Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pic of car in dash and shows low PSI by one pound on different tires. Car is two months old with 2,000 miles. Daily driver with no other issues.

Spent the morning at an authorized dealer. No leaks(we sprayed and submerged in water and no bubbles) No codes(we hooked up to Maserati OBDII scanner) Mechanic drove the car and message and PSI lamps went away but within a couple of hours later after leaving the dealer, they're back. This car is a GT Sport model that was on the showroom floor 60 days ago; has anyone experienced this issue?

Mechanic said we can drain out oxygen and replaced with nitrogen in all four tires. Is this a good idea or immaterial to the issue? Once driving a mile all lamps and messages disappear but its annoying on start up. We just finished a heat wave so clearly low temp isn't the cause.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure my mechanic did but I just recalibrated in case this morning. That's the "+" button next to "mode?"

I read that over 400 Mas were recalled in 2012 over the tire pressure system but couldn't find anything about 2013.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mine gives me the orange low pressure warning on cold starts or when the PSI is less than 34 or so... drive it around and it disappears... until one day when I had a nail in it... and the pressure dropped to 17.... so it works, but is a bit "quirky!"

·
Registered
368 Posts
my 09 TPMS are pretty sensitive to temperature chnages...liek my other cars have been.

I did have nitrogen filled tires for a while...never had any issues. I'm guessing the nitrogen doesnt' flucutuate as much with temperature change.

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
my 09 TPMS are pretty sensitive to temperature chnages...liek my other cars have been.

I did have nitrogen filled tires for a while...never had any issues. I'm guessing the nitrogen doesnt' flucutuate as much with temperature change.

My understanding is that it's drier.

C

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Had the rear tires replaced a couple of days ago and I asked the shop ( to which my independent mechanic outsources all of the tires and alignment work for the Ferraris , Maseratis , etc they work on ) if they use nitrogen as opposed to just plain good old air .. the shop manager said he does not believe it makes much difference , or maybe 1% or so, but over a very long period of time. Funny, Costco ( of all places .. ) advertises their tire shops use only Nitrogen, as if that should be THE motivation to go there for your tires :wink2: So if air is close to 8O % nitrogen anyway , it’s only the 20 % of your tire that may lose an incremental psi vs. regular air , after what, six months ?! Not something to lose sleep over, IMO :|

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
I tend to agree. Although my understanding is that it's less about Nitrogen and more about it being dry (at least the motivation for race teams), which means it doesn't have as much pressure range as temperature changes.

I have a pal who's an aircon engineer. He filled mine with N2 that he had a cylinder of a couple of years ago. It did seem to make the car more stable, but that's as like that we got the pressures good and a huge dose of placebo effect.

C

·
Registered
178 Posts
Remember. 10 degrees = 1psi. BTW, THIS VEHICLE does not do well with lower pressures than recommended. First vehicle I have had in years that I truly consider placard pressures to be the absolute minimum.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Gimmick...I don't think any car comes from the factory with Nitrogen? Air is just fine....Jason

So the GREEN valve stem caps (supposedly indications of Nitrogen filled tires) are a gimmick from Maserati, but the "Toe out" factory default aligned front tires with Pirelli soft P-ZERO's are not Gimmicks?

I would say either all are not Gimmicks or all are mistakes/oversights (Alignment, not caring about the ROI of the stock tire life and Fake Green Caps on stems for show).....

Which one?

2,959 Posts
So the GREEN valve stem caps (supposedly indications of Nitrogen filled tires) are a gimmick from Maserati, but the "Toe out" factory default aligned front tires with Pirelli soft P-ZERO's are not Gimmicks?

I would say either all are not Gimmicks or all are mistakes/oversights (Alignment, not caring about the ROI of the stock tire life and Fake Green Caps on stems for show).....

Which one?

I'm not even sure what you are asking ? A bunch of people will get up tomorrow and go to work with just air in their tires...Happens everyday..Yes, nitrogen in car tires is BS...Sorry...They use it in race cars because the tire pressures affect the spring rate...I don't think a soccer mom is worried about spring rate? All car manufactures make mistakes....That is why there is TSBs, recalls etc....J

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sorry for the confusing post...I am drinking Scotch right now....

My Maserati came with Green Valve stem caps.
I was told that the tires are filled with Nitrogen.
(Hence the GREEN valve stem caps vs. typical black ones)

IS this a Gimmick from Maserati?

NO Nitrogen in the stock supplied tires + Green caps for no reason OR YES Nitrogen filled tires from the factory but you are saying no reason for us to have it in the tires (forget a soccer mom in a caravan) - in the GTS

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
Never heard of green valve caps denoting Nitrogen fill <shrug>

I have however heard of Maserati putting whatever parts they have lying around on their cars (or not) <further shrug>

There are many things marketing departments supply that are not fundamentally of benefit to the end users (gluten free shampoo, anyone?) but help sell their products.

C

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah.. I remember Tire Discounters making a big deal about "Nitrogen Inflation!!".. gimmicky to me. I don't think they do it consistently anymore. I'm presuming the big push for Nitrogen in racing is so that altitude and temperature has less of an effect on the tire pressure.

·
Registered
695 Posts
But why WOULDN'T you put nitrogen in the tires if it is offered? Seems like a reasonable "Gimmick" to me.....(I know I am just goofy)

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Maybe try helium, it’ll make the car lighter and therefore faster .. but the exhaust will sound really funny . :grin2:
Sorry, attending a “ happy hour “ event with some business associates and the few martinis are doing the talking for me at the moment>:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts