Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i get repeated "TPMS failure" messages and annoying beeps. When i dropped the car at the dealer this morning for a list of work, including resolving the TPMS error and false positives on punctures, i was told that TPMS is not covered under warranty.

Eh? How can that be? Anyone else had TPMS errors fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
340 Posts
So i get repeated "TPMS failure" messages and annoying beeps. When i dropped the car at the dealer this morning for a list of work, including resolving the TPMS error and false positives on punctures, i was told that TPMS is not covered under warranty.

Eh? How can that be? Anyone else had TPMS errors fixed under warranty?
TPMS should be covered under warranty. My dealer charged me $800 to replace the sensor and eventually I settled for a credit (although I haven't used the credit yet!).

The batteries are supposed to last at least 7 years.

·
Registered
340 Posts
$800? sheesh.

And MC12dave, I'm in Santa Monica

I am sure the sensor is a couple hundred but the dealer had no reader to test the TPMS sensors and no tire balancer to properly remove and mount the tires so the work had to be shipped out. Got to pay for two set of mouths then!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the car back this morning. new motor mount to replaced collapsed one, and the rumbling and general unevenness when cold has gone. Very good.

I think the kiss point must have been reset as the car is so much smoother on take off. couple of bits and pieces taken care of, but.....

as for the TPMS, it was reset and I was told that it's just unreliable and that'll be the way it is. I was also told it's not possible to disable it, in case that were true. On the way to the office from the dealer, the "TPMS Failure" triggered again and I'm livid. I specifically told them that I get both false-positive punctures AND TPMS Failure messages.

So help me here - this is a joke right?

I'm ready to write to FMNA.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Probably just a bad sensor. If it is replaced then the problem will go away. A good way to test is to try and recalibrate and then check which sensor is says has failed on a puncture. If it is the same sensor each time then it is a pretty good indication!

The TPMS sensor is fitted to the valve stem. Pretty easy to replace (if you have the right equipment that is)!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, it's partly a bad sensor. As I told the dealer, the false positive is always on the same tire.

If a single bad sensor can also cause a TPMS Failure error, and a TPMS Not Working message, then it's perhaps the whole cause, otherwise there's something else too.

Would a bad sensor cause these messages too?

·
Registered
340 Posts
When I had the sensor go on one of my tires it caused the whole system to show a failure most of the time.

Once the sensor was replaced everything was fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Paradon. Armed with that info, I;m going to call the dealer again and ask that they replace the one sensor.

btw, was the replacement covered under warranty?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks, Paradon. Armed with that info, I;m going to call the dealer again and ask that they replace the one sensor.

btw, was the replacement covered under warranty?
Yes and no. I paid for the work (since the service manager was out) and then contacted them to complain that it should be covered under warranty.

I asked for and received a credit.

·
Registered
518 Posts
$800 for a new sensor is bullshit
the part number for the maserati, ferrari, bentley, audi, porshche, vw TPMS sensor is an S046 it is $78 for the unit and $9.50 for the beru valve that mounts it to the rim through my Tire rack account

to replace you have dismount/mount of the tire and balancing...which should be done in under an hour

·
Registered
340 Posts
$800 for a new sensor is bullshit
the part number for the maserati, ferrari, bentley, audi, porshche, vw TPMS sensor is an S046 it is $78 for the unit and $9.50 for the beru valve that mounts it to the rim through my Tire rack account

to replace you have dismount/mount of the tire and balancing...which should be done in under an hour
Agreed which is why I bitched. I have no doubt that the dealer spent 5-6 hours sorting out the problem, but it is not my fault that they don't have the proper diagnostic equipment and had to outsource the work.

In any event I received a credit and have now used it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not to stir the pot or defend your Dealer, but TPMS failures can be a bear to diagnos on a QP. Odds are that it is the sensor or aerial antenna that has failed, but it is very difficult to discern WHICH wheel has the issue. With that said, there is still NO excuse for them not diagnosing it properly and shipping the car unresolved. It IS covered under Warranty, unless you blew out the tire and damaged the sensor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So we'll see.... Took the car back in and the sensor in the wheel that always triggers one of the faults was replaced. Driving home there was no fault, which is a good start.

And covered under warranty, and the experience with the service dept was positive, so I'm happy with that too. fingers crossed

·
Registered
134 Posts

Before anyone spends $800 for a sensor, I like to offer a possible option. This TPS system works on a comparison basis and let you know when a tire is a certain percentage lower than rest. I had this same system in my BMW 7 series I just traded in and hated it b\c I added 22" rims to my car. When you live in a city of potholes and have tires that are 2 inches tall, you need to have them filled up as much as possible. Although the standard PSI for the setup was 40psi front and 45psi rear, I wouldn't get a warning till a tire dropped below 20psi. I think this was also because it get info from ABS system to determine a low tire (b\c the lower the tire, the smaller overall diameter, which means more rotations per second). Most sport tires or low profile tires have a thick sidewall and don't look low till psi drops really low.

The point of this is that I purchased a Hella TC-400 system for $250 from tire rack that was many time superior to factory. The system comes with 4 sensor valves (on in each rim just like factory), a little box the size of a pack of cigarettes which is brain, and a nice small display that changes backround color to match cars backlght color. The wiring was simple as it only has 3 wires (constant power, switched power, and ground). On my car I tapped of the wires behind a cigarette lighter for power. Since lighter only got power when car was on, so I twisted together both hot wires and only tapped 2 wires total. The display comes with about 6 ft of wire that pugs right into brain, and there is a flexible 12inch wire antenna that also plugs to brain. That's it. The best part of this system is that it tells you the exact psi of each tire (including spare with purchase of another sensor). You can also set up alerts at a psi of your choice to let you know if a tire is low. In my BMW, it took me 20minutes to wire brain into the middle arm rest compartment, and put display inside ashtray. When I closed ashtray door, display was hidden. Display can also be put in glove box or on dash depending on personal taste. Just something yall can consider, a superior quality system for a fraction of price. I double checked reading with actual tire pressure gauge, and system was always accurate.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So glad I don't have TPMS. Not trying to lose friends, but it seems like it provides a very low level of value even IF it worked properly. What a hassle to then be forced to replace components on a system which isn't offering much of a benefit just to then clear an annoying error.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Actually I use the TPMS all of the time (now that it works) and it is great for finding slow leaks since I find the resolution and accuracy quite good.

·
Registered
134 Posts

To clarify, my complaint was with the system in my BMW. I don't have one in my QP, so I have no personal experience with that system (although it works the same way). Also, it wasn't so much the accurracy with the system that was my problem, it was the fact that I wanted to know when my tires were even slightly low since I had low profile tires and live in city of potholes. The system was probably accurate, it was just set to warn me at too low of a setting FOR MY particular situation. The point was that the system from Hella is a fraction of price and gave the exact PSI and TEMPERATURE of each tire. I was just trying to offer a possible alternative that can be easily installed without any worry of voiding warranty. Hella is an OEM company for many car companies such as BMW and Audi, etc. and make a good quality product.

·
Registered
157 Posts
BigA3723,
Where exactly do the sensors mount? I like this system as it seems rather simple.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts