Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? In 1st through 4th gear, if I apply even moderate throttle, the rear tires chirp. I've learned to lift a little on shifting just to prevent the chirping. The tires are OEM Michelin Pilot Sports, with about 9500 miles. Tread appears to be fine for now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Seems normal to me...

If you don't care for it, I can trade my Saab for your Rati, since the Saab is nice and quiet, with a lot less Torque and Power.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How long can the tires last? I would think not much more than 10,000. Maybe it's time to change if you are still on the original tires.

·
Registered
390 Posts
For some reason when I got the car it wouldn't put the power down at ALL. Also, for some reason straightline braking sucked too. Grip was fine though...

After a thousand miles or so it developed decent traction and the braking got better. I bought the car from a really old guy and I'm thinking maybe he never pushed the car hard, and therefore the tires never got hot enough for the silica in the tires to come out and work effectively. Once I started running it hard the dried out outer shell of the tires wore off and I got to the good stuff.

That being said, the Maser doesn't have the traction of, say, a 911. But that's part of it's charm :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure. It comes only from the rear and only for a fraction of a second under moderate to full throttle. It is high pitched. As I have never chirped tires before, I can't be sure, but it is exactly what I imagine tire chirp sounds like. Just surprised that it is so easy to spin them given their size.

·
Registered
75 Posts
think it could be clutch chirp actually. was happening on mine a bit but mostly in traffic.. and has gine since the replacement clutch .. would be surprised if it's tyres.. but if it's hot tarmac say outside is 90degrees. then it's quite possible to be tyres.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have to agree. As exciting it is to think that the car is breaking loose in the first four gears at moderate throttle, I really doubt that is the case. The "So Fast" CC software update took care of that possibility in all but the most extreme throttle applications, and even then occurs in the lower gears only. My first clutch had a bit of chirp when cold, but only when starting from a stop in first gear. As your warranty is presumably ticking away, I'd have the dealer take a look at this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clutch chirp...

hmm... perhaps I will drop by the dealer and ask him... I have like a year left on my warranty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
follow-up...

The dealer confirmed that it is indeed the clutch slipping. Maserati NA agreed to replace clutch under warranty. Yay!

I'll let you guys know if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why do Maserati NA replace the clutch under warranty? I'm pretty sure they dont in the UK.....any tips here?

F. Yu said:
The dealer confirmed that it is indeed the clutch slipping. Maserati NA agreed to replace clutch under warranty. Yay!

I'll let you guys know if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rich was yours warranty? what milage did you have?

Rich Hale said:
think it could be clutch chirp actually. was happening on mine a bit but mostly in traffic.. and has gine since the replacement clutch .. would be surprised if it's tyres.. but if it's hot tarmac say outside is 90degrees. then it's quite possible to be tyres.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is entirely an issue of how many miles are on the clutch. If the clutch is wearing unevenly and slips prematurely, I think Maserati can be talked into replacing the clutch under warranty. Mine had 9500 miles on it or so. I think if you're up in the 20k range or whatever, they will probably then chalk it up to wear and refuse to cover under warranty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I has this same chirp noise immediately after up shifting under acceleration. I am sure it's not from the tires, and I am pretty certain it's from the gear box. Probably gear box like ours are made from softer material (rubber instead of metal?) and chirps a lot, that's why it wares out fast.

·
Registered
681 Posts
First time I've heard of a clutch change during warranty, very cool nonetheless +1 to Maserati.

·
Registered
202 Posts
god,

i wish my clutch maid noise ( i want a free new clutch). do you think if i record a sound and play it, they'll belive me?

oh, well...

·
Registered
660 Posts
MVP said:
First time I've heard of a clutch change during warranty, very cool nonetheless +1 to Maserati.
Got mine changed under warranty (UK). I think it depends on the dealer + mood of the Maserati Rep, as I know it is unusual. Clutches go under the W+T clause, unless, of course, there is an obvious manufacturing or installation issue.

Sometimes the best you can get is for the dealer to show some goodwill and give you a discount (10-15%) on labor and/or parts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine started chirping soon after I bought it pre owned at 4000 miles usually in second gear when you slow down to almost stop in traffic then pull away. Over the last 2000 miles it began chirping in first on anything other than a light pull away and in 2/3/4/5 under hard acceleration. It does not do it in the higher gears in sport. I can control it a little by lifting off as I change gear.

Need to take it to the dealer but it does not feel like its going to break tomorrow.....but on the other hand it isnt going to get better!.

As Ive had the car for only about 2500 miles (and my last one I sold after 13000 miles with no problems) I can only assume the first owner used auto a lot and screwed the clutch! I'm hoping the dealer will see my side of the story.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
SJP63, that sure sounds like tires chirping to me...let's not forget you're putting almost 400 HP to work here...

In cool weather (engine loves chilly air), with cool tires, I can definitely bust 'em loose with MSP on or off (MSP takes over if on) in 1st and 2nd, and in rare cases, 3rd gear.

Let's not all jump to conclusions that a little wheelspin means bad clutch!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts