Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a trickle charger for my car with a plug that fits onto the charging connector in the boot(trunk). One of the tech's at my dealer said these cars leave a lot of systems on stand-by and can run the battery down if the car is not driven a lot. Now I was wondering what the best way to connect the charger was, connect and shut the boot(trunk) with wire trapped or leave the boot open (although this will leave a little light on inside) with the alarm off. My main concern was that the auto close mechanism of the boot may be damaged if there isn't enough room for the wire to pass between the boot seal.

What do you guys do?

thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not a problem......

Now, I must admit that I have a 2003 Coupe and am not real familiar with the QP trunk, but in my car the battery is on the right side as you look into the trunk. It is covered by a hard cover. When I purchased the car, it already had a trickle charger connection to the battery posts. The battery connection sneaks out from behind the cover at the bottom. EVERY TIME I park the car in the garage, I connect the battery connections to the actual charger wire. I close the deck lid gently (not completely closed) on the connection wires to the wall charger. I HAVE NEVER had a problem with this procedure and the car ALWAYS starts up IMMEDIATELY. Similar trickle charging units can be purchased at most any auto parts store. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Now I was wondering what the best way to connect the charger was, connect and shut the boot(trunk) with wire trapped or leave the boot open (although this will leave a little light on inside) with the alarm off. ---
If that light stays on it may draw more current than the trickle charger can supply!

Do what Carmine suggests.

You should also be able to close the trunk and the wire will follow w/in the seal. This is what I have been doing with my CL500.

I move the charger between two vehicles all the time. It's good practice.

The CL500 is going back to M-B in a week under the lemon law and that leaves space for something new!

However I will always keep my cars on a tender. Greatly extends the battery life.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just set the boot lid down very softly so it does not engage the latch on my qp and the coupe i do the same

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the response guys. I connected the charger earlier and closed the boot/trunk so that the auto close engaged. The wire could still be pulled/pushed through with moderate resistance so all should be fine.

I used this charger , it supplies 1.8A then keeps the battery topped up once it reaches 14.3v(some figure like that)

http://www.bannerbatteries.com/banner/produkte/batterien/zubehoer/index2_en.php

·
Registered
793 Posts
Interstate makes a very good one that others private label. It's around $60.00.

What I found that's best to do is to go to an auto parts store and buy a two-wire trailer connector. I cut one end and then add two insulated large "ring tongues" which are circular connectors. I then solder to the two leads to these rings and permanently mount the leads to the battery.

This way the on/off connection to the charger is easier and safer from grounding. Better than using alligator clamps.

Works great every time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, my car actually came with a lead attached to the battery with a connector on it that the charger clips onto. Not sure if its factory fit or dealer fit but it seems professionally done (rather than a DIY job).

On another note, its funny with the geographics of this site, here in the UK we call them Crocodile clips.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One of the tech's at my dealer said these cars leave a lot of systems on stand-by and can run the battery down if the car is not driven a lot.
how much is a lot?

ive put less than 9K miles since purchased new 11/2006? and have not had any issues with the batteries? ... yet ...

·
Registered
250 Posts
If that light stays on it may draw more current than the trickle charger can supply!
On my 2005 QP the boot light turns off after a few minutes. I leave the boot lid down and unlocked/ not closed. I use the Deltran Battery Tender, which is the company that makes units manufactured under private label for AC/Delco, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, BMW Automotive, Polaris Industries, Lamborgini, and Interstate Batteries of America. You can purchase them off ebay for around $45.00. They also have single units that can charge 2 or 4 banks of batteries simultaneously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts