Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 GranSport Spyder with 7800 miles on it. Whenever I apply fully power in 1st or 2nd, the rear tires "hop" and the MSP comes on like mad cutting power. The tires don't look like they are worn anywhere near the wear indicators, but maybe they are the problem?

I have the Pirelli PZero Rossos on the car...granted I live in NJ and the roads are all broken up, but this happens even on "smooth" pavement.

Does anyone else notice this issue?

·
Registered
72 Posts
What do you expect with almost 400bhp and a heavy right foot :rolleyes:?

Nothing wrong with the brand of tyre per se - assuming there's no oil / diesel etc spilt on them?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Take the MSP off and see what happens when you try that.
(make sure that you have plenty of room around you)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine does the same thing. At about 40mph in 1st, the rear tires break loose at anything over half to three-quarters throttle. I'm going to ask the dealer to take out half of the sparkplugs to see if that helps.

Hey, 400 posts, 400hp.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Mine does the same thing. At about 40mph in 1st, the rear tires break loose at anything over half to three-quarters throttle. I'm going to ask the dealer to take out half of the sparkplugs to see if that helps.

Hey, 400 posts, 400hp.
Is the # posts <-> HP correlation guaranteed? :)

I find that four medium potatos, hammered into the exhaust with a rubber mallet, will also reduce power and performance to a more manageable level.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I find that four medium potatos, hammered into the exhaust with a rubber mallet, will also reduce power and performance to a more manageable level.
That's a great DIY solution we can all try at home!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
can we get a group buy on Russets?
I've found "Yukon Gold" potatoes far superior to Russets for this particular application due to their slightly higher heat resistance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
funny Rick.. very funny...

in a pinch Mr. Potato head works well.. kind of like a mini spare, you can carry it in the boot and it will not perish....

Rick... I am in Longport NJ.. not far from you.. I am waiting for new GT from Kerbeck... any experience with Kerbeck service vs Algar... Kerbeck has treated me like gold ....

thx

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A nice problem to have....

Here at 5280 feet, well we lose about 15% of that.. It's 3% per thousand feet above sea level in regard to hp degradation... I would love to get the wheel hops but here they just spin, and chirp..

Now my old 1968 Camaro, 327, built by Tak Shiramizu, well that would get the wheel hops so bad the chrome came off the wheel wells, so a set of ladder bars was the fix... Of course the Camaro topped out at 130mph and cornered like an old Chris Craft in heavy waves...

·
Registered
227 Posts
An alternative to the potato fix is to insert this item under that troublesome gas pedal.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've found "Yukon Gold" potatoes far superior to Russets for this particular application due to their slightly higher heat resistance.
Sorry but the recent studies conducted by Consumer Reports found that Ore Ida had both a higher heat resistance and provided extra lubrication under pressure than both Yukon Gold and Russets.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
in a pinch Mr. Potato head works well.. kind of like a mini spare, you can carry it in the boot and it will not perish....

Rick... I am in Longport NJ.. not far from you.. I am waiting for new GT from Kerbeck... any experience with Kerbeck service vs Algar... Kerbeck has treated me like gold ....

thx
No experience with Kerbeck, EDI. But my Algar experience has all been extremely positive thus far.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry but the recent studies conducted by Consumer Reports found that Ore Ida had both a higher heat resistance and provided extra lubrication under pressure than both Yukon Gold and Russets.
Sweet potatoes and Yams are feeling left out guys

·
Registered
357 Posts
"I ain't fallin for no banana up my tailpipe trick" -Axel Foley

How old are your tires? Maybe they're dried out. Does it mainly do this when the tires are cold? Maybe you are just getting on the gas too hard or maybe you have a tire issue that leaves you unable to hook up as much power to the pavement as you should.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the tires are about 13 months old....I don't think it is related to them being cold, as it happens even after 30 minutes of drive-time....I was thinking about the suspension being part of the issue...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts