Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

so i replied to a post about proper gearbox usage, and the one thing that i did not agree with, was the idea that you are supposed to keep your foot on the gas when changing gears.

i personally lift for a second but after thinking about it now, i feel like maybe i am doing something wrong. i really don't what to have to post something that reads "my transmission exploded".

so i leave this post open for all of you guys to give me your input.

do you or don't you...

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I certainly let up a bit so it doesn't redline (with the F1 this wouldn't matter, keep it to the floor) but usually keep it where it was (ie if I was at 4,500 when I shift I seem to keep enough gas to keep it there).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry... I am a "floor" man.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I lift when generally driving about but keep it planted when 'going for it'. Have you tried 'blipping' the throttle on the down-change - sounds beautiful!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great question....I lifted on my first Coupe because it made the shifts smoother and I treated it over cautiously although the manual says Dont Lift!

Now I have clutch wear problems on my second Coupe.......and Ive noticed that if you dont lift, the shift is quicker and maybe less damaging to the clutch...

not sure but will probably stop lifting on the new clutch....

·
Registered
835 Posts
how about the a third option? blip, that's what I do. love the exhaust note that comes after :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Always keep it planted until the car is finished changing gears.

·
Registered
909 Posts
For smoother shifts Maserati recommends lifting slightly as you are beginning the shift, and then easing back into the throttle as it is re-engaging \ just post clutch engagement. Some throttle modulation is programmed into the shifting anyway, with different pre-sets for normal and sport mode.

The key is that everything is drive by wire, and the computer is always trying to guess what you want to do based on the inputs you give it. If you lift the throttle too much during a shift its going to think you are driving softer than you mean to.

If you're trying to smooth the shifts out - try just feathering slightly out right before it's about to disengage the clutch, and then feathering back in as the clutch is re-engaging. This will slow the shifts down slighty, and probably a little more clutch wear.

- Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts