Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,524 Posts
Yikes ! And remember the car has to be running !! Hopefully the dog, cat, kids, etc don't jump in and dislodge the shifter putting it in drive while you're under the car . Just kidding, I know your foot has to be on the brake in order to move the shifter from P, and no doubt the EBP is manually in the ON position ,but still.. damn , that does take courage !!

·
Registered
692 Posts
LOL, yeah. if it's any consolation, there are jack stands on pavement under both front and back, and wheel chocks, and the ramps are such that the car wants to roll to the middle. EPB on, park, me underneath in the hollow in the grass whereas the car is on the raised concrete behind, etc. but yeah, still not for the faint of heart.

I need to get a two-post lift for the garage...

and I also need to fix this leak as it's now dumping nearly half a quart a week. apparently the several shops and dealer who all said that the bad bearing sound wasn't something to worry about were not quite right...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
FYI: Received this information ZF regarding our 6 speed transmissions in our Granturismos:

ZF transmissions are generally filled with lifetime oil. However, due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends an oil change after 150,000 km for its transmissions. In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or with unknown vehicle use in the past, it can make sense to change the transmission oil at shorter intervals.

Also attached .pdf instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
i work on alot of BMW's so i see LG6 alot. I mean to properly tap into the trans cooler lines with our flush machine and send 12 quarts through it to "properly" flush it would be $350 in fluid alone. Fluid will still look old by the drain and fill way because the converter holds like 5 quarts by itself. Thats how i do it. To each his own though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Maserati does not have it listed on their service schedule like a lot of other manufactures, but it would not hurt to do it at the 60-75k mark IMOP.....Jason
@[email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta I know this is a 2 year old thread but I spoke with my shop to ask if he could do a comb over of the car and tell me if anything needs to be serviced. He said the car is in good shape with most of the important things being down (oil, diff, filters, belts etc). He said the only thing he MAY recommend changing the transmission fluid but told me not critical to do it now. I was expecting a bigger list of items to service (preventative) but since he saw the car last in December, he said I'm all up to date and nothing looked concerning.

Car has 30K miles. I was thinking of getting it done anyways (since I'm not sure when or if it was ever done before) but then I read this thread. Any benefit to doing it now for peace of mind? Or pass?

5,784 Posts
I would pass on it..At 30K the fluid is still gonna be a golden color honestly...Kinda of a waste of money....Jason

Reactions: Catmanv2

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would pass on it..At 30K the fluid is still gonna be a golden color honestly...Kinda of a waste of money....Jason
Hi Jason,
I did a fluid change (Motul MTL105784 Multi ATF Transmission Oil) at 30K since I have a 2010 GranCabrio and limited service records. I did find the oil to be very dirty, but what was a little surprising and possibly disturbing is that only 3 1/2 liters drained out. The refill would only also take 3 1/2 liters. Is this normal?
I can say that I do feel more responsive shifting as a result of the oil change, but have concerns about the remaining dirty oil in what is listed as a 10 liter reservoir. I followed the procedure in the manual, but is there another approach needed to to do a more complete fluid exchange?

5,784 Posts
There are way to change more of the fluid, but it is gonna be pretty messy honestly..You would need to loosen the cooler lines as you feed in more fluid...I wouldn't fool with it personally....Normally use about 5-6 Qts on a filter change..Are you sure you set the level correctly? Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
I followed the manual which does not call out changing the filter when changing the oil. I suspect that is why I'm at 3.5 vs. 5-6 quarts. Is the transmission filter a service item? The photo of the filter appears to be sheet metal construction. Is it more of a metal particulate sieve or is there an element inside for finer filtration? Andy

5,784 Posts
Normally, you drop the pan and change that as well..At 30K I would not work about it much..It is a plastic filter with a paper type screen...Jason

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
FYI: Received this information ZF regarding our 6 speed transmissions in our Granturismos:

ZF transmissions are generally filled with lifetime oil. However, due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends an oil change after 150,000 km for its transmissions. In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or with unknown vehicle use in the past, it can make sense to change the transmission oil at shorter intervals.

