Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyres delaminating, drivers being told to slow down to preserve their Pirelli rubber and an average of 4 pit stops per car. This is putting Pirelli and the motorsport in a very bad light and today's race was pretty much a farce. Can we make F1 about racing again and not about tyre conservation strategies?

Fernando Alonso wins F1 Spanish Grand Prix for Ferrari but tyres baffle | Sport | The Guardian

Honestly, I am seriously wondering whether I've been just stupid in loyally sticking to PZeros on my QP over the last three and half years.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
mowlas mate get a grip ;)

Pirelli has been asked to make tires with a high degree of degrade to spice up racing. Their mistake was to be too aggressive, as confirmed by Paul Hembery. Come Silverstone, the tires will be longer lasting.

Then we will all complain that races are boring... ;)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I never really understood F1 and it never managed to catch my interest.

Mainly because its just boring to watch. During the entire race, you see 2-3 interesting overtakes and thats just about it, the rest is just cars zooming around. The commentators (in all the different languages and countries that I've seen) try to fill the empty void by discussing the gossip going on outside the races or just stating various stupid statistics that we care nothing about.

Unless you look at races 10+ years ago (Senna?) which are interesting to watch even today, the current F1 just makes you go to sleep. Probably the only thing more boring than F1 is Nascar in the US, a bunch of cars going round in a circle.

Definitely the most interesting races are WRC and MotoGP.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mowlas mate get a grip
BigFoot, you know a good pun will always get traction with me! :)

It's good that Pirelli have acknowledged their error but I still get a slight whiff of also subtly pointing the finger at the Circuit de Catalunya track. Honestly it did make me think (irrationally) about the tread wear on my PZeros (we've had a few complaints on this and other forums)! Tread wear question marks are not somtheing Pirelli will want to have any association with.

Let's hope for all concerned it does get sorted by Silverstone.

However to MasratiBlue's point, there does seem to be a struggle about whether F1 is first and foremost about engineering and strategies or about racing skill. Not sure the balance is quite right at the moment.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
However to MasratiBlue's point, there does seem to be a struggle about whether F1 is first and foremost about engineering and strategies or about racing skill. Not sure the balance is quite right at the moment.
you said it better that I did, indeed the balance is not right.

imagine F1 in the future, with robotic cars driven remotely via a simulator... oh the inhumanity...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Probably the only thing more boring than F1 is Nascar in the US, a bunch of cars going round in a circle.
Oh, you've got it very, very wrong my friend. In the beloved sport of NASCAR (TM), the cars most certainly do NOT go "round in a circle". They go round in OVALS my good man!! And sometimes they even go round in TRIOVALS!!! They transcended the simple circle yeeeeeears ago. Bah!! :D

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
TBigs, terribly sorry, indeed I got it wrong!!!! How awful of me!!! Indeed they go around in ovals or ellipses :D

I'm sure there must be a lot of excitement waiting for them to.. erm... go round ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I never really understood F1 and it never managed to catch my interest.

Mainly because its just boring to watch. During the entire race, you see 2-3 interesting overtakes and thats just about it, the rest is just cars zooming around. The commentators (in all the different languages and countries that I've seen) try to fill the empty void by discussing the gossip going on outside the races or just stating various stupid statistics that we care nothing about.

Unless you look at races 10+ years ago (Senna?) which are interesting to watch even today, the current F1 just makes you go to sleep. Probably the only thing more boring than F1 is Nascar in the US, a bunch of cars going round in a circle.

Definitely the most interesting races are WRC and MotoGP.
REALLY!??

Even my wife LOVES watching F1. Probably the most exciting racing on TV...at least for me.
Even the use of new tech, like DSR makes strategy more interesting.

I do love Moto GP...too and i actually think F1 and Moto GP parallel each other, from stylistic points of view.

But even Rolex and others seem to get too long and boring. Just wish Fox would put it back on the Speed Channel with the old Pre-race gang.

Given that everyone has to play by the same tire rules,,,,I think it lends an edge of strategy.

Ferrari kicks but down the straights, while Toro Rosso zoooooms around the corners.... As a veteran of Go Kart racing, I guess I'm just partial to open wheeled racking.

Senna, enough said...and I agree....
But if you don't "understand" F1, then I guess you wouldn't enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts