Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of 05 Spyder GT. Black/Cuoio. I have car about 4 weeks and found hand car wash, using them once a week. Today they pointed out the inner side of front tires wearing and appearing unsafe. Hadn't notice this when I got car(8660 miles). I seem to recall reading a thread about the car wash tracks possibly damaging tires! Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
513 Posts
i really doubt 4 car washes would do that to your car.

does the car have the original wheels? inner tire wear is caused by negative camber. if your wheels are OEM, then I would get a new set of fronts and do an alignment. if you are non-stock wheels, then you may have to live with increased inner wear and more frequent tire replacement

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car has original Goodyear F 1's and wheels. Is it possible the occasional pothole has contributed to this? I will change fronts & have alignment without a doubt!
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When you say inner side, are you talking about the side walls or the treads.

If it's the treads, those cars come from the factory with a negative camber and they do wear more/faster the inner part. You can fix this issue but will lose in grip when cornering. For normal driving it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Ok, so there's nothing to do with camber. Carwash is possible though...

·
Registered
491 Posts
The 4200's factory camber is only -0.5 degree and should not cause much inside wear from camber. However, factory toe is relatively excessive, which do cause inside edge (thread) wear...

none should be causing sidewall damage though...

jess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts