Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any weird noises coming from their gear box. Becasue I just have approx 2000 miles and my local dealer is saying the engineers are just wanting to replace the whole gear box....

Im at a loss for words, I guess I thought if I spent this money on this car it wouldnt have these problems.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Look on the bright side - if you didn't spend as much, you wouldn't have engineers involved. :)

Write it off to "infant mortality", get a new gearbox in there, and enjoy it after it is ready to drive. I know it sucks, but stressing about it won't help either. When I first got my coupe, every noise, every hesitation freaked me out and I was driving it very tentative. I then started taking it out every day, like I would any other daily driver, and magically, the car and I bonded. The noises seemed to go away, the thrill of the ride was unreal, and the stress was gone.

I hope that when you get over this bump the Maser will give you as much fun as mine does!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldnt stress so much if that was the only problem

Thanks for the advice, Im sure it will get better.

You know i have other issues with the car:

1. Almost all the trim in the car is peeling.
2. THeres rattling noises coming out of the rear of the car.
3. THose pesky Giugaro stickers on the exterior are peeling.
4. The top of the dash and the piping dont even align.

Dont get me wrong its a blast to drive especially in the curves, but we got to admit the quality of an italian car isn't what i expected it to be....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow, that sounds pretty bad!

But what do you mean by the trim in the car "peeling"?

So far the only rattle that I have, if one can call it that, is that a slight leather-to-leather rub from the glove compartment (squeaks). I can't think of too many parts that can rattle in the rear of a GS, or is this more from the trunk, or mechanical?

The Giugaro stickers, by the way, come with a thick clear plastic covering that is meant to be removed, similar to some portable computers, Palm Pilots, phone displays, etc. Just peel the plastic off, easiest to do when they get dog-eared.

It's a good bet that your dealer can address whatever is going on though, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dealership will replace them. (don't know what they could do with the piping though, human hands aren't as precise as the robot arms...)

the chrome plating on all four vents peeled off on mine but were replaced under warranty. Don't stress, it is still better than those cars made in germany :)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Now you're onto my one pet peeve (other than a CD changer that loses its mind every time I try to switch to a different disc) - a rattle that has been driving me crazy in the rear of the cabin. I thought it was the covers on the child seat attachment points, but now I'm convinced it is the roof liner rattling. Let me know how you make out getting this addressed, and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh i forgot to mention my radio too

You know how the GS takes MMC cards? Well mine works intermittently. Like it will work for twenty minutes, and then jump to the radio. The service manager says it justs needs to get the software updated but my guess is there gonna have to replace that too.

Oh yeah the rattling in the rear of the car...

I thought it was the latch attachments too, but they confirmed it was coming from a speaker or something that attaches the speakers. They worked 3 days on that and its back again, I hope they can fix it.

Well now you understand my frustrations....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had a similar problem. My dealer had Maserati agree to change the gearbox under warranty (thank goodness as it is £6500 for the part). No quibbles, they just authorised it and my dealer gave me a BMW loaner while they changed it.
I was at my dealer earlier today discussing trade-ins. We discussed the gearbox and he said he was only aware of two that needed replacing through their dealership.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Wow!
I am considering myself lucky. I have had my GS for about 4 months and have about 1600 miles and have had no real problems. The only small item that is not perfect is the door handle is a bit loose, but it is not bad enough to even get it fixed before normal service.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just my two cents. I've had the opportunity to take various interior panels off the car in various projects. In a sense, this car is built in a very old- fashioned way. I happen to LOVE that about the car. The amount of hand assembly is impressive, both for good and bad. You will notice that various panels and pieces have little white round stickers on them, which have the name of the employee and the date that aspect of construction was completed; "Luigi, 7/25/02." Very cool, at least to me. I also believe the car behaves in an old-fashioned way as well, in that the car is all drivetrain with a pretty body and pretty interior which act as secondary components to the matter at hand, driving. Our cars are the antithesis of the Lexus-like offerings from the competition. Very little attention has been paid to controlling Noise, Vibration, and Harshness, in the Maserati. THANK GOD! That's what I love about this car, and that's why I say it behaves in an old-fashioned way, like the cars we fell in love with decades ago, but with modern electronics and system management. For me, the best of both worlds. Incidentally, For those having headliner rattle, take some foam strips that they sell for installing window AC units (usually at hardware store, black in color, 2" x 2") and squeeze it in between the top of the rear window and the headliner, so that it is inserted on top of the headliner but still is under some compression. This fixed the squeak/rattle for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a CC and have had both of the problems that others have been talking about. My gearbox would make this loud whine on occasion. While it might be doing it while I was driving, I could only hear it at when I stopped at a light. Every once and a while I would come to a stop and the car would not disengage from 1st gear, even if I tried to put it into neutral. I just had to hit the brakes and hope for the best.

At first the dealer thought that they swould try changing the gear oil, but that did nothing. On my second trip to the dealer they decided it needed a new gearbox and pump (under warranty - very quick decision, no hassle at all). Has worked perfectly ever since. It sounds like a number of people have had to have their gearboxes changed.

Same with the CD player. I would try to change discs and it would jam, other times the info display showed that it had no discs even though it was full. The dealer changed the player under warrantly and have no problems since then.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im glad Im not the only one with these problems

Maybe then, the dealer can address these issues before the next model comes out, and deliver us Maserati Junkies an even greater car the next time around!!!

I havent took my car on the track yet, but i bet it would be awesome considering this car loves to be driven hard in the corners!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
hmbgransport
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing