Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my multi hour drive during a terrential rain storm the red transmission light came on very briefly and went away after about a minute. Is my transmission about to explode? Do the transmissions from the quattroportes fit in the 4200? The used ones seem a lot cheaper to buy? Damn. I just bought the car yesterday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just keep an eye on it. It's most likely some water has got into an electrical connection.
I had the gearbox failure warning light come because i adjusted the brake light switch.
I love the colour of your car.

·
Registered
508 Posts
the part numbers are different, so i'd reckon no.
a transmission warning light can indicate soooo many things that aren't replace trans, unless throwing spaghetti at the wall is in the playbook.
if the light came on, a stored dtc ought to exist. i'd start there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man. you made me feel a bit better. It happened again this morning when I had been driving for about ten minutes. It was not accompanied by any change in the feel of the car. it beeped at me three sets of double beeps and then went out and has not come on for the rest of the day. I do notice that there is a bit of a thud that sort of feels like it's coming from the rear when the gears change but I noticed this on my boss's 4200 as well as another one I drove. Is this normal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely get it checked with an OBD2 scan for peace of mind. As for the thud mine dose the same when driving it hard. I've had my car on a hoist a few times and couldn't find any worn bushes around the back end.

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
It's very very unlikely to be the 'transmission' per se. I'm assuming you have a F1 model? Check the fluid level first. You might want to replace the pump relay (cheap and easy) but getting the codes read is best bet. Sadly an OBDII reader won't cut it, you need a proper indy or dealer kit :(
C

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do like your car’s color combo! My 4200 also has a periodic gear light accompanied by a soft shutdown. I turn the key off and back on, engage first and start again. In order to get this fixed I will need to get it scanned at a competent shop to find the actual failure point amongst the dozen solenoids, sensors, relays as well as hydraulic and mechanical connections. I suspect you are in about the same situation. So, it is probably not going to blow up, but it won’t be right until you take it to be diagnosed. In fact the mechanical transmission itself is fairly bulletproof. Do you have a competent dealer or Indy? Tell us where you are and you might get some recommendations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a great indy to work on the car locally. the light hasn't come on since my post and it has been a few days now. the previous owner produced receipts for the last year that included a clutch and f1 pump install at Ferrari. However, I was sitting in traffic two days ago and I got stuck behind a dump truck turning right and because there was no one behind me at the time, I tried to reverse a bit so that I could go around the truck. within about 3 seconds of putting the car into reverse gear, it stalled. I started it right away and drove it without problem and it hasn't stalled since. what does this mean?

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
It means you want to get someone with a diagnostic machine to check it. Failure to select reverse correctly can be the first symptom of clutch issues. New clutch notwithstanding it might also be a factor if the complete set on ancillaries were changed.

Of course, she may have just been in a mood with you, so right now, I'd carry on driving.

C

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an unsubstantiated theory, so really not a theory at all. I think, based on the fact that most of my “gear light-shut down” have occurred when I was going over speed bumps and always in or going to/from 2nd gear, that the fluid is sloshing in the tank just the right way to trip the level sensor. This tells the car to shut down ASAP. It does what I would call a controlled shut down. It won’t let me shift or accelerate but the engine keeps running, to keep the PS PB and all the other electronics running, plus, better some hydraulic pressure than none. Then as soon as the speed goes below 2-3mph is kills the engine.
again if I turn the key off and restart. All is good again.
I have added fluid and taken out fluid and the problem remains. (Not supporting my theory).
So that’s my little theory. But I need to go see Jason at Enzos in Marietta to know the truth.
As far as your reverse issue it could be explained by my theory. But if you want it fixed, it needs to be scanned and diagnosed.

2,966 Posts
Being low on fluid will not cause one to cut off..It just turns on the light...Just had one blow a hyd. line on a test drive and still limped it back to the shop low on fluid...Jason

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Catman, Jason. Ok Theory Debunked. Anyway, something correlated with speed bumps is causing it. We will get to the bottom of it soon. I’ll schedule a time with Vance.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
On my multi hour drive during a terrential rain storm the red transmission light came on very briefly and went away after about a minute. Is my transmission about to explode? Do the transmissions from the quattroportes fit in the 4200? The used ones seem a lot cheaper to buy? Damn. I just bought the car yesterday.
These transmissions are quite possibly the most durable transmissions ever made. I'm referring to the gearbox. I've never heard of one legitimately fail. Not even the syncros, nothing.

The F1 system, however, controls the shifting and clutch actions of the car, and that can have issues. This is typically where the fault lies when your "trans failure" light appears. The good news is that all the components that make up the F1 system are modular and can be removed and replaced quite easily. The expensive part comes in bad diagnosis or just throwing parts at it, or even worse - replacing a perfectly good transmission!

Take it over to Jason if you're in that area and get a proper diagnosis/repair and you'll be on the road again worry free.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just an interesting aside. I worked for Graziano Trasmissioni for 15 years doing sales in the US, but on my trips to Italy I would rub shoulders with the Automotove Sales and Engineering team. These guys were good. “Belt and Suspenders” approach to sizing things versus possible loads. You would think that they would work from the engine torque capability, but it is the other way around. They look at the weight on the rear wheels, the coefficient of friction of slicks on concrete and work backwards. You can’t put more torque thru the tranny then the wheels can put to the ground. Obviously some safety factors are involved as well.
the drawings for the CC transmission were up on the drafting tables when I joined them in 2002. After that the Aventador, McLaren and the new Huracan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The aventador was different too. Single clutch. But it had independent shift rods. So while the m138/9 was a manual with a normal H pattern and a box on top to make it shift, the Aventador was built to be shifted by paddle command. No stick option.
first and second are on different rods so while one is being pulled out the other is being pushed in. It is only “out” of gear for a millisecond. I had a ride along on a test run once. Launch and thru 3gears before we ran out of track. The shifts in Corsa mode at full throttle are “violent”.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts