Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my m3 (michilen PS2 tires)

I was driving to work, a mindless drive at 800 AM around a 10 mile drive. I am driving and the car is pulling hard to the right and I just think it could be alinement etc. which I had an appointment to see the dealership this week for oil and a check up. So I merge onto the highway (3-4 miles of highway driving) and I am in the far left lane (doing maybe 65-70 mph normal like everyone else) and all this sudden my "check engine light came on" 3-4 seconds later...

tire pops off the car and rolling on the highway! The tire was going faster then my car was.

Then the car jerked once real hard as it went down on the rim (not a nice noise with allloy wheels meets road) then the car jerked really hard again to the right.

I am now at a 30 degree angle on the highwaymaybe doing 5-15 mph. I look out my passenger side window and see cars coming right towards me and I just floored it. The RPMS went way into the 9000s. Thank god their was a gap between cars and myself. I think back about it how I was lucky to not be -boned

I was able to make it across 3 lanes to the right shoulder someone got across in a safe manor.

As I was pulled over I called the tow truck and waited for an hour just sitting their in the dirt gravel with my black pants/white shirt and tie watching cars go by.

This entire event seemed sureal to me. I didnt really panic I just reacted did the best I could to save myself.

O ya. as my car was being pulled up the tow truck the entire front end was being rubbed against the bottom of the tow truck

comestic damage
1. cracked wheel
2. front spoiler ruined
3. right side skirt gone

mechanical
1. rear suspension has some issues

tire
I have no idea how this could have happend. I thought my tires were in good shape. I just checked the air pressure the other day as well and it was 36. right where I like to be on the front

I will get some pics in a minute uploaded

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is my car next to the tire I recoved from the side of the highway.

I wanted to see what it looked like

·
Registered
286 Posts
did u check the tire for nails? good thing u recovered the tire. now u know what a slow leaking tire feels like for next time. glad u made it out with minor damage.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
In order for your tire to fly off the car like that, the bead needs to be broken...

So I would suggest making sure someone didnt do that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea what caused it, I am glad I am ok.

As after owning this car I can say their is no way I could have as many problems compared to a Maserati :)

in less then a year

1. engine recall rod bearing
2. new clutch/master cylinder
3. convertible top failed half way up
4. blow out (cracked rim right right)
5. eletronic problems
6. battery didnt start (left in the middle of now where)
7. interior trim fell off
8. oil leak
9. this adventure (tire fell off and cracked rim and comestic damage

add those up ! lol

I think I am ready for a Maserati here soon :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Alex said:
I have no idea what caused it, I am glad I am ok.

As after owning this car I can say their is no way I could have as many problems compared to a Maserati :)

in less then a year

1. engine recall rod bearing
2. new clutch/master cylinder
3. convertible top failed half way up
4. blow out (cracked rim right right)
5. eletronic problems
6. battery didnt start (left in the middle of now where)
7. interior trim fell off
8. oil leak
9. this adventure (tire fell off and cracked rim and comestic damage

add those up ! lol

I think I am ready for a Maserati here soon :D

That's because it is a BMW :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MaseratiBoy said:
That's because it is a BMW :D

BMW = not bravian auto works
BMW = not Brings me women

BMW = broke my wallet :D

at least this thing is paid off

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Alex = New member to forum/planning to upgrade from M3

it's a sign.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
BMW=

"Bead Might Work"
"Broke My Wheel"

Sorry Alex, couldn't resist (since your OK and unharmed).

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had a similar thing happen with a Kinesis wheel on my Alfa 164 back in October. The difference was that I was on a city street, felt the wheel really pulling hard to the right. I immediately saw a tire store a block up the road. Drove it in, and they found out the valve stem had come loose on the inside of the wheel. Thank goodness my tire didn't come off the rim, but just driving that one block destroyed the belts on the inside of the tire. It was a mess.

Glad you weren't hurt!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
RickBullotta said:
BMW=

"Bead Might Work"
"Broke My Wheel"

Sorry Alex, couldn't resist (since your OK and unharmed).
if it were factory wheels and tires this might actually be funny.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack your thread Alex but here's my tire failure in my 02 Maserati at 90mph as I was slowing down from a 165mph pull.

Either way sorry to hear about what happened and I am glad you are safe. Now just hurry up and SELL that thing and get a Maserati before it kills you!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
brand of wheel/tire

Alex said:
here is my car next to the tire I recoved from the side of the highway.

I wanted to see what it looked like

Can't tell from the pic, but it looks like a BBS CV wheel. Keep in mind, if it's less than a year old, all BBS wheels come with a 1 year road hazard warranty. PM me for info if you need it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MVP said:
Sorry to hi-jack your thread Alex but here's my tire failure in my 02 Maserati at 90mph as I was slowing down from a 165mph pull.

Either way sorry to hear about what happened and I am glad you are safe. Now just hurry up and SELL that thing and get a Maserati before it kills you!
I had a major blow out as well. The tire basically did the same thing about 2 months ago

I just had the dealership put on 4 new tires and fix the rear suspension as well....

here is a pic of the rear blow out

I cant wait to get the Maserati. I havent even driven one yet but I will be shortly as the dealership where my car is their is an 02 for sale with only 2k of miles on it

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

this happend around 100 mph (I was gunning it)

this happend on Thanksgiving day and it was a mess

·
Registered
46 Posts
Both failures resemble flat tire failures

The photos posted (M3 and Maserati) both appear to be what are referred to as 3 ring failures (run flat failure) in the tire industry. Basically, a flat tire will cause the sidewalls to essentially be abraded and cut against the roadway (rim down to road). You will then find 3 rings left (2 sidewalls and the center tread piece). This is a very brief description that is somewhat short on the specific engineering involved.

It would appear that both these tires ran almost totally flat for a few miles. Typically, a road hazard will cause the sudden deflation and it may not be that noticable on cars with low profile, stiff sidewal rubber.

Glad you're both o.k. but my guess (without personally examining the tires) is that these are classic run flat failures and resulted from a road hazard causing a sudden deflation within a few miles of the utlimate failure.

Lastly, I have tested numerous vehicles with flat tires over the years at high and low speeds. This has included SUV's, sports cars, etc. While a tire coming totally off the rim is a pretty dramatic event, normal tire failures are not an accident causing event. Just remember gentle steering inputs, gentle braking inputs, nothing dramatic and pull over and change the tire.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
run flat? theses were standard tires

M3 do not come with a spare or run flats and fix-a-flat can WILL NOT WORK ON zr RATED TIRES

1 - 20 of 22 Posts