Also attached .pdf instructions.
The above is right from ZF...makes sense to me.

5,784 Posts
While you are dispensing information worth $150/hr for free...when would YOU recommend it be done?
Probably like 75K or so...We work on a lot of Jaguar and and Rover..They also use ZF 5HP and 6HP transmissions so I get to see a lot of transmission fluid...The fluid is way better than the old red stuff...Plus the transmissions use mostly bearings on the inside and not bushings like old American car ones...J

Reactions: Catmanv2

·
Registered
32 Posts
My son was helping me service the car and although I pointed out the engine oil drain plug, he removed the wrong plug and drained the transmission. We got the engine oil changed fine after I realized what he did but still have the transmission drained. I should have known something was wrong when he said the tool I handed him didn't fit. :( I have a kit on order from CTSC.com but in the meantime, I need to get my daily driver rolling down the road. I tried to read all the relevant threads and watch any videos on Youtube but there isn't much. I see there is a fill plug on the transmission case above the pan gasket. This one is hard to access with the tools I have because the space between the exhaust pipe and transmission is minimal. So... is the large 17mm hex head "filler" plug also a fill plug? The diagram on CTSC Maserati 6HP26 Transmission fluid level procedures: The CTSC seems to indicate so. But when I removed that larger plug and stuck my finger up in there, I could feel a small opening near the bottom but the top was capped, so I'm not convinced that filling the transmission through that plug until the fluid runs out is the answer. Can someone clarify?

Is the large 17mm plug the fill plug?
If not, what's the right tool to fit on the side drain plug around the exhaust pipe?
Which readily available fluid can I use until my ZF Lifeguard 6 comes in?

Thanks in advance.

5,784 Posts
My son was helping me service the car and although I pointed out the engine oil drain plug, he removed the wrong plug and drained the transmission. We got the engine oil changed fine after I realized what he did but still have the transmission drained. I should have known something was wrong when he said the tool I handed him didn't fit. :( I have a kit on order from CTSC.com but in the meantime, I need to get my daily driver rolling down the road. I tried to read all the relevant threads and watch any videos on Youtube but there isn't much. I see there is a fill plug on the transmission case above the pan gasket. This one is hard to access with the tools I have because the space between the exhaust pipe and transmission is minimal. So... is the large 17mm hex head "filler" plug also a fill plug? The diagram on CTSC Maserati 6HP26 Transmission fluid level procedures: The CTSC seems to indicate so. But when I removed that larger plug and stuck my finger up in there, I could feel a small opening near the bottom but the top was capped, so I'm not convinced that filling the transmission through that plug until the fluid runs out is the answer. Can someone clarify?

Is the large 17mm plug the fill plug?
If not, what's the right tool to fit on the side drain plug around the exhaust pipe?
Which readily available fluid can I use until my ZF Lifeguard 6 comes in?

Thanks in advance.
I would probably let your kid cut his teeth on a cheaper automobile...Just saying...The fill plug is a 8MM hex driver on RH side rear of the transmission...I would just wait for the correct fluid ...Jason

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, I think I figured part of it out. I just read the post from the QP thread here: ZF Transmission Flush\refill procedure | Maserati Forum (maseratilife.com) Apparently there are a few variations in transmissions and my pan is metal and look like the ones posted there. It's definitely not the plastic one a lot of BMW owners are posting about. I have 2 plugs (drain & fill) on the pan itself. I also have a 3rd plug, a fill plug on the transmission housing above where the pan meets it. Mine is front right and difficult to access without removing the exhaust. I'm assuming that's why the pan has a 2nd fill plug. The cap and hole I felt and described match the T-shaped cap I can see in the pic posted in the link, so I'm going to assume it's the same. That cap hole is quite a bit higher than the drain plug, and seems to be a little higher than the edge of the pan and so it makes sense that it's at the same level as the side fill plug. Mystery solved. Now I just gotta figure out a fluid solution.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Auto part

21 - 40 of 44 Posts