Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having an issue starting my 4200 spyder today. Admittedly, I haven't driven her in over 3 weeks because I've been out of town a lot lately. I usually try to drive her at least once a week, so I'm sure this is my fault for neglect.

When I try to start and turn the engine over, the starter just clicks rapidly, but the engine never turns over. Could this be a battery problem? I have an Optima yellow top battery in it that is less than 1.5 years old.

It seems to me like a low voltage battery issue, so I think I'll try to recharge it. Do you need to disconnect both terminals before recharging, or can you just disconnect the battery master switch and recharge with the terminals connected?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Either the battery is weak or starter issues. DO NOT JUMP START IT. Double check your battery. Maybe take it out or disconnect it to charge it if you can. But if the battery is eliminated from the problem, i say its the starter solonoid or starter itself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like its a battery issue...voltage is down around 10V. Does the battery need to be completely disconnected to charge or can it just be shut off at the battery master switch?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just disconnected the terminals to be safe. I remembered that my aftermarket stereo amp does not run through the master switch, so I would not be able to disconnect it without removing main terminal leads. Its on a 15A rapid recharge now! Hopefully this will solve the problem...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that was the issue...charged up the Optima yellow top battery and the engine fires up perfectly normal! Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I travel a lot too and often don't drive for a couple weeks or so... Prior to putting on a tender charger, I had the same problem even with a new battery. Have had the tender for about 3 years now, never an issue starting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dead battery - no trunk access

I have the same issue on my 2007 Quattroporte Sport GT but I was away too long and the battery is dead. Of course I can't access the trunk after several attempts of pushing down while turning the key. (Has not worked in the past as well) I've seen suggestions directing others to gain a quick charge through the passenger footwell, fuse box rods under the hood or alternator wire...ANY SUGGESTIONS when it comes to this? I'm trying to get a quick charge so I can pop the trunk with the remote or dash button. This is my last effort before I have it towed to the dealer$$$ Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2007 Quattroporte Sport GT but I was away too long and the battery is dead. Of course I can't access the trunk after several attempts of pushing down while turning the key. (Has not worked in the past as well) I've seen suggestions directing others to gain a quick charge through the passenger footwell, fuse box rods under the hood or alternator wire...ANY SUGGESTIONS when it comes to this? I'm trying to get a quick charge so I can pop the trunk with the remote or dash button. This is my last effort before I have it towed to the dealer$$$ Thanks in advance.
Here is a thread that discusses various methods of gaining access to the trunk (or boot as they say)....
Dead battery?boot access

Hopefully one method works for you!! Good luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
starting problem

Had the similar issue yday here in So. Cal. Got ready for work and car wouldn't start. There still seemed to be some juice left in the battery since the remote key was working.
I got this battery tender from ORielly auto parts.
Battery Tender 021-0128 - Automatic Battery Charger | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Connecting it was pretty easy, although i wish it had a longer cable, had to use an extension cord.
Left it plugged in since last night and will check when i get home this evening. Wish me luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts