Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase new tires for my 04 coupe and would like to compile a list of acceptable options... I naturally thought of purchasing Michelin Pilots like original equipment, but after a quick search on TireRack.com, there are quite a few lower cost options. All are Z rated and of proper size. The link below may or may not work... in the event that it does not, enter make, year, model ( without tpms ) and click "View matching front and rear pairs".

I have no interest in a "cheap" solution... but given the choice between two brands that are equal in performance, road noise, wear, etc... a lower cost option should always be considered.

I look forward to your input.
dave

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...all&resultsNumberSelected=Y&displayResults=31

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dave, these are arguably the best tires, period.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

Google them. Highly reviewed. If I didn't have so much tread left on mine, I'd've bought the Ultracs already. Their tread pattern is a unique design that grips the road and throws rainwater clear.

Good luck!

DD

·
Registered
236 Posts
Been discussed quite a bit before so do a search but i always found the Goodyear Eagle F1's to be far superior to the Michelins, especially in the wet. They wore better and were cheaper as well. EVO rated them very highly in their last tyre test. Good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
tires on my 02 spyder

Hello, I just put on 4 new tires mounted and balanced for just over $600.00. I got the tires from Tire rack and I am very happy with them so far. I have had Pilot Sports many times and they are also great but too expensive and wear too fast. I don't track my cars and don't need that much grip. My opinion is that its best to put all season tires on your car if you aregoing to use it in the rain or snow. The summer tires are useless in the snow (obviously).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scottishladd
care to tell us which tires you bought for $600 from TireRack... I didn't see mention in your post... I live in Florida, so no snow concerns... lots of wet in the summertime though.

thanks
dave

·
Registered
744 Posts
Been discussed quite a bit before so do a search but i always found the Goodyear Eagle F1's to be far superior to the Michelins, especially in the wet. They wore better and were cheaper as well. EVO rated them very highly in their last tyre test. Good luck.
I agree. These are pretty solid overall but it depends on how hard you drive. I found the Pilot PS2's had more dry grip on the track at very high speeds and I will probably go back to them when the F1's wear down. The Goodyears are 90% as good though at about 60% of the price and they are way better in the wet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For what it's worth

the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas have an excellent wear rating of 260. And yes, our favorite Maserati designer was a consultant on their design as well. Many of the reviews say there is simply no better tire in the rain.

·
Registered
744 Posts
What exacatly did Giugiaro design?

Most modern tiremakers uses finite element analysis and stress simulations to come up with the tread pattern - not a coachmaker.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I went from OEM Pirelli PZero Rosso to Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics, they are 10x better. Before I was very unhappy with handling and my MSC would kick in all the time, and now with the Goodyear it rarely does. Night and day.

·
Registered
225 Posts
From the press release:

Most modern tiremakers uses finite element analysis and stress simulations to come up with the tread pattern - not a coachmaker.
Ultrac Sessanta: Innovation meets design
The new ultra-high performance tyre by Vredestein and
Giugiaro
The Ultrac Sessanta, a new collaboration with Giugiaro Design,
is Vredestein’s latest entry in the ultra-high performance tyre
segment. Incorporating all the assets of the Ul trac series as a
basis, the Ul trac Sessanta is further optimised for optimal
steering and handling.
Cars such as the Maserati Coupé, BMW M5, Audi S6 and S8, and
Mercedes CLK AMG have become increasingly popular in recent
years, helping sales in the premium tyre segment grow strongly.
In addit ion, there is a high demand in the tuning market for tyres
suitable for speeds of up to 300 km/h or 186 mph (speed code Y)
in the popular sizes of 18, 19 and 20 inches. The new Ultrac
Sessanta is designed to meet the increasing requirements in the
exclusive sports car and tuning segments for high quali ty large
tyres wi th high speed codes.
The Ultrac Sessanta is positioned just above the Ultrac, which
has acquired an outstanding reputation as a fast and comfortable
tyre, especial ly on long journeys. Low profiles and considerable
width mean that the Ultrac Sessanta is far more suited to the
needs of the sports car segment. It is a superlative product with
a superior handling that makes the tyre a logical choice for fast
sports cars. The importance attached to performance is further
underlined by the contours of the Ul rac Sessanta’s revolutionary
design.
Giugiaro
The new tyre was given its name in tribute to Vredestein’s
unique partnership with Giugiaro Design. Sessanta means sixty
in Italian - a reference to Vredestein’s diamond jubilee at its
headquarters in Enschede (The Netherlands), where the
company has built up 60 years of experience in the development,
production and sales of premium tyres.
Vredestein’s unique position at the top of the tyre market has
been reinforced in recent years by its successful partnership
with Giugiaro Design. The Ultrac Sessanta is the fifth tyre to
result from Vredestein’s technicians combining their know-how
with that of the famous Italian design house. Vredestein again
provided the technical design, whi le Giugiaro Design took care of
the aesthetics, creating a visually attractive tyre wi th excellent
performance.

·
Registered
695 Posts

Per this video, Giugiaro Design was responsiblle for the tread design.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWMTiXPbLQ

In the above EVO November 2007 Tyre Test:

Michelin PS2 was the best in ultimate grip in the dry.
Goodyear was second.
Bridgestone was not far behind
Vredestein was in middle for dry grip.

Vredestein was the best in ultimate grip in the wet.
Goodyear F1 was in the running.
Michelin PS2 was not so good. Even worst than Bridgestone.

Road application - comfort, noise, steering feel feedback.
Vredestein was way ahead of the others.
Goodyear was not bad - mainly a noise issue.
Bridgestone was o.k. - sharp steering response.
Michelin PS2 was vague.

Since EVO's focus was biased toward wet weather performance (So it rains in Britain, I guess :) ) and road application - and well its French -, that explains their poorish rating toward Michelin.

Since, I don't need "ultimate dry grip" for my type of driving, sounds like I will try the Vredesteins due to their other superior traits. You, OTOH, do track days, your requirements are obviously different.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just bought Sumitomos, same as listed in tire rack. Total cost including mounting, balancing was under $700 at Family Tire Co in Hollywood, FL. They ruin quieter than Michelin Pilot Sports and seem very stable at high speed. My tire people tell me that 15,000 miles is about all you can expect the way the Maser is set up. At that rate I will stay with the $700 Sumies and not the $1200 Michelins.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just bought Sumitomos, same as listed in tire rack. Total cost including mounting, balancing was under $700 at Family Tire Co in Hollywood, FL. They ruin quieter than Michelin Pilot Sports and seem very stable at high speed. My tire people tell me that 15,000 miles is about all you can expect the way the Maser is set up. At that rate I will stay with the $700 Sumies and not the $1200 Michelins.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I love GoodYear's F1....but since I am a Pirelli importer...well. Pzero is the way to go, but the tread wear is 220. So if you like to drive fast about 8K you will get out of them.

I have them in my MB-E63 AMG...Very nice.

Again I really like GoodYear specially in the wet.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
659 Posts
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
DD
I've had Pirreli, Conti, Michelin, Dunlap, and Goodyear on various cars. I just put the Vredestein's on the Maserati and am very very impressed with their performance and the smootheness and quietness. Never had them before and was hesitant. I will be adding them to my Audi this spring. Also, the inflatable spare is also from Vredestein. The fact that they have an aggressive design by Giugiaro is a nice touch. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts