Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an appointment at the local Maserati dealership to have a few minor warranty issues taken care of on my 2013 GT convertible. I spoke with my service advisor and told her that I also want to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled, along with having the brake fluid flushed and refilled. The service advisor told me that there’s no issue with doing the brake fluid, but doing the transmission fluid might be “too difficult” for their certified technicians. I was somewhat surprised by the comment but decided not to say anything. I know a local shop that can do it if the dealership isn’t willing to.

Is the transmission fluid flush and fill such a diffuclt process that even a Maserati dealership won’t do it? Heck, it’s just a ZF transmission...nothing exotic about it at all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I made an appointment at the local Maserati dealership to have a few minor warranty issues taken care of on my 2013 GT convertible. I spoke with my service advisor and told her that I also want to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled, along with having the brake fluid flushed and refilled. The service advisor told me that there’s no issue with doing the brake fluid, but doing the transmission fluid might be “too difficult” for their certified technicians. I was somewhat surprised by the comment but decided not to say anything. I know a local shop that can do it if the dealership isn’t willing to.

Is the transmission fluid flush and fill such a diffuclt process that even a Maserati dealership won’t do it? Heck, it’s just a ZF transmission...nothing exotic about it at all.
Not difficult, I've done it myself in my garage. The only "difficult" part is getting the temperature of the fluid at the correct level to then top if off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think she was trying to tell you in a nonchalant way of “you don’t need to waste your money here at the dealer and you can take it and have it done at an Indie shop for much cheaper or do it yourself. ?

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
I must have overlooked the transmission fluid change interval recommended in the service schedule .. what is it ? Most other cars it's at 50 K miles or so.. And on some newer cars the manufacturers claim it never needs to be changed . So what does Maserati recommend for the GTS , and what's the common wisdom suggested interval ( if different that Maserati's recommendation ) ?

4,521 Posts
Maserati does not have it listed on their service schedule like a lot of other manufactures, but it would not hurt to do it at the 60-75k mark IMOP.....Jason

Reactions: JohnnyG

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had it done by ZF in the Netherlands on my QP. They also changed some gaskets o-rings etc. It wasn’t cheap but after 100k km Advised and piece of mind. The transmission looked and worked good according to the technician and shifting did not massively improve. Having read some info on the BMW forums on the ZF transmissions, make sure you get the right oil, if not you’re probably better of leaving it as is untill shifting gets harsh.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think she was trying to tell you in a nonchalant way of “you don’t need to waste your money here at the dealer and you can take it and have it done at an Indie shop for much cheaper or do it yourself. ?
LOL! I think you hit the nail on the head.

Maserati does not have it listed on their service schedule like a lot of other manufactures, but it would not hurt to do it at the 60-75k mark IMOP.....Jason
I had initially been told by “another” Maserati dealership that the transmission fluid should be flushed and filled every two years. Stupid me...I just looked at the service interval schedule in the owner’s manual and it makes no mention of flushing and filling the transmission!

·
Registered
776 Posts
The transmission fluid is life time fluid. However, to fill it requires a special tool that is basically a hook because you need to fill it from a plug on the underside. You need to do so with the car running and connected to the diagnostic system. I have the tool but gave it to my buddies at Scuderia Performante as they did mind while fixing a leaking electrical connector I diagnosed. I have the procedure as well should anyone need it.

Don't over service your car. It's not needed.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
I had initially told by “another” Maserati dealership that the transmission fluid should be flushed and filled every two years. !
They're either clinically insane , or more likely running a scam to make money off of unnecessary " services ". My bet is on the latter.

4,521 Posts
When ZF first came out with lifetime fluid on the 5HP and the 6HP it seemed like a great idea..However, after the transmission got into the field and guys starting pulling the pans down, there was a lot of trash in the pans..The 5HP is not used by Maserati. The 6HP doesn't suffer from a lot of metal in the pan, but has a tendency to wear the valve bodies out occasionally...To each their own when it comes to servicing them...Jason

·
Registered
562 Posts
When ZF first came out with lifetime fluid on the 5HP and the 6HP it seemed like a great idea..However, after the transmission got into the field and guys starting pulling the pans down, there was a lot of trash in the pans..The 5HP is not used by Maserati. The 6HP doesn't suffer from a lot of metal in the pan, but has a tendency to wear the valve bodies out occasionally...To each their own when it comes to servicing them...Jason
I trust you to tell it straight Jason so if it were your car, how often would you do it? Cheers.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I trust you to tell it straight Jason so if it were your car, how often would you do it? Cheers.
Jason posted this earlier in this thread:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're either clinically insane , or more likely running a scam to make money off of unnecessary " services ". My bet is on the latter.
It was the dealership that sold the car to me. If you have the time, do a search on my initial posts and you can read all about the less-than-reputable dealership. This has certainly been a learning experience for me and at 61 years old, it's proven that you definitely can teach an old dog new tricks! It's why I come to this forum!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just like Dave rocks says, Has to be done running, hooked to diag computer, need special fill connector , and warmed up. I did mine at 12,000 miles or so at dealer(they had to call regional maser service guy to come in and do it). Shifted way better, and much more smoothly after the change, no more burning torque converter smell..not just subjective, really made a difference. The fluid that came out was very dark. the fluid that went in was not...according to the service manager. Also, I had them flush a few extra liters through, but you still will not completely flush out the old fluid in the torque converter...so there is always some mixing old and new..

I probably had some form of sticky valves or pulse locking of the torque converter, which was fixed by new fluid, luckily.....

My feeling is that there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid....

4,521 Posts
Oh geez, I have not used a scan tool to set transmission fluid levels on a 6hp in my life..You can feel the temp with your hand, it should feel like a hot shower or use a temp gun...Jason

·
Registered
776 Posts
Oh geez, I have not used a scan tool to set transmission fluid levels on a 6hp in my life..You can feel the temp with your hand, it should feel like a hot shower or use a temp gun...Jason
Proper procedures yield consistent results. Just like torque specs on an oil filter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This thread might help you (a few other threads out there as well)

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112937

Determining temperature by touch, sure it can be done if you're seasoned and have done it before to get it just right. Ultimately, if your off by a few degrees in temperature, it's not a big deal as your fluid level will be off by a few millimetre.

You don't need the special hook tool to fill up pan. Just be creative, I used a small bent hose that I was able to easily stick in there. Worked just fine. Sure, if you're a shop and will be doing this procedure every week, you might want to invest in that hook tool.

·
Registered
692 Posts
this was the tool I made, and my very ghetto rig for raising the car while level:

turkey syringe with the needle removed and replaced with a melted-into-a-bend straw held together with packing tape.

note that the car has to be RUNNING when opening the fill port unless you've drained it. otherwise you'll spill a quarter all over yourself.

4,521 Posts
Aaron, you are a brave dude for getting under a car like that!!! Not this guy....Jason

1 - 20 of 29 Posts