That car comes with standard Run Flats.

So...

To Run Flat or not to Run Flat?

That's right... that is the question.

Gene

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good question that I would be interested in what others have to say. I will need to replace tires next year on the CC that I just purchased and I had EMT's on my C5 Vette which I liked until I got a nail in the side wall!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I thought about it too. RF's are convenient but they are very heavy. The problem with the extra weight is that it is unsprung weight and furthermore tires sit at the farthest point out on the wheel meaning they are subject to the highest centrigal force. My guess that a set of run flats has the same impact as losing 20HP. There are numerous other disadvantages not the least of which is that you will need new wheels.

The attached link provides a good summary.

http://techmax.ca/run_flat_tires.htm

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have run flats on a 530 BMW 2004 and hate them. The side walls are so stiff that any irregular road makes it so the car pulls from right to left as though the car is riding a rail and falling off and getting back on. Grooves are a problem for run flats. My run flat tires are from Pirelli and I am sure that the technology is better today. However, the Maser is not designed for run flats, does not have a tire monitor to detect whether the tire has lost air, and in all cases of a tire problem I would tow the car anyway. I can see run flats on a lesser vehicle, but not on the Maserati.

2004 Maserati Coupe
2006 BMW 325i
2004 BMW 530i
1992 Volvo 740i
1974 Jaguar Series III standard convertible

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think about that issue about no sensors.

Technically, they could go flat. And if you run Run Flats for more than 100 miles or so - they could tear up.

I also know what you're talking about the groves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts