Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
is it worth it to import?

Another nice find JP!

I wonder what sort of expenses would be involved in importing this car into the US. There is the obvious shipping, duty, and gas guzzler tax, but what else? Dubai is pretty tax free from what I understand (sign me up!!), so that helps. But when do the numbers make sense?

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reality is that Italian exotics here depreciate even faster then they do in the US. But, like anywhere in the world, a car's sale price is based on mileage, service history, and accident history. Also, because we have a culture here of buying and flipping cars; some of these exotics are not exactly babied over the course of their lives.

Sports Cars Dubai | Luxury Cars Dubai just sent a manual F430 Spider to the US as part of a trade in from a US expat based in Dubai who moved back to Houston. Apparently it was "easy" because the car was ordered from the Dubai dealer but was a US-spec car (maybe because it was a manual and we get virtually no manuals here???).

Anyways, I would ask them based on their experience and perhaps post a thread dedicated to this topic. You will probably find people have more experience importing from the US to the Mid East and not the other way...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Man that's looks to be a screaming deal.

I totally love the "off black" colors (e.g. charcoal) over basic black or even higher gloss. That orange-ish (definitely not red!) interior color would take some getting used to but then again, I could live with it given the savings. Moreover, since $$ flows like, ahem, oil over there, I bet you could negotiate an even better deal to save on some of the shipping costs.

Get 'em to send you maintenance records, or maybe you could do some of your own due diligence, or pay somebody to do a PPI b4 you squeeze (not pull!) the trigger!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The reality is that Italian exotics here depreciate even faster then they do in the US. But, like anywhere in the world, a car's sale price is based on mileage, service history, and accident history. Also, because we have a culture here of buying and flipping cars; some of these exotics are not exactly babied over the course of their lives.
This makes me worry. I would PPI for sure, but if all of the well priced cars have been beaten up, then I'm wasting my time (and money).

Sports Cars Dubai | Luxury Cars Dubai just sent a manual F430 Spider to the US...
I actually used their web site email function to send them a note about another car of interest (twice) but I haven't heard back from them. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed by that, but who knows with that sort of technology. I'll have to call them instead, but the time zones.....

You will probably find people have more experience importing from the US to the Mid East and not the other way...
Yes, that's probably very true. I'll have to start a thread if I ever make any progress with DoW.

Get 'em to send you maintenance records, or maybe you could do some of your own due diligence, or pay somebody to do a PPI b4 you squeeze (not pull!) the trigger!
Absolutely!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.