Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the difference discernible?
Yes it is. To begin with the non skyhook shocks are fixed and not adjustable. The skyhook shocks on the other hand are true coil-over and so you can adjust ride hight and corner weight the car to your liking.

·
Registered
695 Posts
OTOH, the standard setup is very close to the "sport" mode of skyhook already and one doesn't have to worry about the warning light popping up and resetting the systems relay/fuse every time one does some back road scratching. I don't know how related the skyhook systems are between Ferrari and Maser but my neighbor's bill was approx $2000 on his F360 skyhook computer/system going belly up. Yea man, that's what I want, more electronic systems on my Italian car.....:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes it is. To begin with the non skyhook shocks are fixed and not adjustable. The skyhook shocks on the other hand are true coil-over and so you can adjust ride hight and corner weight the car to your liking.
So how hard is it to adjust the ride height & does it cause any damage to the system?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Yea man, that's what I want, more electronic systems on my Italian car....."

LOL, but poignant, Bcube.

"Napoli, for the GT S, even the factory guys recommend the non-skyhook version."

What is their reasoning, Bigfoot? What Bcube said about the GTS being similar to the Skyhook in sport mode?

I was also concerned about additional weight on an already heavy car. My dealer felt that it would be a couple hundred pounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OTOH, the standard setup is very close to the "sport" mode of skyhook already and one doesn't have to worry about the warning light popping up and resetting the systems relay/fuse every time one does some back road scratching. I don't know how related the skyhook systems are between Ferrari and Maser but my neighbor's bill was approx $2000 on his F360 skyhook computer/system going belly up. Yea man, that's what I want, more electronic systems on my Italian car.....:)
The Ferrari F360 doesn't use the Skyhook system, it has a Boge system. A lowered Maserati with a good alignment drives very well and puts the power down much more effectively which is not possible with non adjustable shocks. Adjusting the shocks its actually fairly easy, you just have to unload the springs using the threaded plates at the bottom of the springs. Remember to have the alignment adjusted after performing any lowering.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is very discernible, I highly recommend it if you plan to spend a lot of time in your GT-S. Read my review ;)
Yes, Adam, thanks. I read it. Only until I recently read the description on the Maserati site did I understand (if I read it properly) the integration of the cars' engine performance characteristics (when in sport mode) with the computers' road evaluative properties. Double whammy.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
"Napoli, for the GT S, even the factory guys recommend the non-skyhook version."

What is their reasoning, Bigfoot? What Bcube said about the GTS being similar to the Skyhook in sport mode?
The car was apparently designed to run on the traditional suspensions. It's how it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
For a GT-S, non-skyhook. Most of us GS owners ended up replacing the skyhook springs and we always drive in sport mode anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i've had a couple test drives in the GT-S without skyhook, and i thought the setup was optimal. also to consider is if you envision driving in sport mode often, then you are in the stiffer suspension mode, so you mine as well save the $ and not get skyhook. and yes, the factory recommends the GTS without skyhook, as the stiffer suspension is specifically tuned for the GTS.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
..."also to consider is if you envision driving in sport mode often, then you are in the stiffer suspension mode"...

That would be me.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The Ferrari F360 doesn't use the Skyhook system, it has a Boge system. A lowered Maserati with a good alignment drives very well and puts the power down much more effectively which is not possible with non adjustable shocks. Adjusting the shocks its actually fairly easy, you just have to unload the springs using the threaded plates at the bottom of the springs. Remember to have the alignment adjusted after performing any lowering.
Giuseppe,
Thanks for the clarification on the F360 system. I saw your post over on Ferrari Chat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts