Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching around for any DIY info on these cars but haven't really had
too much luck. I subsribe to Alldata for info on my other car, but they have no info on Maserati.
Want to do an oil change on my 07' QP, automatica, and noticed the oil filter kit comes with 2 copper washers.
Does the wet sump motor have 2 drain plugs?
Any idea of what the torque should be on the drain plug ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can attest its definitely not 60 N-m - stripped the brass on my Differential plug.
Maybe 30 N-m. Just snug with copper washer.
Part Number is 104280 - same as Ferrari - and same as the oil pan on mine - $6 at Ricambi.
Mystery as to why the torque is not specified in workshop manual.
Some manuals are here.
Wish someone would upload the Bose Manual:(

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
I can attest its definitely not 60 N-m - stripped the brass on my Differential plug.
Maybe 30 N-m. Just snug with copper washer.
Part Number is 104280 - same as Ferrari - and same as the oil pan on mine - $6 at Ricambi.
Mystery as to why the torque is not specified in workshop manual.
Some manuals are here.
Wish someone would upload the Bose Manual:(
User or technical manual?

C

·
Registered
12 Posts
User or technical manual?

C
Sorry - just saw your message - I have the PDF of the 700+ page Workshop Manual - WSM_M139_QUATTRO_PORTE
I used the engine drain plug PN in the Diff - the magnet is a few mm taller - but no internal clearance issues - working great.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I doubt if any real mechanic even thinks about the torque on the oil pan drain plug, the differential drain plug or the oil filter. The best way to deal with plugs that have a crush-washer is to use a short box wrench, feel the kiss and tighten the rest of the way by feel. Unless you’re mechanically challenged, it should be intuitive how much to tighten a drain plug.

The oil filter should be hand tightened, snug and no more. If you need a tool beyond a strap wrench to loosen the oil filter, whoever put it on was over his pay grade.

Torque wrenches have there place but not on everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts