Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded to a set of ball polished 19" rims for my 05 QP, but I guess these wheels did not have the TPMS sensors, or they aren't working, as I get an error message telling me the TPMS system has failed and to go to the dealer. When I try to recalibrate the system, there is no reading. I was told that all of the oem wheels had the sensors built in, so I don't know if that was incorrect or if there is some magic to synchronizing with the car. If I need to get new sensors for the wheels, can these be removed them from the old 18" wheels or sourced somewhere other than the local dealer? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I started getting the error on my 2005 QP as well. I have the original rims and one time I got readings from 3 of the 4 sensors but every other time just dashes. I had 1 tire replaced that was flat but that did not fix the problem.

I am in to the dealership in a couple of weeks for my 30K maintenance so I will let you know what they do to fix it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I upgraded to a set of ball polished 19" rims for my 05 QP, but I guess these wheels did not have the TPMS sensors, or they aren't working
If you have rubber tire stems then you don't have TPMS sensors installed. The TPMS sensors have metal tire stems. I purchased a second set of used rims to mount winter tires. Intially I thought all of the QP rims were TPMS equipped; however, I quickly learned that wasn't the case. A set of four was a little under $800. However, I notice that tirerack sells Maserati compatible TPMS sensors for around $400 a set.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea if the sensors are re-usable? Can I take the old sensors from the 18" wheels and install them on the 19s?

Vincent, did you get my pm?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Any idea if the sensors are re-usable? Can I take the old sensors from the 18" wheels and install them on the 19s?
Yes, the sensors can be remounted on another set of rims. Because you are essentially working on 8 tires it may be less expensive to buy a new set of TPMS sensors depending on how much your tire shop charges. Once the tire is removed from the rim, the TPMS sensor can be uninstalled by removing the external retaining nut. The sensor itself is a relatively small (about 1x2) and is a Ferrari sourced part - has a prancing horse on it. I do believe, however, where the sensor mates with the rim there is some type of substance that resembles sorbothane, which I assume is used to create an air tight seal. When affixing it to the new rims, make sure the tire shop follows the torque settings. I had one TPMS sensor that was too tight and it resulted in a leaky valve.

Vincent, did you get my pm?
I just realized how to access. I'll contact you privately.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, the sensors can be remounted on another set of rims. Because you are essentially working on 8 tires it may be less expensive to buy a new set of TPMS sensors depending on how much your tire shop charges. Once the tire is removed from the rim, the TPMS sensor can be uninstalled by removing the external retaining nut. The sensor itself is a relatively small (about 1x2) and is a Ferrari sourced part - has a prancing horse on it. I do believe, however, where the sensor mates with the rim there is some type of substance that resembles sorbothane, which I assume is used to create an air tight seal. When affixing it to the new rims, make sure the tire shop follows the torque settings. I had one TPMS sensor that was too tight and it resulted in a leaky valve.

I just realized how to access. I'll contact you privately.

im bringing this back because i need assistance with this.

Could you be kind enough to post a picture of this sensor so I can make sure they are installed in all 4 wheels? For some reason, after painting my rims and reinstalling in the car now I get a "no tire pressure monitoring system available" after I try to recalibrate.

I am thinking the shop lost my sensors? ???

thx

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bringing this back once again.... I am having the same issues. It isn't reading the TPMS most days and the other day read that I had a flat tire. I just purchased the car and I guess assumed the TPMS was installed since it was all stock. How can I tell without going to the dealer if they are installed. I still have the Maserati valve caps and it looks like metal stems. From the reviews this dealer was very reputable.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
My guess is that you DO have TPMS but that one of the sensors is going bad. My front left sensor is about toast and the car is acting just as yours is. It only takes one bad one.

New sensors need to be programed (or rather the car does) to operate correctly with the monitoring system so you might need your dealer's help after all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 Maseratti and have been getting TPSM warnings. Ive has the sensors tested and the bad ones replaced, and still getting the same warning. Ive been told that i need a new TPS module and that it probably cost in in the area of $900 to replace. Since I've already spent over 400 t0 replace the sensor, is there anything else that can be done and can i get a quote on this repair

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
If this is the first set of replacement sensors, try having 4 new, regardless of reported remaining life on the old ones you kept. Don't buy them on ebay. Use a reputable provider of OEM parts.

With 4 new sensors, do the calibration procedure. Car will need to be driven 10-20 minutes continuously, without being switched OFF. Stops at signals don't count, but they don't re-start the sequence as long as the switch stays ON. During this period the MFD display might say "Calibration Failure," or show only dashes. Ignore & keep driving. If that doesn't work, then you are probably looking at a new TPMS control unit. Try aftermarket providers on this forum if dealer prices alarm you.

If you are handy, instructions can be found on the forum for removal and replacement of the control unit. The TPMS control unit is one of the modules that can just be swapped without reverting to dealer diagnostic equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts