Maserati Forum banner

Today’s project Antifreeze

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  billgt1 
#1 ·
Today is the day to change the antifreeze also decided to replace the radiator hoses top and bottom also the serpentine belt tensioner and belts the car is a 2014 the hoses are quite old at this point not having any problems with them, but good preventive maintenance as you can never tell when rubber is going to give. top tip here The new hoses are very hard and also very hard to install on the radiator and nipples are plastic. Alot easier on the metal ends, so to top tips. first one you can take the hoses put them in your dryer at home with a towel and run for 15 or 20 minutes it will soften the rubber make it pliable and easy to go on. Second tip is to leave the hoses out in the hot sun and It will also soften them up while you take out the old, and get ready to install the new, And yes you can use silicone spray lube or rubber lube, some lubes do deteriorate rubber so you have to be sure which ones you’re using. As for the belt tensioner spring does get old and the bearings do get dry, mine were not making any noises but cheap insurance. And onto the anti-freeze the greatest debate on this forum as we all know, it comes in different colors everyone is free to choose which kind they want which color doesn’t matter I chose blue because my car came with blue, and I use antifreeze from Walmart premixed and cheap enough and works for what I need see pictures of all parts used. The Idler I got on Scuderia along with the belts And hoses.

See less See more
#3 ·
nice write up and project.
constructive criticism: maybe format the word wall into paragraphs?

FYI, i applaud the proactive measures, my experience with lifespans of tensioners and idlers is about... dunno. only had a handfull over the years go bad. maybe 10-12 year old cars and 50k-80k miles. the hoses, about the same range before any notable leaks/seeps/crud build up are seen anywhere. not common.

#5 ·
Wow, the numerous cracks in the belts look scary.. I realize rubber ages and dries, but the composite used in the manufacturing of belts should keep them pliable quite a bit longer than six years...but of course there's always the mileage which impacts wear and tear exponentially faster and more than time by itself ever will .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.