Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the critical nature of correct tire inflation on our Masers, has anyone on the forum installed an aftermarket electronic tire pressure monitoring system? AutoSport sells a system for $249 that simply replaces the valve caps (not the stems) with a tiny electronic transducer/transmitter that claims to send real time pressure values to an LCD screen that you mount in the cabin. I"m intrigued by the simplicity and low cost, but somewhat skeptical that it actually works.
All feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Given the critical nature of correct tire inflation on our Masers, has anyone on the forum installed an aftermarket electronic tire pressure monitoring system? AutoSport sells a system for $249 that simply replaces the valve caps (not the stems) with a tiny electronic transducer/transmitter that claims to send real time pressure values to an LCD screen that you mount in the cabin. I"m intrigued by the simplicity and low cost, but somewhat skeptical that it actually works.
All feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.
Hella also sells one ($275):

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Tire_Pressure_Monitoring_System_TC-400.asp

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
518 Posts
dismount/remount/balance of tires should cost less then $60 anywhere by no means expensive

I changed my rears last night it took me less then an hour for the two of them

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dismount/remount/balance of tires should cost less then $60 anywhere by no means expensive
May be true in Iowa, but in the big city no one touches a 19" rim/tire for less than $40 each

·
Registered
518 Posts
(Insert Gomer Voice) Well gooollllllleeee gee Andy I'm plumb cornfused!

Could be the same here I just know what I was charged a few years back...bought my own mount and balance units about three years ago haven't had someone else change a tire since.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Group buy possibility ?

I would love some more on this and, if possible, a consensus on the best system to buy. I always feel I'm not watching my pressure enough b/c its such a pain in the a - -.

Anyone have actual experience with any system ?

The tire cap system sounds great if it would work but the on ly way I can see it giving a reading s if it keeps the pin depressed. This concerns me. The entirely new valve system souns like it may be better - but more expensive but usually you get what your pay for.

As for pricing, no offense meant to anyone, but prices in the Northeast and west coast are significantly more expensive, unfortunately, and you get less across the board. I did a five year stint in Houston and loved the cost of living. Back in NY, $$$$$ just flies out the door !

·
Registered
824 Posts
The tire cap system sounds great if it would work but the on ly way I can see it giving a reading s if it keeps the pin depressed. This concerns me. The entirely new valve system souns like it may be better - but more expensive but usually you get what your pay for.
ditto - I would be worried about the reliability of a cap based system.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a cap based system on a couple of other cars for a few years. I never had any issues with the tires leaking because of the caps but I found that the tire readings were usually +/- a couple of PSI (ie not extremely accurate).

It was good enough to let you know that a tire was significantly low and needed to be looked at.

I don't recall the name of the manufacturer of the system I had as I had bought it overseas.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have an elf-based system... I am quite happy with it.

One elf per tire, when there is not enough pressure, they make shoes in your living room while you sleep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts