Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quattroporte Sport GT Tubi install & a couple gratuitous pics

Today I installed the Tubi mufflers on the Quattroporte Sport GT. Extremely easy job and took me ~2 hours start to finish. I have a lift which really made the job a piece of cake. Sound is really nice but honestly hoped it would be a tad louder. I'm going to order a Larini X-pipe from Jeff and remove the small muffler in front of the factory X. I did as much research as possible by listening to all the sound clips I could find on the net (thanks to those of you who also posted some for me) and decided on the Tubi for 2 reasons. First, both my wife and I decided it sounded the best of what we could find. It had a deeper note than others we saw. Second, this is our first Italian car and what else would you put on your first? I know there are less expensive systems but it had to be Tubi this time....

Here's a couple pics:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Beautiful

Great pix, and a really fine looking QP as well. Any sound clips of the new Tubi system? Well done, John

·
Registered
2004 Honda Inspire :-)
307 Posts
the car looks beautiful....nice install by the way:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Great pix, and a really fine looking QP as well. Any sound clips of the new Tubi system? Well done, John
I'm a rookie at You-Tube but here is a b/f and after: (NOTE the b/f vid was recorded in a garage with different aucostics than the after video - it echoed more....). The Tubi system is most definitely louder while driving the car but we're still going to add the X-pipe to get more sound......

b/f

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieox_MysCe8
after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq2s1mOAWRc

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow!

That is a GREAT looking car with a GREAT sounding exhaust!! I have Tubi on my 2003 Maser Coupe CC and get compliments ALL the time on the sound! Drive carefully and enjoy.:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great looking car, can't believe how clean it looks on the underside, looks like it has never seen rain! Congrats and hope the X-pipe works out.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Chuck,

I have been considering the x-pipe as well for my QP. Like you, I have the Tubi mufflers.

Is this something you are going to puruse soon? Would love to speak with you about the results.

BTW, your center resonator looks slightly different than mine. Perhaps since mine is a Duoselect, the packaging is different. I believe the same x-pipe fits both cars though. Do you happen to know?

Thanks,

·
Registered
339 Posts
Like the 928, is that a factory color? I had a '78 5 spd in graphite with camel interior, my first sports car and loved it. Was backed into by a mini van while in traffic (seems to be a common problem with me lately) and after that it was never the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That is a GREAT looking car with a GREAT sounding exhaust!! I have Tubi on my 2003 Maser Coupe CC and get compliments ALL the time on the sound! Drive carefully and enjoy.:)
Great looking car, can't believe how clean it looks on the underside, looks like it has never seen rain! Congrats and hope the X-pipe works out.
Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing when I got to take a look at the underside. I agree, it doesn't look like it saw much rain if any. All the door jams, under the trunk, the hood, behind the grills its all spotless. The car was originally sold new the last day of November last year and has 6500 miles so if it's seen rain, it hasn't seen much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chuck,

I have been considering the x-pipe as well for my QP. Like you, I have the Tubi mufflers.

Is this something you are going to puruse soon? Would love to speak with you about the results.

BTW, your center resonator looks slightly different than mine. Perhaps since mine is a Duoselect, the packaging is different. I believe the same x-pipe fits both cars though. Do you happen to know?

Thanks,
I was out all day today but will order one from Jeff tomorrow. The exhaust set up on the Sport GT is different that on the Exec GT but I'm not totally sure what the differences are. I don't think the Exec GT has an x-pipe from the factory while the Sport GT does. Problem is, the Sport GT X-pipe has a muffler attached to it. I would assume that if you do an x-pipe and the mufflers our systems would be the same at that point? Hopefully if Jeff has it in stock I could have it by the weekend and report back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like the 928, is that a factory color? I had a '78 5 spd in graphite with camel interior, my first sports car and loved it. Was backed into by a mini van while in traffic (seems to be a common problem with me lately) and after that it was never the same.
Hi Ron, Yes, this is a factory color. It's called Light Green Metallic. It has the wild op-art interior and is literally a brand new with only 1,480 original miles. This car has the original Pirelli CN36's on it (well not now, I have another set of wheels and tires in the above picture). I will be in the Hilton Head Island Concours d'Elegance in late October.

There are a ton more pics of Kermit here: http://www.928registry.org/1978-928-0816.htm

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
They do mate, I saw a red x displayed and thought it didn't work but it did ...

The after sounds unbelievable
(though stock's pretty good too :D)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They do mate, I saw a red x displayed and thought it didn't work but it did ...

The after sounds unbelievable
(though stock's pretty good too :D)
Sorry about that. The two vids I posted were my first ever so I guess I'm still a rookie at it? I'll get better......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts