Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my old friends who worked for Goodyear in the 80s, said that tire “flat spots“ resulting from storing a car for many months , or even years, are in large part a myth.. ( supposedly just stories perpetrated by tire manufacturers and companies who sell tire beds which allegedly prevent flat spots ) He said you’d have to let the psi get below 20 or so, for at least two or three consecutive years of storage in order for any meaningful and permanent flat spots to develop which would affect the tire’s performance. Since this is only one opinion ; having worked as a product engineer for a tire manufacturer might give him just a bit more credibility than the typical lay person out there, but still not sure that makes him an expert on the subject, and I’d rather rely on mechanics‘ objective opinions and forums members’ real life experience with this. Tires and brakes are the last things I‘d want to take a chance on .. could be a life and death risk, so if the “myth“ has even a grain of truth to it, I’d rather side with better safe than sorry school of thought .

Anyone here who has personal experience on the topic ?

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
558 Posts
Never had it to a point that made a difference or remained permanent.

I've seen it once or twice on a garage queen car and it disappeared as soon as I took it for a drive and heated up the tires.

The more important thing is to watch for it on motorbikes as any tire anomaly can cause an accident, unlike cars which are inherently stable and won't fall over.

But same as the car, as soon as I ride the bike and heated up the tires, the flat spots disappear.

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
984 Posts
The first year I stored my 2016 GT (non heated garage) - yes I had flat spots on the bottom after 4+/- months of storage.

Years following I inflated up to 37/38 psi +/- AND ordered the {styro}foam tire mats you drive onto (maybe 2" or 3" tall with a dip in the middle for the tire)....still cold storage....every spring since I did this ZERO flat spots after 4 +/- months.

Can anyone advise if me filling UP the tires to 37/38 psi is the right thing? I "seems" to me to work....

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That’s what I do ( inflate the tires to 38 or so ) on any car which may sit for months .. and then just let some air out when and if I decide to drive it.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I made a previous post of my experience storing my QP with P Zeros (3k miles) for the summer in Palm Desert CA. I forgot to air them up and after 6 months I had the worst case of flat spots you can imagine. I tried everything, over inflating, high speed runs, rebalancing but nothing worked so at 3.5k I replaced them. In the future I aired my tires up and used "Flat Stoppers". No more problems.

I have heard and I believe P Zeros are very susceptible to deforming.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Makes sense that tires with very soft compound ( Pirelli is well known for that ) would be a little more susceptible to deformation. I would think the weight of the car also plays some role in this, and our GTs are not all that light.. Good to know that flat stoppers have worked for you, I‘ll probably get a set for one of my cars that resides in the garage a lot of the time. Not too expensive ( under $ 300 ) and nothing to lose .. so I guess it’s a “why not?” decision.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I'll sell my set of 4, used once, in the original box. Living in South Texas now, I don't think I'll need them any more.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So temperatures have an affect on tires flat spots ?! I was reading it’s actually colder temps that have a more adverse effect ( even though that makes little sense to me.. )
I live in a climate that’s about as moderate and as consistent all year round as it gets .. in the dead cold of Ca “winter” my unheated garage temp almost never dips below 60, and in the heat of summer it never gets above 75 . Or are you saying that it’s because you’ll drive the car a lot more often in So Texas than in Palm Desert, because the temps are not so extreme , and the car won’t sit around as long ? Either way, I’ll send you a PM on this, if I do decide to buy a set ..

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I just went with a new set of Michelin sp4s. I drive the car every week or so but I let 2 sets of Sp4s go long before their time. Just don't trust the Ps.

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
558 Posts
The softer compound tires are more susceptible but recognize we are all using street compound tires, soft or not.

I've had soft compound race tires and they will show deformity in a month if you let it sit but even those I've been able to work out with more air and some runs.

