Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the manual instructions, I checked my oil while my car was on and after it had warmed up. The oil is way above the max level on the dip stick. Should I be concerned? It also seems to be idleing fast.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes. You need to either have some oil sucked out of the oil tank, or else have the oil changed. Excess oil gets sucked into the intake, and I have heard of mass-airflow sensors getting nuked by it.

Who did the last oil change? Dry sump lubrication systems, like the one the Maserati has, are new to most mechanics and all oil change jockeys so they don't know how to properly fill and check levels on them.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Sioux - engine running, warmed up for about 5 minutes & on level ground. If you're significantly high on the dipstick, I'd have some oil drained as soon as you can. Too much oil can certainly cause issues on any car so don't drive the car hard at all. If you get one of these you can suck some of the oil out yourself; otherwise take it to whomever did your last change and take the issue up with them. Good luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
The excess oil could cause engine damage and this situation should be addressed asap. I wonder how it occurred. It's pretty straight forward to put in the correct amount of oil and seems unusual to get it wrong. I consider the possibility that the filter change was neglected which would result in too much oil if the "correct" amount was put in. The filter holds about a quart. If it were me, I would get another oil change for the peace of mind that all is correct.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If the oil level is at such a level which may cause some serious damage, you will probably notice some white smoke coming from the exhaust, also, if your car has an oil pressure and/or level gauge, you will see it running very high even when warmed up. I would use an extractor pump and suck some out through the dip stick tube. The worse case scenario of an oil overfill will result in compression leaks, blown gaskets, and over-compression of the combustion chamber. Essentially, you may have an engine rebuild. Just make sure you are wiping the dip-stick properly before checking, sometimes the dip-stick picks up oil from the tube its-self if some was deposited there during filling or checking.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. I'm going to take it in tomorrow to have it looked at. I hope it hasn't caused a major problem or I will have to sell. Just can't handle the expense any more :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Perhaps if it has caused a major problem you need to have the issue documented and SUE the party that ruined your car, rather than pass the problem along to someone else.

Who did the oil change ?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I thought they closed neatly a year ago
Wasn't it damage from the big snow storm last winter? I think they moved what was left of the biz to Maserati of Washington. I used to love the fact that the acronym for Maserati of Baltimore was the MOB.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MOB...yeah never thought of it that way. The building they were in was condemed because the roof was unsafe after the snow storm so they are no longer there but I think they were owned by Maser of DC.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
my point was that you have been driving with too much oil for a long time if it's a result of that oil change.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wow, how often do you check your oil? Is there a possibility that your mis-reading the level? Too much oil is definitely harmful, but usually burns off relatively quickly. So, if the oil change was from last winter, I'm surprised that your still WAY over the max mark.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oil Change

It is a good idea to change the oil at least once a year even if you do not have the miles on the oil. The oil can get saturated with moisture over time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I drove my car 2,000 miles before checking the oil level after my local mechanic changed the it. I told the jerk to check it on level ground after wards with the engine hot.

It was 1.2 quarts overfilled. That was a huge amount on the dipstick. Everything seems fine. Sure hope I didn't do any damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I got my car new, it idled rough when not in gear and ran rough at @ 1500 rpm.

Finally the dealer figured out the oil was high and no more problems until the next oil change. Same thing on a lesser basis.

On my car, which isan automatica, I change the oil myself , when I change the oil I put in @ 8.5 quarts and just until I see oil on the dipstick let the engine and then wait 5 minutes and fill to half full.

If I filled the oil to the same level (half full) , even with the engine warm, It will end up overfilling in the level. It's a learned science.

400 angry Italian horses

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
19 Participants
kodpkd
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing