Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

The wife and I decidied to go for DQ ice cream. So we jumped into GS.... She hasn't been in the car since the Tubi install.... So starting it up was a total suprise for her.

So we went and came back... when we came back the wife said that riding in the GS was too loud and she wouldn't ride in it ever again....

The maso sounds like a ferrari now... but I do agree with her... It's way too loud.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stock vs. Tubi vs. Larini

Dare I say if you think the Tubi is too loud, you probably should stick with the stock set up. IMHO, the Tubi is the more subdued of the aftermarket systems. See the following YouTube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Xb-qoHCKM. The blue car has the Tubi. Though it's difficult to figure out which car is making what noise, The tubi is the more "muffled" sound (no pun intended), the Larini the more "metallic." Note both these cars have the resonators removed, so they are louder than having just the mufflers replaced.

I'm sure you can find someone who will trade their stock mufflers for the Tubi's, or otherwise pay you appropriately as part of a trade. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The black is mine... But I just realized that it sounds a lot different than it does in person.

Keep in mind that I also have the X pipe... and that the larini is louder in neutral, but once there is a load on the engine its different.

·
Registered
695 Posts
In reference to the video, The first car through the rev range is Jeff's silver GS. He had the Tubi on it - though I don't know what he had in place of the center resonance box. As a fellow Spyder owner - I liked HaHA's setup - X-OST and Tubi mufflers. Ali's larini system had the most "raw" sound, but I feel it would be overwhelming in a droptop.

Undoubtedly, due to the limitations of the mic on the video cam, it is hard to distinguish the sound quality. In person, the three cars had three very distinct sounds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In reference to the video, The first car through the rev range is Jeff's silver GS. He had the Tubi on it - though I don't know what he had in place of the center resonance box. As a fellow Spyder owner - I liked HaHA's setup - X-OST and Tubi mufflers. Ali's larini system had the most "raw" sound, but I feel it would be overwhelming in a droptop.

Undoubtedly, due to the limitations of the mic on the video cam, it is hard to distinguish the sound quality. In person, the three cars had three very distinct sounds.
I was in Jeff's car last weekend when I was testing out the DBW and springs... and his car doesn't have anything on this beast of a car.

I really liked Jeff's sound.... I would say it was 20% louder than stock.... but the Tubi sounds like the Ferrari in the Shell commerical when they are driving to/through Hong Kong's Tunnel (I miss Hong Kong, fun place) in the F1 car.... 100% louder than stock.

A little off topic... does anyone know why exhust "pops" when I let go of the gas?

·
Registered
357 Posts
does anyone know why exhust "pops" when I let go of the gas?
The exhaust "pops" on throttle-off deceleration when the mixture is lean.

Increasing the flow rate of the exhaust, without altering the fuel delivery and, ideally, valve timing will result in a lean mixture. To fully benefit from your exhaust flow improvements, a little tuning on the "chip" might prove fruitful. Then again, the "pops" sound cool. :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey Gang,

The wife and I decidied to go for DQ ice cream. So we jumped into GS.... She hasn't been in the car since the Tubi install.... So starting it up was a total suprise for her.

So we went and came back... when we came back the wife said that riding in the GS was too loud and she wouldn't ride in it ever again....

The maso sounds like a ferrari now... but I do agree with her... It's way too loud.
just get the wife a merc. my wife said the same thing initially but loves it now :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey Gang,

Did you save your stock mufflers?

Suprised to hear she thought it was too loud. was it the added attention you may have been receiving due to the enhanced exhaust? Honestly its not that loud, especially when your cruising.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
just get the wife a merc. my wife said the same thing initially but loves it now :D
My wife hates MB.... she had the ML (Mommy Limo) and we got rid of it... and now we got the RRS-SC for her and she loves that.... and my dad has the SL55... and that's a POS in my personal opinion and she agrees...

I'll drive it some more to see if she gets used to it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you save your stock mufflers?

Suprised to hear she thought it was too loud. was it the added attention you may have been receiving due to the enhanced exhaust? Honestly its not that loud, especially when your cruising.
On the highway... it's not that bad... but we live on the quite street... and I have a feeling that everyone on my block think that we are the token drug dealer... so less attention... the better :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Larini here on My 2004 Coupe

I posted awhile back;manual 6 speed; got the Larini from Jeff at FD; mufflers only; DID NOT take out the resonators or add a X pipe. My installer Franz Blam Racing here in Atlanta said that most Suits" like me would fine the X and the resonator removal too loud and almost always came back 2-3 days later to have it put back....the Larini is JUST RIGHT this way; my wife has not complained at all; it sounds great on acceleration; at idle and really nice on the under passes! For me I could not do anymore noise in the cabin....just the mufflers was all I needed............and I AM VERY HAPPY! JEFF, let's do the DBW!!!

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Thanks Doc, we can help you with the DBW for sure.

For your exhaust I would suggest NO X-pipe, keep the stock resonators along with a set of the Larini Mufflers. Great Sound. The X-pipe sounds amazing but is quite a bit louder. The Doc is spot on!

Another option is to go with the GranSport Exhaust. There are probably a few customers out there who have upgraded that may be happy to sell theirs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is soooo weird.... ever since I got the dbw and ecu from Jeff at FD... the tubi is not as loud....

I wonder why?

Oh yeah... no more poppin' also

1 - 20 of 23 Posts