Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the opportunity to ride along on a few laps with Andrea Piccini in the Trofeo.

The overall speed and cornering braking were way beyond anything Ive seen before with any car, including the Maserati.

I took a few pictures and would like some assistance with the exhaust setup.
The car sounds fantastic and, if possible, would like to try and duplicate on my coupe.

I have two areas of concern: Will I loose power from a reduction of back pressure? Will there warning lights popping up on my dash from this new exhaust? I took some pics of the system, so if anyone can shed some light on this idea, I would appreciate it.

I know the Trofeo has about 425 hp and is probably tuned differently, and info about the difference between this engine set up and the road version?
im not sure if those differences account for the sound produced as well?

Im thinking of buying the parts from either an independent or if necessary, the dealer, then having an independent do the install. I would also keep the parts in case I need to re-install them in the event of a problem or sale of the car.

Note: the 2nd to last picture is a close up of picture #3. I am not sure what this part is. any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's the stock center resonator and x pipe you'll find an any coupe. Looks like they've just removed the second set of CATs. And if that last picture is in the back they just removed the back boxes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pictures are in order from front to back.

There are straight pipes from the center box to the rear of the car.

The last picture is of the exhaust tip,just before the rear bumper, where the exhaust piping goes from one pipe to dual.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wonder how much the trofeos will go for as they get sold from the driving schools etc?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yep. Pre-cats only; no primary cats. The Lambda sensors are in the pre cats and thermocouples are in the pipe just before the cats so cutting out the cats doesn't upset the computer. As mentioned, stock central silencer and X pipe. Rear boxes removed and split into dual tips. Looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I checked my car out and you guys are right, its looks pretty much the same execept the rear box/tubi is just pipe.
but Im a bit confused on determining the cat & pre cat. I assumed that was in the first picture after the exhaust manifold.

BuzeeZee, There is an exhaust system diagram in your thread regarding your blown out cats. I reposted below, excellent sources of info from CubeB.
Which #'s are the pre-cat and cat?

Looks like this is going to be much easier than I thought., however I think there may possibly be some differences as why would the trofeo have a need for any cats at all. I know ferrari offers a standard and racing type of cat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
So, I checked my car out and you guys are right, its looks pretty much the same execept the rear box/tubi is just pipe.
but Im a bit confused on determining the cat & pre cat. I assumed that was in the first picture after the exhaust manifold.

BuzeeZee, There is an exhaust system diagram in your thread regarding your blown out cats. I reposted below, excellent sources of info from CubeB.
Which #'s are the pre-cat and cat?

Looks like this is going to be much easier than I thought., however I think there may possibly be some differences as why would the trofeo have a need for any cats at all. I know ferrari offers a standard and racing type of cat.
Item 1 is the catalytic converter chain (the pre-cat and cat are one unit). It consists of the pre-cats, which are right at the exhaust manifolds, then the crimped pipes to fit under the steering box (if they weren't crimped there'd be a clearence problem), then finally the cats (big tanks). The Trofeo set-up cut the cats from the pre-cats right after the thermocouple threads. I don't think it's a good idea to remove any of your catalytic converters. I know the Trofeo doesn't have the main cats but they were put on our cars for a reason. I never have and never will mess with cats because I worry it will mess with the O2 sensors, which can cause the engine to run lean and hot. But then, I'm just a worry wart :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do our cars some stock with headers?

I confess some ignorance here, but isn't the difference between a run of the mill exhaust manifold and headers is that the former is simply a junction of exhaust flow into a single tube whereas headers are tuned tubes based on the firing pulses of each respective cylinder? Looking at the exploded diagram BUZZ attached to his response, it would appear we have "headers." Am I correct?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks buzz for the clarification and dchao for the parts list.

I may take of the rear boxes and see how it sounds then continue on if necessary.

When you took off your rear boxes, how was the sound compared to the tubi setup?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the paddles.

They should be standard on the Coupe. I cannot reach them in an extreme turn. I wonder if those are for sale.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I confess some ignorance here, but isn't the difference between a run of the mill exhaust manifold and headers is that the former is simply a junction of exhaust flow into a single tube whereas headers are tuned tubes based on the firing pulses of each respective cylinder? Looking at the exploded diagram BUZZ attached to his response, it would appear we have "headers." Am I correct?
Exhaust headers/manifolds, aren't they the same thing?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Exhaust manifolds are typically cast iron, and a direct 4 into 1 cast.

Headers, also known as tubular exhaust manifolds, are generally mandrel bent tubes, or carefully cut and welded tube sections. The lengths and diameters are used to tune the exhaust flow, which can make big performance differences, like the rest of the exhaust.

Cast manifolds aren't usually equal length, or pretty:

4 into 2 into 1 equal length header: (these also take firing order into account)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks! So it does look like the exhaust headers in our cars are mandrel-bent stainless tubes, carefully tuned for max flow and performance. :cool:

I'm sure cast iron is cheaper, less labor intensive, it just shows that Maserati doesn't like to compromise on performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts