Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Mazzer-Gang....here's a totally irrational and illogical scenario. So you have....say....a 2012 Maserati in very good shape without any issues, and you see another Maserati that is a few years older but in a spectacular color combination and it looks fabulous. Would you consider trading "down"...?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Useless question without specifics.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay....say you have a 2012 Quattroporte in nice shape and in good colors, with no mechanical issues, but has the stickies, a resprayed front bumper to a good standard but not perfect, but no dents or dings. Then you see a 2010 Quattrorporte with the same mileage as yours, in great colors and spectacular condition - as it's original owner is a detail freak and has absolutely pampered the car since day one, and he is thinking of selling it, Would you consider selling your current QP and getting this older QP strictly based on the emotional pull of colors and condition?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Okay....say you have a 2012 Quattroporte in nice shape and in good colors, with no mechanical issues, but has the stickies, a resprayed front bumper to a good standard but not perfect, but no dents or dings. Then you see a 2010 Quattrorporte with the same mileage as yours, in great colors and spectacular condition - as it's original owner is a detail freak and has absolutely pampered the car since day one, and he is thinking of selling it, Would you consider selling your current QP and getting this older QP strictly based on the emotional pull of colors and condition?
  • Yes. With numerous opportunities for 5 fugure repair bills, and how sensitive these cars values are to body work, yes, I'd see higher desire for an impeccably maintained, and nicer condition, older car, any day of the week over a more problematic newer car with visible body work.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Socal4porte....seems like someone on this forum is selling their 2013 QP Sport-GTS, but I believe the color are white with black interior. This is an extremely rare QP....being the "last year" of the QP5 and a GTS....

·
Registered
22 Posts
No. 2013 was the last year the Pininfarina Quattroporte was made. After that they went turbos with a different body style. Not interested in those.

There were only 1847 Sport GT S models made. Those are the models you want

I see I misread your question about trading down, I would consider it actually, but only up until 2010. So 2010 to 2013.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
You know the variator drill. Even that wouldn't necessarily stop me. How much has the car been driven? Which year & month was it assembled (new variator design or old)? If old, cars driven frequently rather than stored up tend to have less of those issues, I have read. I'm crossing my fingers with my 2009 (old design). But there are always exceptions.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm probably nuts for even "thinking" about this scenario. My QP-S is grigio granito / cuoio and is a model year 2013 (carry over 2012, but with supposedly 10 more horsepower) and is in great mechanical shape, brakes good, tires good, and currently at 47k miles. The only issues with my QP are the stickies which I am slowly fixing, a fussy rear sun shade, missing chrome rings around the cup holders, and a front bumper respray. The 2011 QP-S I'm considering is blue nettuno / cuoio and has 46k miles on it, and one fussy owner who always gets service at the Ferrari dealership. It was built in April 2011, which is after the variator issue was fixed. The only issue with the 2011 is the headliner (not alcantara) is just starting to droop. The 2011 QP does not have paddles, where as my car has paddles and alcantara headliner. Per the car value sites such as Kelley Blue Book and such, my car has a value about $2k more than the 2011. Justifying this scenario to my wife will be difficult, as she will consider it purely as a step backwards....which does not take into account the spectacular condition (except for headliner) of the 2011 car. Talk me out of this guys.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm probably nuts for even "thinking" about this scenario. My QP-S is grigio granito / cuoio and is a model year 2013 (carry over 2012, but with supposedly 10 more horsepower) and is in great mechanical shape, brakes good, tires good, and currently at 47k miles. The only issues with my QP are the stickies which I am slowly fixing, a fussy rear sun shade, missing chrome rings around the cup holders, and a front bumper respray. The 2011 QP-S I'm considering is blue nettuno / cuoio and has 46k miles on it, and one fussy owner who always gets service at the Ferrari dealership. It was built in April 2011, which is after the variator issue was fixed. The only issue with the 2011 is the headliner (not alcantara) is just starting to droop. The 2011 QP does not have paddles, where as my car has paddles and alcantara headliner. Per the car value sites such as Kelley Blue Book and such, my car has a value about $2k more than the 2011. Justifying this scenario to my wife will be difficult, as she will consider it purely as a step backwards....which does not take into account the spectacular condition (except for headliner) of the 2011 car. Talk me out of this guys.....
I wouldn't do that specific trade-down. If anything, move to a Sports GT S, which you will find more enjoyment from even with any of the common issues of an aging car.

The cons are too big, no paddles? dropping headline? Pass.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My current QP didn't have paddles either, but I installed them....could always do the same to the other car. But yes...droopy headliner would need to be replaced before I'd seriously consider a deal. I test drove a couple of 2010 Sport-GTS's and loved them, but the body & paint were beat to death unfortunately. Finding a Sport-GTS for sale in the later model years 2011 or 2012 is very rare.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well.....that 2011 QP-S in Nettuno Blue / Cuoio I was dreaming about is SOLD.....but not to me. Someone made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse. It seems like Blue QP's sell very well, but they sure don't come up for sale very often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts