Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that some Maseratis come with Pirelli. My came with Michelin Pilot Sport.

Now it's about time to replace.

Elsewhere found post on the survey found here:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

The range of prices is pretty broad. The Toyo Proxes is about 50% of Michelin. What experience is anyone willing to cite with respect to tires in the survey?

Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
FWIW, I bought my used Coupe at Continental in Hinsdale, and they had just put Kumho Ecsta's on. I wasn't crazy about them not being a Michelin or Pirelli, and don't have experience with another tire on this car, but really have reason to complain. They are wearing extremely well to this point.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I put the Kumho's on my old Boxster S and I think they were the best tire for the $$$. I did not track the car but compared to the Pirelli PZeros that came on the car, the were better at temperature, better in the rain, quieter and about 1/3 the price. Not to mention they lasted 32000 miles vs 14500 on the Pirellis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is an entire thread on "tires advice" that helped me decide on tires. I dropped the Pirellis and went with the Michelins on my GS. I love them. Next time I may get slightly wider tires for better looks and wheel coverage. The Pirellis only lasted 5K miles :mad:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have 6K miles on my pirellis, am waiting for them to wear out so I can get PS2's.

Interesting article in tirerack that said stopping distances in rain with tread depth of 2mm (legal limit) are literally twice as long as with 4mm tread depth. The test conditions were reasonable, not a deluge. Maybe the pirelli's won't make it through the winter :) .

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are a set of 19in GS wheels and tires on ebay, I am thinking that might be the way to buy tires. $3500 for all 4 wheels and tires is not too bad.
I really like the Michelins on my Coupe right now. The Pirellis turned greasy when hot. Maybe in a cooler climate they wold have been better, but I will never buy them as replacements.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you believe the test results cited at the top, Pirelli is weak compared to most of the tires.

Interestingly, the dealer came back suggesting the Goodrich g-force which tested the best of any tire dry but were much weaker wet. These tires are $500 less than the Michelins or the Yokohamas.

Now what is the best dry performance worth if you are giving up some wet? Are you willing to slow down in the rain?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Pilot Sport 2's are not Pilot Sports

I find the Pilot Sport's to be a great performing tire - note that I said Pilot Sport, not Pilot Sport 2. I prefer the OEM tread style that came on the PS's, not the aftermarket tread of the PS2's.

There is a difference!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bridgstone Re050A POLE POSITION

Rated higher than the PS2's and considerable less money. They have matching rears but not front. I went with 245/40/18 up front at the suggestion of tire rack and they have been great. I wanted the stickiest tire for the best price.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Rated higher than the PS2's and considerable less money. They have matching rears but not front. I went with 245/40/18 up front at the suggestion of tire rack and they have been great. I wanted the stickiest tire for the best price.
Pole Position - Great game. My bros and I used to race it at the bar, and high score got to drive home... <disclaimer - now that I am older and wiser, I condemn any type of intoxicated motoring>

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went with "gForce sport" and sizes did match original. They are W rated not Y so I am supposed not to exceed 168mph, which will definitely crimp my style, but maybe it will save me a few bucks.

Only have about 40 miles on them so far but they seemed to deal well with the turns I threw at them - no complaints at first blush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tires

Has anyone tried the Goodyear Eagle F1s-the winner of that Car and Driver test?
Are they available in the correct sizes?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
FWIW, I bought my used Coupe at Continental in Hinsdale, and they had just put Kumho Ecsta's on. I wasn't crazy about them not being a Michelin or Pirelli, and don't have experience with another tire on this car, but really have reason to complain. They are wearing extremely well to this point.
I also put Kumho ASX's on 200 miles ago. A hard tire with a huge wear rating. I get a little more wheel spin off the line but they seem to handle well in the rain. These should wear well (at least better than the PS, which were bald at 8000 miles)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I also put Kumho ASX's on 200 miles ago. A hard tire with a huge wear rating. I get a little more wheel spin off the line but they seem to handle well in the rain. These should wear well (at least better than the PS, which were bald at 8000 miles)
Now I am on Pirelli Rosso Extra's on the GS, handle nicely as usual, but reckon they will last 10K miles... as usual :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I replaced the PS2's with new Goodyear Eagle F1's and there is a very noticeable difference, for the better. They have much more grip in the wet and are also quieter and so far are wearing much better than the PS2's which lasted only 6,000 miles. So far I have 5,500 on the Goodyears with plenty of tread left. They have also just come out on top in an EVO Magazine tyre test. I would recommend them over the PS2's.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had F1 GS3 on the rear and Kumho ASX on the front on my stock rims the ASX was a less then pleasant tire to drive (too hard for a sports car) and the GS3 were pretty shot and very blue when I got them (common of a tire that has been spun a lot)

When I got my new rims (went up to a 19) I purchased Yokohama AVS ES100 I have run a lot of yokos (AVS sports on my mustang, A032R on my track car and A048 on my nissan) I have to say it is a VERY impressive tire...great threshold and a nice little screatch at thier traction limit slides are quiet, stable, and very progressive the tire is predictable and has little change in traction between warm and cold best of all I paid $658 (wholesale account) for the set (less then half of PS2s in the same sizes) so if I go through one set of rears a summer I am still money ahead of the Biannual Michelen change out...I may step up to the R compund on the front and rear if I upgrade to the KW coilovers and the Modena performance sway bars but until then I love these tires!

·
Registered
160 Posts
F1 tires

Great tire both in the dry and wet. Good on wear, I even track the car twice a year and there great on the track. Must go to winter tires when temps drop below 45 degrees. I have Verdensteins winter tires and love them for the winter.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't drive my car in the rain, but 5,000 miles is pretty quick. I think I did close to 17 or 18,000 on mine, but they were absolutely bald/slick when I changed them with some metal showing on the backs.
PS2 on my car now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Michelin PS v gForce Sport: At this point I can say that the PS were definitely stickier. I am having fun with the gForce but they slip sooner, both when you step on the gas and into the turns. I will find a way to enjoy them, but they seem less grippy than the PS to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts