Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told by the dealer Im buying this car off, that the exhaust valves don't open when the sport button is pushed, on the series 1?
It's a 2010 Grandtourism S Auto. 4.7L
Australian delivered MC Sportline.
They open under vacuum with 2,000 + RPM and when cold startup and the electric solenoid is fitted to the mufflers? As shown in the pick. What's your opinion?

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
The opening is modulated by the voltage applied to the solenoid. Not entirely clear what program you have but they should open gradually as the revs rise up to (I believe) full opening at 3500.

Not quite sure what your question is, though?
C

·
Registered
51 Posts
They are “open” by default. When you start your car the vacuum builds and closes them. On my 2014 the valves would open in sport and above 3k rpm only. I disconnected the lines and plugged them. They are always open now! Best mod

·
Registered
301 Posts
I did not like the idea of it opening up only after 3500 rpm.. so i installed a valve control kit which lets me pick when i want it open or closed. I always drive it open with sports mode on at all times..

One of the main reasons i bought the car was for the exhaust note.. which i want to hear at all times

·
Registered
301 Posts
When the sport button is pushed to ON, don’t the valves stay open at all time, at any RPM level, even idle ?
nope

when u accelerate it opens once your rpm needle goes over 3500

i think on MC models it stays open with sports button

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
At idle, Sport button pushed valves partially opened, gear shift pushed over to manual mode very prominent exhaust note change from idle.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
From what I have read (and tested) when you are in sport mode and in drive, the valves are partially open and fully open at 3500 rpm, However when you are in sport mode and put it into manual mode, they are fully open. I encourage everyone to experiment.......?

·
Registered
33 Posts
When the sport button is pushed to ON, don’t the valves stay open at all time, at any RPM level, even idle ?
I believe they are only always open when it’s sports mode plus manual shift mode, so I disconnected my valves also.

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
From what I have read (and tested) when you are in sport mode and in drive, the valves are partially open and fully open at 3500 rpm, However when you are in sport mode and put it into manual mode, they are fully open. I encourage everyone to experiment.......?
This is the right of it, I believe, but it does depend on the car and the software....

C

·
Registered
153 Posts
The valves in my '11 open at 3k RPM, but only when sport mode is activated. I would assume a '10 would be the same. I'm going to have to do the 'noise mod' on her this spring. Maybe get the kit from FD with the remote....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I only drive my car in Sport mode Manual.
There is not other way to drive this car if you want to hear the lovely sound.
If you go to auto mode, then it is only at 3K RPMs
You can buy the kit that allows you to open and close on demand.
The mod to leave them open is not recommended, because they will never close and when you want to remove the mod, they will be frozen in that position because they never moved.

I also disengage sport mode and manual when I see a cop or when I leave my gated community.
I don't need complainers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
2009 S with the ZF transmission. Mine requires Sport mode. Then, it will open at 3000 RPMs regardless of being in auto or manual.

Something my car does, even out of sport mode, is that it will partially open the valves depending on the load. It will generate a resonating a loud deep tone during acceleration. One the load lessens, it will quiet down. I don't have that trigger pinned down, but it sounds really cool when it does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only drive my car in Sport mode Manual.
There is not other way to drive this car if you want to hear the lovely sound.
If you go to auto mode, then it is only at 3K RPMs
You can buy the kit that allows you to open and close on demand.
The mod to leave them open is not recommended, because they will never close and when you want to remove the mod, they will be frozen in that position because they never moved.

I also disengage sport mode and manual when I see a cop or when I leave my gated community.
I don't need complainers!
Thanks for that good advice mate.👌
2009 S with the ZF transmission. Mine requires Sport mode. Then, it will open at 3000 RPMs regardless of being in auto or manual.

Something my car does, even out of sport mode, is that it will partially open the valves depending on the load. It will generate a resonating a loud deep tone during acceleration. One the load lessens, it will quiet down. I don't have that trigger pinned down, but it sounds really cool when it does.
That might be similar to mine, same gearbox and a year later. I haven't taken delivery yet but trying to work out if is faulty. So what happens on your car when at idle you hit the spot button and then put the stick into manual? Can you hear the exhaust change note? The later models change when you do this?
Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for that good advice mate.👌

That might be similar to mine, same gearbox and a year later. I haven't taken delivery yet but trying to work out if is faulty. So what happens on your car when at idle you hit the spot button and then put the stick into manual? Can you hear the exhaust change note? The later models change when you do this?
Cheers
There's no difference in sound at idle between auto mode in D and manual mode in 1 / 2 while stopped. There's also no difference between P and N at idle, and the valves don't seem to open when I rev past 3000 RPM while in those 2 gear modes.

Later S cars are rated for higher HP, so it is possible for them to behave a little differently. Doubtful until some owners can chime in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The exhaust valves on the GTMC models open immediately when you push the sport button and stay open regardless of rpm.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There's no difference in sound at idle between auto mode in D and manual mode in 1 / 2 while stopped. There's also no difference between P and N at idle, and the valves don't seem to open when I rev past 3000 RPM while in those 2 gear modes.

Later S cars are rated for higher HP, so it is possible for them to behave a little differently. Doubtful until some owners can chime in.

2012 Sport here.
Like I said in Manual mode my valves open.
I know they do bc if I am at a light in sport auto and shift to manual, it immediately gets louder,
Obviously no change in P or N, I have to be in 1 to get the sound louder.

Sounds like you have a vacuum issue Probably someone plugged them with the golf tees and either stuck open or closed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
MC exhaust is exclusive to MC and not the same as base and sport exhausts. It's actually named that specifically to differentiate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts