Maserati Forum banner

Transmission flush and fill...how difficult?

19K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Sakyubasu 
#1 ·
I made an appointment at the local Maserati dealership to have a few minor warranty issues taken care of on my 2013 GT convertible. I spoke with my service advisor and told her that I also want to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled, along with having the brake fluid flushed and refilled. The service advisor told me that there’s no issue with doing the brake fluid, but doing the transmission fluid might be “too difficult” for their certified technicians. I was somewhat surprised by the comment but decided not to say anything. I know a local shop that can do it if the dealership isn’t willing to.

Is the transmission fluid flush and fill such a diffuclt process that even a Maserati dealership won’t do it? Heck, it’s just a ZF transmission...nothing exotic about it at all.

#43 ·
I replaced the valve body assembly on my old Cayenne years back. While it wasn't a ZF (Aisin if I remember right) the fill procedure sounds the same. I just bought one of the smaller Motive power fill units, was something like $50. Has a curved end made for tasks just like this. I ended up cutting it off at a different angle to get it to fit, but it worked just fine.

Still it was a terribly messy job!!

Edit: something like this, ok it's now $65....

#44 ·
Ok. The CSTC kit with 6 quarts of ZF Lifeguard, filter, gasket, and plugs came in. I completed the job but I think the fluid is either low or overfilled because it wasn't driving right and gave me a warning light. I was able to pump some 3 quarts up before it started leaking. Then I did the P-D-R thing repeatedly until the oil felt like a hot shower, pumped another 2 qts in and at just over 5 qts, it was hot and actively pouring out the fill hole. The car was as level as I could get it but slightly higher in the front I think (Rhino ramps front, jack & stands rear). Since the plugs are in the rear, that makes me think the fluid level may be slightly low. Do you guys have any suggestions?

#45 ·
Nevermind. I re-read the instructions, saw that it needs to be checked while still running so I pumped the rest of the fluid in and then another 2 quarts... and she was still thirsty at 8 quarts so I'm probably still a half quart low. I put the plug in and started driving and she drives fine now. Note to anyone doing this, if you're doing it manually, you gotta be a pumping fiend. Pump the hell out of it. If you're getting close to max temps, run it for a bit, shut off, and if it's not overflowing, pump some more til it runs out, then run the engine again, doing the P-D-R thing repeatedly and pump some more in until it overflows then put the fill plug in quick before shutting the engine off or you'll have hot fluid all over. It was my first time doing a transmission like this. I'm used to conventional trannies with dipsticks and/or fill ports on the top or side. BTW the sticker on my trans says check it between 50-60 C... does anyone else's? I thought it was supposed to be 40-50 C?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.