Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I was up at a show/track event at Pocono with Maserati, Ferrari, Lambo, Pantera, Viper, and Corvette (not sure how this evolved...). One day concours and 1 day at the track. Results:

- Had the car on the track and it was a blast. The FD springs were a MUST - I can't image how much roll I would have experienced without them.
- We were on the Pocono raceway track, one major banked oval, a smaller banked oval, a hard left turn (called Devil's turn or something), and an autocross-like section. All challenging on the brakes, not so much on the CC or the engine. I suspect I could have been harder on the CC and engine, but my objective was to learn the car on the track, not to over-reach my humble abilities
- Instructor (required as it was my first time) took 2 laps. Said the car was exceptional and even he would have a hard time wringing everything out of it.
- I've decided I'm not going to turn into a track head
- I also decided that the next time I'm gonna use somebody else's car. Too much beating on the car for me. Also, you observe that the more serious people are on the track, the more they've got the sense to have dedicated track cars. The more I observed, the more I though that bringing your Gallardo or 575 (or Gransport) is a nice novelty, not the best use of the car.
- I won two awards! - Best in Marque and "Furthest Driven" (about 150 miles, including the misery of the George Washington and Triboro bridges. There were only about 7 Maseratis there, but my car is very eye-catching, and is universally loved when in public. I'll post some pics when I get them. My wife forgot the camera so I'm relying on a few others.
- Finally, I had some of the drive home with the engine and tranny lights on. Spoke to service at FM yesterday, they said probably due to the tranny fluid getting hot, and keep an eye on the engine light. No overheating or oil pressure problems. I did a few short drives yestersday and all lights have gone out, so probably self-resolved.

That's it for now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like a great day out. Looking forward to seeing the pics. I think your right; you need a dedicated track day car if your going to bray it all day long round a circuit.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Fantastic day by the sound of it :D

I am thinking about to sign up for a drivers' course on a track where they essentially teach you how to take your car to the limit but not sure if I want to do that either. A track car is a bit of a hassle but probably cheaper than smashing the GS on to a guardrail or something.

Post piccies soon :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Ed!!! I didn't know you could do that with the smilie things. The picture guy is supposed to get pics up Thursday and one of the guys from TMC should get me some this week.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well done

How did your tires hold up?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fine, and they don't appear much worse for the wear. But my biggest limitation on the track was taking the banked turns at the speed I entered them. My brain was thinking, 'uh, tires, centrifugal force, speed, death' and at the same time the instructor kept urging me to accelerate hard through.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, it wasn't his car ;)
Heh, agree :D

BTW did you have an isse with stone-chipping..? Last time I was on a track (on Aston Martin's test track facilities near Gaydon... no pics as it was forbidden to take any pics...) I picked a few, but hey, no pain no gain..!

Waiting for those pics :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually haven't been able to inspect closely for chips, but at first glance it looked ok. I got back to NY late Monday and left Tuesday for the UK and now I'm in Germany, so the inspection will have to wait!

Hopefully by tonite Euro time the photos will be available

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fine, and they don't appear much worse for the wear. But my biggest limitation on the track was taking the banked turns at the speed I entered them. My brain was thinking, 'uh, tires, centrifugal force, speed, death' and at the same time the instructor kept urging me to accelerate hard through.
Please remember the instructors at that event are NOT Professional Instructors. Most usually are club guys that while they may be good drivers, they may not be good teachers.

Joe

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bluyork: Pictures look great! Congratualtions! I think our cars are twins (well, mine's a year younger, but same color GS).
I'll be at Joe's Pocono Italian car event next month - hope to see you and many other Maseratisti there!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.