Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my GS Spyder out at Watkins Glen in May - looking forward to trying it out in a track environment. Anyone have experience with taking their car out and any advice/things to double check on the car beforehand?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Haven't taken the car to the track yet but here are a few tips:

- Just make sure all fluid levels are at max tyre pressures nominal and check all of them regularly throughout the day;
- Increase tire pressure;
- You may want to get a new set of brake pads.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you arent using racing brake fluid, make sure it is NOT at the max lol!

If you are serious about tracking, contact Jeff about the stainless steel brake lines :]

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Taking my GS Spyder out at Watkins Glen in May - looking forward to trying it out in a track environment. Anyone have experience with taking their car out and any advice/things to double check on the car beforehand?
Have you driven the Glen before? If not, that's definitely NOT a track I'd take my virgin track time on. The Armco there is very unforgiving.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Have you driven the Glen before? If not, that's definitely NOT a track I'd take my virgin track time on. The Armco there is very unforgiving.
Agree with that. If you are interested in tracking your Maserati. Come to the Maserati Owners National Meet at Le Belle Macchine d'Italia at Pocono Raceway. www.italiancarsatpocono.com

We have Professional Instructors available that will work with you. While Pocono is a very fast track, it is actually pretty safe in the fact that it very wide (6 across the front straight) and the concrete walls tend to make people dial it back a bit from doing something stupid.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Agree with that. If you are interested in tracking your Maserati. Come to the Maserati Owners National Meet at Le Belle Macchine d'Italia at Pocono Raceway. www.italiancarsatpocono.com

We have Professional Instructors available that will work with you. While Pocono is a very fast track, it is actually pretty safe in the fact that it very wide (6 across the front straight) and the concrete walls tend to make people dial it back a bit from doing something stupid.
Yep. A couple PCA members have ended their days at the Glen.

What's the course at Pocono like, Joe? Infield roads or the tri oval? Or a mix of both?

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Keep the MSP on till you get used to the car.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Brake fluid, if you're really going to track the car hard, definitely get a racing brake fluid. SS Lines are nice for sure, but good brake fluid may keep you away from an unexpected adventure of infamy and damage.

Tire Pressure, this is often overlooked but is very important. Do not fill your tires to the max psi, make sure they are balanced. Remember when you tires get hot the pressure rises quite a bit so even after each session you should check them right after you get off the track to be sure they are correct at operating temps, not cold temps. Some tires will heat up more than others depending on the corners and how hard you push them.

Consider Sport Handling Springs, honestly the stock setup is very boaty on the track, you'll have a much harder time than most other makes out there in the corners.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the tips!

I was thinking of changing to the Formula Dynamics springs before the event...has anyone had them installed in Northern New Jersey and by which who?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Try Classic Coach in Elizabeth. They are a racing & retoration shop, they also have a Ferrari/Maserati dealership (Central FL) and a Lamborghini dealership (Bergen).

BTW this Saturday they are having their annual open house.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great advice - thanks!

I ordered my springs, brake pads and air filter from Jeff yesterday so I can't wait to have it all installed!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed the FD upgrades

I had the springs, pads and air filter put in the car a few days ago. The change in the car with the new springs is amazing - it feels truly like what the car really was intended to feel like; it was more of a natural extension of the vehicle...Headed off to Watkins Glen this evening for a couple of days of track time - we will see how it goes!

Thanks to Jeff - incredible products with great support!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Confused

Brake fluid, if you're really going to track the car hard, definitely get a racing brake fluid. SS Lines are nice for sure, but good brake fluid may keep you away from an unexpected adventure of infamy and damage.

Tire Pressure, this is often overlooked but is very important. Do not fill your tires to the max psi, make sure they are balanced. Remember when you tires get hot the pressure rises quite a bit so even after each session you should check them right after you get off the track to be sure they are correct at operating temps, not cold temps. Some tires will heat up more than others depending on the corners and how hard you push them.
I am going to the Poconos for the Italian Car Weekend, and am most interested in this thread. As most familiar with my posts, you know they often indicate an ignorance of cars. (Pleased to say however responses are always most understanding!)

It will be no surprise then, that I don't understand the point on tire pressure. The cold pressure indicated on my owners manual is 32 front and 29 rear. The tire is labeled as 50 max. Which max pressure are you referring to? Do you mean that after a run with tires hot, the pressures should be 32 and 29? Or that they should be 50 at the end of the run? Typically, if I remember correctly, if the cold pressure is 29/32, after driving on the highway they are only up about 4-5 lbs. Will they go up considerably more on the track?

As for brake fluid, what is the difference? Is there any reason not to use racing fluid all the time, i.e. are there issues on the streets that make it unsuitable?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
He meant that your tires should be properly filled with air... to the manufacturer's specs (29/32). You may even want to add a bit more air to it since you will be doing aggressive driving.

You can use racing fluid all the time, no reason not to. Racing brake fluid, as far as I know, has a higher boiling point, etc.

Maybe Jeff can provide more insight.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
He meant that your tires should be properly filled with air... to the manufacturer's specs (29/32). You may even want to add a bit more air to it since you will be doing aggressive driving.

You can use racing fluid all the time, no reason not to. Racing brake fluid, as far as I know, has a higher boiling point, etc.

Maybe Jeff can provide more insight.
Racing fluids tend to be more hygroscopic, and should be changed more frequently

·
Registered
603 Posts
Why more air if aggressive?

Why would you want more air in the tire if driving aggressively? Wouldn't that mean that you had less rubber on the road?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Start at around 30psi, then after you get off the track and while the tires are still hot... measure your tire psi ( which should now be higher if using air due to heat expansion ).

Reset to around 36 Front and 34 Rear... this is a good starting point for our cars. When you go out for the next session you should have a little better grip.

After you get familiar, go up a few pounds, go down a few pounds, adjust front to rear, etc... basically you can play with it to see if the car gets better or worse. You'll notice changes such as... it sticks better or worse, it works good for a few laps but overheats easily ( tire pressure is too high ) or hopefully... it works just right.

FYI, max tire pressure is exactly that... it's the most you would ever want to run and I can tell you from experience, it's dangerous to have it this high while driving fast and taking corners. It may be OK to save a bit on fuel economy on a long stretch of road.

The factory recommends 32/29 for the street.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.