Keep your tire inflated and drive more often. Even once a month is enough.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I moved the car about 1/4 turn of the tires and closely inspected the segment that was on the ground, both visually and by touch ; I can’t either see or feel anything different at all vs. the other tire segments. And I just realized I have not driven the car in seven months !! ( I do run the engine for about 15 minutes every month to get everything lubricated, including the AC ) so maybe when I do that I’ll also keep moving it back and forth slightly ..about one ft, just to switch the patch of tire that makes contract with the floor for any significant duration.
Maybe it’s the combination of the Pilot Sports 4 S construction , the fact they’re only about one year old, with hardly any mileage on them , the mild ambient temperatures, the slight over-inflation , the car weighing only 3,050 lbs, or whatnot that has avoided flat spots, but I’ll take it as an encouraging sign ..and more importantly this is probably a motivation for me to drive that car more frequently, because it‘s a phenomenal fun driving experience every time I get in it .. manual shift six speed / clutch. How can anyone not love that ?! :cool: I used to drive it almost every weekend, but this last year has changed my habits so much, that aspect suffered along with just about everything else ..😔

·
Registered
494 Posts
45 all round in the temps car will experience. never gets moved for 5 months. Never an issue after they heat up after 5-10 minutes. BTW 45 is way below Max pressure on sidewalls.

Reactions: DSGT

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if it doesn’t move for five months , do you also fire it up and let it idle for any given amount of time , once a month , or weekly , or not all all ? There are two schools of thought on that issue, and even the seasoned mechanics to whom I have spoken over the years don’t always agree on whether or not that m.o. does any good or any bad...

Jason...an expert opinion is warranted here 🥺.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
149 Posts
informative thread, thanks all. Getting ready to store my GT for the first time too. Holding out as long as possible.....

anyone have any experience using fuel stabilizer? is it a must? any recommendations? I know that's off thread topic but is related and might save someone a few extra search clicks.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
The longest I stored a Mas was 1 year. 1/4 tank of fuel (I always burn Shell premium) no stabilizer necessary. She fired up like it was yesterday, went directly to the local Shell station and topped off with fresh fuel.

Reactions: GhibliGransportSQ4

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,517 Posts
While you guys are getting ready to hibernate your GT’s, I’m getting ready to mount winter tires on mine. Cars are made to be driven, not sit and rot.

Ah winter.......bring it on!

Reactions: normandbella

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While you guys are getting ready to hibernate your GT’s, I’m getting ready to mount winter tires on mine. Cars are made to be driven, not sit and rot.
Yeah ! That’s what I say here in Ca... bring WINTER on ! And I tempt fate by driving the GT with the same high perf summer tires which I have on all year ! :p

·
Registered
283 Posts

Lol I guess that depends on your definition of winter.....
My GT C stays warm in the garage all winter. Too many stupid drivers out there that don't know how to handle the cold and snow. That and a 'vert in -30C wouldn't be very pleasant I don't think.
As for flat spots, never had an issue yet. Parked my Viper 6-7 months at a time in a non heated garage and no issues at all with flat spots. Last year was my first with the GT and no issues. I cut a couple plywood squares to put under the tires just to keep them off the concrete. Not sure if that's really necessary but....

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Too many stupid drivers out there that don't know how to handle the cold and snow.
Amen to that ! And the only reason I have avoided ( to the extent I could..) driving my “nice“ cars in rain or snow. When I lived in Cleveland, I’d say maybe half of the drivers knew how to drive in crappy conditions, while another half were idiots at the wheel. In California, 90% ( and I may be understating that figure ) of drivers become clueless the moment even a drop of rain hits the ground, and suddenly accidents go up exponentially. Fortunately that happens so rarely here, we can easily drive our “who-cares-if-it-gets-a-dent-in-it cars” during those few days a year, so it’s not that big of a sacrifice.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
149 Posts
The longest I stored a Mas was 1 year. 1/4 tank of fuel (I always burn Shell premium) no stabilizer necessary. She fired up like it was yesterday, went directly to the local Shell station and topped off with fresh fuel.
thanks for your input. any particular reason for having 1/4 of a tank prior to storage? I'm probably going to store this weekend and I have a lot of gas left to burn before I get down to 1/4 tank.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts