Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a spare LCD display and decided to do a little surgery to see if I can interface directly to it. The display turns out to be a Toshiba part: TFD58W23MW. They have a currently shipping part that is TFD58W26MW that accepts composite and RGB inputs. I emailed Toshiba to see if I could get a datasheet since their website doesn't have one. Does anyone have the Maserati pinouts to the unit?

Removal of the unit is fairly straightforward. There are four metal pins, one at each corner that will allow the display to pop off if you can pull back evenly. To do that, there are two slots, one on each side of the faceplate. You will have to make two tools that can be inserted in the gap on the side of the faceplate, that can then grab the slots and allow you to pull.

btw, the electronics that interface between the display and the car are pretty straightforward, just some power electronics and one chip from ST microelectronics. The numbers on the chip are 72T311R6T7 and M990X0030A. I'm thinkling that the cip is just for the keyboard interface, and that the composite/VGA pins are brought straight out to the interface cable, but I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Comes a bit too late for me (the 4200 is gone) but bet Buzz will be hughely interested in the above findings.

Ed

·
Registered
835 Posts
that's awesome...please let usknow when hear from toshiba. it wouldn't be too difficult to hookup a laptop after that :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pictures, pictures...

Thought you might want to see some images of the panel electronics. The first is the back of the LCD, the rest are macro shots of the various chips on the control board. Please 'scuse my shaky hands. I've been poking around the STMicro site, the 9113X is probably a serial EEPROM, so I'm guessing that the big chip is a microcontroller. The good news, of course, is that a separate EEPROM means we can reprogram the beast.

It's only a guess at this point, but I think that the microcontroller simply switches video feeds from the various components to the display. That would be wonderful, as we could reprogram some of the unused buttons to activate the feeds from, for example, a remote camera (that's what I need), or a PC for NAV & etc.

Any other computer guys on this board? Help me out and see if you can figure out which controller is being used.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Microcontroller

Ok, looks like the microcontroller is related to this part:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/od/5834/st72311n4.pdf

And the EEPROM is a 4Kbit (512) byte number:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/6512/m95040.pdf

Unfortunately, the MCU is OTP (one-time-programmable). I'm checking to see if we can at least read the code back.

74HC14 is a simple hex inverter.

74HC1090 is a dual flip flop.

Still can't figure out the chip with 93051/XBYGA

I can't find a matrix switch or any logic that could switch between video sources. Also, there aren't many pins coming into the board, so now I'm leaning towards a system where the MCU on the board selects a function (phone/climate/radio etc) and then causes that unit to drive the video lines while the rest float them. More to come...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ok, looks like the microcontroller is related to this part:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/od/5834/st72311n4.pdf

And the EEPROM is a 4Kbit (512) byte number:

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/6512/m95040.pdf

Unfortunately, the MCU is OTP (one-time-programmable). I'm checking to see if we can at least read the code back.

74HC14 is a simple hex inverter.

74HC1090 is a dual flip flop.

Still can't figure out the chip with 93051/XBYGA

I can't find a matrix switch or any logic that could switch between video sources. Also, there aren't many pins coming into the board, so now I'm leaning towards a system where the MCU on the board selects a function (phone/climate/radio etc) and then causes that unit to drive the video lines while the rest float them. More to come...
Don't know the actual pin numbers on the display but.........

There are separate Red, Blue, Green and composite sync lines which I have observed with a scope on the NIT end of the cable. Standard digital RGB will drive these lines. The key matrix is encoded into serial data. I haven't had time to decode the data yet but it looks like TTL UART data. The display/keyboard is slave to the NIT. There doesn't seem to be any real intelligence in the display. I believe the micro is just encoding/decoding the keys. The volume and nav knobs are digital rotary encoders which also need decoding. All keys except ESC generate serial data.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a pinout diagram for the LCD or any of the boards? Have you tried driving the LCD with another source?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Do you have a pinout diagram for the LCD or any of the boards? Have you tried driving the LCD with another source?
I'm leaving for a week of vacation in San Francisco but when I get back, I'll ohm it out and get the pin numbers. There's no question in my mind the RGB/Sync is compatible with G-Net adapters and Vehicle Hubs. I notice I said TTL RGB but it's actually analog RGB (.7Vp-p 75 Ohm). As I said, I have personally observed the analog RGB and sync signals with a scope and they comply with the standard voltages used on most vehicle nav screens.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
By the way, that looks like a standard Toshiba 30-pin connector + 6-pin connector with the following functions...

1. (with arrow on PCB) Composite video in
2. NC
3. Ground
4. Composite sync in (negative 1.0V p-p 75 ohm)
5. Red analog video in (.7V p-p 75 ohm)
6. Green "
7. Blue "
8. Ground
9. Horiz sync out (neg CMOS 5V)
10. Vertical sync out "
11-14 NC
15 Ground
16. Sync signal selector (0V = Composite, 5V = RGB)
17. NTSC/PAL (0V = NTSC, 5V = PAL)
18. Ground
19. 5V output for control terminals
20. L/R Scanning direction (0V = normal, 5V = reverse)
21. U/D Scanning direction "
22. Brightness control (0-5V)
23. Dimmer control (1.35-3.9V)
24 Color control (0-5V)
25. Tint control (0-5V)
26. Video signal selector (0V = composite, 5V = RGB)
27. Mode 1 These are binary display modes (i.e normal, zoom, center, etc).
28. Mode 2
29. Mode 3
30. NC

Second connector:
1-2. 9V DC backlight power
3-4. Backlight ground
5. Video power ground
6. +9V DC video power

You should be able to verify the majority of the signals with a meter.

Buzz

·
Registered
174 Posts
damn you guys are smart.
Yah I agree. I'm Cisco certifed and know my way around electronics but DAMN. I'm really envious right now and that doesnt normally happen. You guys know the type of stuff I'd like to know but chances are my career wont send me in that direction. Looks like I need to do some home schooling.

....now what the HELL do I study?

Also, haven't heard any news in a few days somebody hasn't hooked up a PS3 in the trunk running thru the screen and not told us yet have they?...shame shame

Hey BUZZ, I nenver got that CD :( of course I fixed the coil issue but I was pondering doing my own clutch job.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yah I agree. I'm Cisco certifed and know my way around electronics but DAMN. I'm really envious right now and that doesnt normally happen. You guys know the type of stuff I'd like to know but chances are my career wont send me in that direction. Looks like I need to do some home schooling.

....now what the HELL do I study?

Also, haven't heard any news in a few days somebody hasn't hooked up a PS3 in the trunk running thru the screen and not told us yet have they?...shame shame

Hey BUZZ, I nenver got that CD :( of course I fixed the coil issue but I was pondering doing my own clutch job.
I was worried the CD never went out. I gave it to my admin the day she was let go. I didn't even know she was getting fired. Thanks for letting me know! I'l do it myself this time!

As for the display, I hooked up a G-Net this afternoon and got a decent picture (G-Net has 100+ config combinations). Mine looks a litle clipped but VERY clear. If the G-Net works, I'll go with the Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro and replace the POS NIT completely.

As for the electronics thing... A simple BSEE from Long Beach State followed by a MSEE and MSCS from Stanford followed by 20 years as a Chief Technology Officer (with 18 patents) should do it :D

As a hobby I build tube guitar amps (with DSP front-ends????) and drive the SH*T out of my Maserati!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As a hobby I build tube guitar amps QUOTE]

You guys are way too smart ! but I do have four NOS military spec GEC KT66's stored away and some Mullard ECC83's ;)

COOL! But mil-spec KT66's/KT88's suck for decent audio. Those metal cans don't even look like tubes! I'll give you $10.00 for 'em :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
...and drive the SH*T out of my Maserati!!!!!!
We both know that's what we like to do best... :D

Seems you're making good progress on that NIT, for me now is thinking what is the best replacement of the Becker Craptainer. Issue is, you loose the 6 CD changer and phone, but maybe I'll sell the suite on ebay and a charitable soul gives me a tenner :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
As for the electronics thing... A simple BSEE from Long Beach State followed by a MSEE and MSCS from Stanford followed by 20 years as a Chief Technology Officer (with 18 patents) should do it :D

As a hobby I build tube guitar amps (with DSP front-ends????) and drive the SH*T out of my Maserati!!!!!!

Yah so it looks like I'll stick to Flying planes, networking computers, and realestate for my occupation and hobbies but I sure would like to have that BSEE.
I envy you Buzz. I'll keep an eye out for that CD too. THANKS!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts