Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch ! Is it that bad ?

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658531,00.html

1984 Maserati Biturbo

"Biturbo" is, of course, Italian for "expensive junk." At least, it is now, after Maserati tried to pass off this bitter heartbreak-on-wheels as a proper grand touring sedan. The Biturbo was the product of a desperate, under-funded company circling the drain of bankruptcy, and it shows. Everything that could leak, burn, snap or rupture did so with the regularity of the Anvil Chorus. The collected service advisories would look like the Gutenberg Bible. The only greater ignominy was the early 1990s Maserati TC, a version of the Chrysler Le Baron (a flaccid, front-drive, four-cylinder loser-mobile) with the proud Mazzer Trident on the nose. Finally, sir, have you no shame?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few things people must understand about turbocharged sports cars:
1) kids love them, kids love to beat cars and not take care of them
2) you must keep up on your maitenence on turbo cars, lower oil change intervals, checkups, letting the car cool after beating it....
3) People get these, build them up a little, focus on going fast, and not just going.....
Why do Maseratis break? HMMMM get a 20yr old car, beat the hell out of it without tranny grease changes, oil changes, proper setup of spark...... Just like any car, you have to keep up on it if you want to have fun with it. You cannot expect it to hold up another trouble free 20 yrs..... I do understand some dumb engine flaws were incorporated into the 1984 model, coolant seeping into the engine sleeves and such. But, it did get better in later years.
You have to change oil pumps, intercooler pipes, tbelts, water pumps, turbos etc.... Thats just life, and its not just Maseratis, its corvettes, ferraris, porsches, lotus's, dsms......

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had three Biturbos in my life starting in 1984 until 1999. (two 1984's and a 1985) and a 1982 QP. All cars were carefully maintained and never had any seriuos issues. (I did have the coolant seeping issue corrected in one 1984 while under warranty and the other 1984 by swapping a 1985 motor from a wrecked donor car.) The QP and 1985 Biturbo were both automatics.

It will be almost impossibe to find a "older" Maserati that has been properly cared for. If there is one out there it could be the 228 model.

Personally, if I ran accross a properly maintained (un modified) 228 - I'd pick it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts