Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need torque specs for oil plug ASAP please!! Anything you might have specs for just put it here so we can find if needed later! Thanks! ~Chaz

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! If anybody else knows any other specs, feel free to drop 'em here!

Also, anyone know where to get a proper cup oil wrench for the 4.7 filters?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's one for anyone that might need. The 4.7s use filter #289571 which you need an 86mm 18 notch cup filter wrench for and torqued to 30 nM or 22 ft/lbs.

Engine is 9.5 quarts of oil (QPower/Pennziol Plat Euro/Mobil1) 5w40. Aside from Mobil, I've found the others aren't readily available for that weight at most parts stores.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am a fan of Ricambi but $80 bucks is steep. I got mine from Ultimate Garage for $35

I have that filter wrench as I use it on my Ferrari 355's. Works perfect for that. I tried to use it on the Maserati and it does not fit. I sent an email to Daniel about it and I don't think he updated the website.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I'll be ticked if that's the case since I just ordered mine. Our filters are 86mm with 18 notches, correct? I didn't see our filter number on the UG website but I did find somewhere else online that our filter was 86mm width with 18 notches so I figured it would be satisfactory. Grrrr

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
7,392 Posts
There was a smaller size filter for the wet sump cars that they had for a bit...I want to say it has been discontinued...the new # is 289571 and its the larger diameter...A good set of universal oil filter pliers works fine on these cars actually....The 188814# is for dry sump cars....Jason

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only concern with pliers/strap wenches is the bright yellow bold lettered warning on the filter box and filter that says must be tightened to 30 nM which you can't measure with hand or pliers. I'm used to giving a filter a good hand tight twist and calling it a day but Maserati makes it seem catastrophic if not 30nM.

Can't find torque specs for much of anything else on this car but the filter its specified blatantly.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Can't find torque specs for much of anything else on this car but the filter its specified blatantly.
You want torque specs? Your wish is my command :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fellas,

Very timely thread - DWR indicated 18 ft/lbs (or 24nm) for Oil Drain Plug. If I'm reading the attached torque spec attachment - says 60 nm for? 60 nm seems way tight.

Can anyone clarify please.

Thanks Rob - Chicago

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I caught that as well. 60nM is a massive amount of force for a simple plug. DaveRocks, can you double check your data sheet? I'm hoping we can get a good source for torque figures at least for the basics....oil, calipers, misc bits needed to check belts and such.

·
Registered
659 Posts
bringing back from the dead in case a google search leads here:

maserati m139 m145 m156 m157 m161 oil drain plug torque is 60nm with a new gasket washer.
60nm is also the torque for dry sump drain plugs in the bottom of the block, the dry sump oil tank drain plug is "75nm", but
that seems a tad much for a smaller plug. a few firm taps to about 50-60nm seems to do it.

rear diff drain and fill plugs i believe are also around 50-60nm with new gasket washers.

calipers- generally around 100 to 105nm, blue loctite doesn't hurt. make sure you remove the correct bolts for this.

generally, all maserati vehicles run 100nm wheel lug torque.

thats just off the top of my head, i can get more common specs if needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts