Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a water leak in my trunk for about 6 months now. It does not leak just sitting in the rain. But it leaks quite a bit when I drive it in the rain. It is leaking somewhere around the battery.

I first found out about the issue when my bags were getting wet in the trunk. So I started pulling out the trunk interior and found 2-3in of stinky water in the spare tire well!

I first thought it was the spare tire well seal. It is not, as it is leaking up higher first. Checked the trunk seal, looks good and is dry.

Second; I checked the rubber grommets in the floor and they seem ok. Then pulled off the rear wheel and carpet fender liner. Did not see any holes or cracks. Back inside the trunk, I see a break in the body seam sealer under the passenger's taillight. So I caulked it shut. Still leaks.

Today drove it in the rain today and under the battery is wet. Looking through the holes in the sheet metal battery tray at the interior wheel well, I see the caulking stops right under the battery halfway to the outer fender. Looks wet.

Anyone know if the entire inner wheel well seam is completely caulked under your battery? Mine is not and I do not see any easy way to get to it to caulk it. It is almost like the assembler forgot to caulk before the battery tray was welded in?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is it possible for water to come through the hole that holds the spare? I had taken out the spare, found water in the trunk, taped up the hole and water problem solved for now. I'm still testing in this rainy Seattle weather.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Found the leak

Hi,
I own a collision repair shop and when I inspected my 04 coupe before I bought it the trunk had water in it. Dealer said the trunk needed adjusted and there was a tear in the gasket. I said sure replace it all along knowing water does not usually leak from there. After getting car I dissambled all of the interior in the trunk and started looking around. Saw all the same problems you are talking about. Poor seam sealer around tail lamps and rear body panel. I resealed also and tested again. Still leaked. Finally got my sorry butt into the trunk with a flash light ( not a easy task athough I'm not very big) and had a tech pour water over it. I found it was leaking at the gasket around the fuel neck and working its way down toward the battery area then into the spare tire area. I hope that helps. Best advise is to literally go feet first into the trunk with a flash light until you find it.

Ken

·
Registered
55 Posts
Leaks In My '03 Spyder Too

I recently purchased an '03 with 13,500 miles and just noticed that the bottom of the trunk well has moisture.

Thanks for this info. It give me a place to start.
-Mike S.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since mine seems to only leak when I am moving, I guess my wife gets to lock me in the trunk and drive around... Should be interesting!

·
Registered
52 Posts
leaking trunk

Good luck!

Glad to be help. Make your wife take a picture of you crammed into the truck like a sardine. Just be sure to take all the interior out in the trunk. Not very hard since it is only clipped with x-mas tree clips. If you break one or two you can pick them up at Shucks or stop by your neighborhood collision shop, we have them in stock. Water tends to meander around things like when your roof leaks so you need a clear view.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on the trunk leak

Well I had my 5.5yr old daughter crawl into the trunk with a flashlight and look for leaks while I hosed-down various areas.

It looks like the leak was coming from the gas filler area. So I unscrewed the filler hose and put plumbers putty on top of the foam gasket to seal it. Then tired the hose again. Still leaking but less.

Next I noticed the filler door release cable assembly fit was very loose. So I siliconed around and under the rubbery-plastic type gasket. Tried the host again and it seems to be good now.

So the water was leaking down from the gas filler area and when I would accelerate, the water would run back toward the battery/brake light area. SO much, it was flooding the spare wheel tub.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thank you guys all for doing all the investigative work and report back to share with rest of us.

Grazie Mille.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think we should do a poll. ( I dont know how to) I have the same issue. I had a 05' GS that did it and my 06' MCV does it as well. I took them to the dealer many times and they said that they cant do anything. They were never able to find the cause. Also at one point I had about 3 inches of water lining the trunk...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sure the big leak was around the cable release for the gas filler door. It was easy to twist it by hand all the way around.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I am sure the big leak was around the cable release for the gas filler door. It was easy to twist it by hand all the way around.
You should go back to the dealer and tell them that your five year old figured out the problem.....thank you very much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, you didn't follow my advice and get yourself into the trunk. Putting a 5.5 yr old daughter in a trunk is grounds for calling Child Protection Services. I'll forward your user account to them. Seriously, glad that you found the leak, it was really frustrating for me also but now so gratifying when I see a dry trunk area.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
hmm interesting, my GS doesn't have this problem... but I'm wondering if its due to the way we put gas in the car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had this problem I replaced the trunk gasket and adjusted the trunk. Problem solved dont know about the issues around the filler cap

·
Registered
217 Posts
After finding the bottom of the spare tire area filled with water within inches of my aftermarket stereo amplifiers, I completely ripped apart the entire trunk to find where it was coming from. I wound up using Dynamat over the entire tub and added additional weather stripping around any seals. I also added a few nylon washers where I could.

After testing for a few weeks, it looks like the water is emanating from the driver's side wheel well. It looks as if some sort of wiring/sensor was supposed to tunnel through a factory drilled hole. In the picture, you can see that the gravel guard is right under this hole. The factory just covered the blank hole with some thin tape which eventually failed. Maybe they never thought the car would wind up in rainy Seattle? I would have just taken it into the dealer to take care of under the Coupe's last month of warranty, but did not feel like going through the hassle and leaving it there for an undetermined length of time. I wound up sealing the hole and then took the car out for a spirited drive up through some twisty roads on Chuckanut drive towards Canada and back down I-5. It really began to pour for a good 60 miles of highway driving. I opened the trunk for a quick inspection and everything is perfectly dry. Hopefully this is the same area others have been having issues with as it is a relatively easy fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
After finding the bottom of the spare tire area filled with water within inches of my aftermarket stereo amplifiers, I completely ripped apart the entire trunk to find where it was coming from. I wound up using Dynamat over the entire tub and added additional weather stripping around any seals. I also added a few nylon washers where I could.

After testing for a few weeks, it looks like the water is emanating from the driver's side wheel well. It looks as if some sort of wiring/sensor was supposed to tunnel through a factory drilled hole. In the picture, you can see that the gravel guard is right under this hole. The factory just covered the blank hole with some thin tape which eventually failed. Maybe they never thought the car would wind up in rainy Seattle? I would have just taken it into the dealer to take care of under the Coupe's last month of warranty, but did not feel like going through the hassle and leaving it there for an undetermined length of time. I wound up sealing the hole and then took the car out for a spirited drive up through some twisty roads on Chuckanut drive towards Canada and back down I-5. It really began to pour for a good 60 miles of highway driving. I opened the trunk for a quick inspection and everything is perfectly dry. Hopefully this is the same area others have been having issues with as it is a relatively easy fix.
Great Find Guy! That's crazy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts