Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased as set of factory TPMS sensors to fit to my winter tire set. After reading the "QP in Snow" thread, there was a discussion of rims available on Tirerack. Out of interest I looked at the rims on Tirerack and it seems that they also sell aftermarket TPMS sensors that appear to be compatible with the QP onboard system. Does this sound this correct - an aftermarket TPMS sensor for the QP? It never occured to me that an aftermarket sensor was available. I imagine the pressure is monitored via electronic signal and it would make sense that the FCC has a narrow range of MHz reserved for this application. Therefore, manufacturing an aftermarket sensor could be made for a range of vehicles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TPMS Required By Law

In researching this issue further I discovered that all news cars produced post September 2007 sold in the US must have TPMS under the Tread Act enacted in 2000. When I purchased my winter tires I wasn't going to purchase the sensors. However, a service tech told me that he might not be able to disable the TPMS system because it might be against the law. Rather than following up, I purchased the sensors because the request seemed "too complicated" and I hate having active alerts. I guess the story wasn't based on non-sense.

Did anyone figure out if the TPMS sensors operate on a standard universal frequency?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts