Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put the Goodyear F1 on my car and after 300 miles, I think it is a better tire than the P-Zero. Car & Driver rated it #1 and I agree. I am curious as to why all Maserati's and Ferrari's are shipped with the P-Zero which was rated #5 or #6 in the Car & Driver test.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's probably the tire choice of Ferrari when the GS was launched. The car would have been fine-tuned for P-Zero tires, however, it doesn't mean other tires should not perform better or worse. A lot of people stay with the OEM tires so they are guaranteed to meets the manufacturer's original standard (performance vs comfort).

You should ignore the Car & Driver tire test, as it's has many flaws. Unless your car is a 325i (the test car), and has exactly the same weight distribution and suspension setup, you will get totally different results.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was told maserati uses pirelli on the track for contract related reasons.

The tech at the track advised that the michelins were preferred by some of the drivers. This was two years ago. I asked another tech one year later at the same track and he told me he recalls the michelins were faster around the track. No mention of goodyear though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Personally I hate goodyear tires while the new F1GS-D3 is a signifigant improvement it is still far from great...the sport pilot PS-2 is phenominal I am hoping for Yokohama A048RH in my size for the maser when my new wheels come in from japan.

Pirelli's race tire is great and I love they way they perform on my 06 carrera cab my father also uses them on his S600.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used Michelins' Pilot Sports 2 before and I loved it, it gave the best grip both dry and wet I have had
I am still using the stock P-Zero right now but I would guess the PS2s would perform better
Goodyear would probably be more comfortable but softer in turns
different tires serve different types of drivers afterall and there doesnt exist any best tire

·
Registered
104 Posts
which has the best ride

I don't rallye or hot rod too much in my coupe. Stock wheels. current tires are conti's. Every lane marker feels like its 3" tall when going over them at speed. Also pretty noisey at highway speeds. Which tire gives best ride/least noise?

For what it's worth, these tires spin like crazy in 1st gear, so not too grippy in the dry. I dont' drive much in the rain unless caught by accident.

Also tires for our cars are really pricey except dunlop Direzza DZ101, they are like 1/2 the price of michelin/goodyear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i am a PS2 guy...

they are really a superior tire and i have been using then for some time. initial turn-in is great. the stability at hi speeds is good, and it has a predictability that is useful on the streets.

you really don't need a tire that will snap with no warning or that the pick performance is not progressive and balanced. i would recommend the Goodyear tires in rainy conditions, they are really the best in the wet.

now if you really want to go crazy, buy the Michelin Pilot Sport CUP tires. they RULE...

oh, and remenber to get 245 up front and 275 in the rear. this will eliminate understeer and will give you a more progressive oversteer for the nice power slide our cars are famous for :)

nice to see you here sweater, I'll email you lets do lunch some time.

-Willie

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willie-
I went from a P-zero to the PS-2 in my last car (an AMG) and was impressed and thought it was a better tire than the P-zero. I know this is a "girly-man" remark, but I like the look of the tread pattern more than the PS-2.

Shoot me an e-mail. Would love to meet you for lunch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have ps2's and i really love

them. i had them on my carrera as well....
they are great perfomers and a good value.
that being said- i am looking forward to hearing about people;s experience with the new p-zero "the hero" which promises a substantial improvement in wet handling.
i plan on getting the michelin "cups" for my track shoes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i am a PS2 guy...
oh, and remenber to get 245 up front and 275 in the rear...
-Willie
Willie,

Did you replace 235/265's with 245/275's on 19 inch rims? Did they fit OK without rubbing against fenders, etc?

I am considering doing the same thing on my GS to get a little more visual tire on the rim. Have to figure out how to wear away the old rubber first, though ;) .

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did not even think about changing sizes. i stayed with the 235/265 combo. tell me more about the advantage of the 245/275 or is it just a matter of putting more rubber on the road?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Willie,

Did you replace 235/265's with 245/275's on 19 inch rims? Did they fit OK without rubbing against fenders, etc?

I am considering doing the same thing on my GS to get a little more visual tire on the rim. Have to figure out how to wear away the old rubber first, though ;) .
No, i did it on the 18 in. i never had a problem, i even lowered my car and changed the springs for the FD magic springs( just don't call them that in front of formula dynamics, they don't like it)

it drives great,but maybe there is some one that can testify on 19in wheels.

W.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have just replaced the Michelin PS2's the dealer fitted when I bought the car, with the new Goodyear F1 Asymetricos. Initial impressions are that the Goodyears are much quieter and have better wet weather performance. Turn in was perhaps slightly sharper with the PS2's but I think some of that is down to tyre pressures, which I am still playing with. Overall I think the Goodyears are a better overall package and cheaper than the Michelins.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do the 245/275 combo on the 18 inch rims make enough difference to have rubber on the outside of the rim? I've collected a few curb rashes on my stock rims and 235/265 tires as the tire is completely within the rim. I am thinking about refinishing the wheels, and hoping that maybe the 245/275 will put some (any) rubber between the rim and the curb???

·
Registered
722 Posts
I took a look at PS2's on a 997 today, and noticed that there is a little bit of a "rim protector" bead on them, compared to none on the P0 Rosso. Couldn't hurt. Had a more agressive-looking tread pattern too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I replaced the stock Pirelli's with Michelin PS2 on my QP. The Pirelli's had been very worn on the inside on both the rear tires. The outside had 7mm left. The front was balanced wear. I now have the car in the shop to be rebalanced since I always drive in Sport and this apparently could be the reason for the uneven wear.

The PS2 seem fine, I honestly cannot tell the difference. They might feel a bit "meatier" (a good thing) and less road noise. Happy despite the EUR1400 bill for all four.

- Toffe

·
Registered
390 Posts
That's good to know about the tire size / handling balance, wish I'd known before I put new skins on. Did you change profile as well, to account for speedometer error?

I just put a set of PZero Neros on. Can't say the grip is any higher than the Michelins. I think it's about the same, but they are quieter and I could swear the steering has less feel than it did with the Michelins.

Different cars react differently to different tires. I had Goodyears Supercar F1s on my M5, everyone raved about them, but in a back-to-back comparison they definitely had less grip than the Michelins.

Sweater I still say you have the best looking car on the road. I saw a black / black GS on PCH once while I was on my supermoto and just gushed.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I replaced the stock Pirelli's with Michelin PS2 on my QP. The Pirelli's had been very worn on the inside on both the rear tires. The outside had 7mm left. The front was balanced wear. I now have the car in the shop to be rebalanced since I always drive in Sport and this apparently could be the reason for the uneven wear.

The PS2 seem fine, I honestly cannot tell the difference. They might feel a bit "meatier" (a good thing) and less road noise. Happy despite the EUR1400 bill for all four.

- Toffe
Toffe the reason for the uneven wear is due to the fact that cars use negative camber to increase cornering grip

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have to say the Mich. Pilot Sports have much better grip than the P-Zeros. The road noise is louder too, but you bought a 2door v8 so you don't care about that.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Squid-
thanks for the compliment. I am always on the PCH in the lower Malibu area and it could have been me. The Plates read NA400HP, so give me a wave if you pass by. I love the car. I recently sold a company and was going to celebrate by "moving up to a Ferrari". My partner bought a Gallardo spder. To be honest, I have not been able to find another car that I like better than mine at any price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts