Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally my lifters make a loud ticking noise on my 05 GS. The dealer told me that this is normal for the car especially after sitting for several days. I also find this noise occurs while at idea for long periods of time in traffic but goes away once driving. Do others have this issue and should I be concerned?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Occasionally my lifters make a loud ticking noise on my 05 GS. The dealer told me that this is normal for the car especially after sitting for several days. I also find this noise occurs while at idea for long periods of time in traffic but goes away once driving. Do others have this issue and should I be concerned?
Mine does it too, but only when the car is warming up (and for less than 2 minutes if that). I'm not concerned yet!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
YIKES! Please read my posts on this.... If your car is warmed up and has the correct oil level IT IS NOT NORMAL! I was lucky enough to have my engine replaced under warranty.

If your engine "taps" loudly at idle but goes away at higher RPM, this is an indication of a blocked oil feed to one (or more) of your lifters. The higher RPM supplies enough oil pressure to quiet the lifters.

My car used to sound like a diesel at stop lights.

I hope this isn't your problem. Low oil level causes a similar symptom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hummmm... my car has done this on a several occasions. All happened during cold starts after being parked for a few weeks except on TWO occasions when it was very hot and the car was in traffic sitting at a stop for about 10 minutes running.... Now I am getting concerned.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
hummmm... my car has done this on a several occasions. All happened during cold starts after being parked for a few weeks except on TWO occasions when it was very hot and the car was in traffic sitting at a stop for about 10 minutes running.... Now I am getting concerned.
I didn't mean to freak you out :) But a car doesn't normally sit at a red light clacking so loud others can hear it. Mine did. I even had someone yell at me "Hey dude! What's wrong with your car?". As soon as I hit 1200 RPM it went totally quiet. The dealer tried everything and finally had MNA come down to check it out. MNA decided the engine was shot and put a new one in ($35K) under warranty. That said, I'm sure a good indie could find the specific problem and fix it for MUCH less.

BTW clacking at startup until warm IS normal. Also, fresh 5W50 quiets it down dramatically.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i got a new engine at 48,000 miles

i had the lifter noise and oil pressures all over the place. my engin was replaced with 2000 miles left on the warranty. check it out.

I didn't mean to freak you out :) But a car doesn't normally sit at a red light clacking so loud others can hear it. Mine did. I even had someone yell at me "Hey dude! What's wrong with your car?". As soon as I hit 1200 RPM it went totally quiet. The dealer tried everything and finally had MNA come down to check it out. MNA decided the engine was shot and put a new one in ($35K) under warranty. That said, I'm sure a good indie could find the specific problem and fix it for MUCH less.

BTW clacking at startup until warm IS normal. Also, fresh 5W50 quiets it down dramatically.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what are lifters?
Lifters are the part that goes between the camshaft and the valve (or pushrod, rocker arm, etc)
In our engines, they are a multi part "thing" that is is designed to automatically adjust to keep zero clearance between the cam shaft and the valve stem.
Oil is forced into the lifter and the running clearance is then adjusted. If the lifter is broken the oil leaks out, and this results in too much valve clearance.
This extra clearance makes a tapping sound.

http://eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=494&A=1&B=28003&S=:

Part #1 (tappet) is the lifter we are referring to.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just adding to this old thread.

I had a bad lifter noise between 2500-3200 rpms. could hear a brassy sound while driving down the highway. Above and below this rpm range, no noise. Coincides with exhaust valves but clearly from the engine.Loud Tapping was bad at low rpms such as when pulling up the driveway. Worse when hot, especially afte an hour of driving(highway). It was loud enough and getting worse since I bought the car. In all modes and gears. Don't have the car anymore so I did not have to deal with it.

Might be more common that anyone knows.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just adding to this old thread.

I had a bad lifter noise between 2500-3200 rpms. could hear a brassy sound while driving down the highway. Above and below this rpm range, no noise. Coincides with exhaust valves but clearly from the engine.Loud Tapping was bad at low rpms such as when pulling up the driveway. Worse when hot, especially after an hour of driving(highway). It was loud enough and getting worse since I bought the car. In all modes and gears. Don't have the car anymore so I did not have to deal with it.

Might be more common that anyone knows.....

I have a GTS 2011 with exactly the same symptom. ''Tappet /lifter noise between 2.5 K to 3K RPM only'' . This only started as the weather outside got colder in the beginning of October. I did an oil change 6 months before it's due date with no change. I too am looking into sell the Maserati.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
There are a few threads on this issue. It happens on the QP, CC/GS, and all the V12 Ferrari cars. Run a can of Seafoam in the oil only for about 300-500 miles prior to your next change. Should resolve. I have "cured" a few cars with Seafoam where no more was needed going forward with subsequent oil changes. One was particularly bad - sounded like hammer on anvil. The dealers use Tutela honey which absorbs the sound but doesn't cure it. Seafoam is just a solvent.

This happens frequently on all the dry sump cars but it's not common on the wet sump cars. I am assuming that the Seafoam method will fix it but I can't speak from experience on the wet sump cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are a few threads on this issue. It happens on the QP, CC/GS, and all the V12 Ferrari cars. Run a can of Seafoam in the oil only for about 300-500 miles prior to your next change. Should resolve. I have "cured" a few cars with Seafoam where no more was needed going forward with subsequent oil changes. One was particularly bad - sounded like hammer on anvil. The dealers use Tutela honey which absorbs the sound but doesn't cure it. Seafoam is just a solvent.

This happens frequently on all the dry sump cars but it's not common on the wet sump cars. I am assuming that the Seafoam method will fix it but I can't speak from experience on the wet sump cars.

I'm willing on trying anything to resolve this issue.
I replaced the engine oil last week thinking it will fix the problem The new oil has only 1 hour run time on it. I also have the old oil that I drained from the engine which has 6 months left on it before my next oil change. I'll install the old oil back into the engine and try the sea foam and see what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm willing on trying anything to resolve this issue.
I replaced the engine oil last week thinking it will fix the problem The new oil has only 1 hour run time on it. I also have the old oil that I drained from the engine which has 6 months left on it before my next oil change. I'll install the old oil back into the engine and try the sea foam and see what happens.
I has similar intermittent tappet sound that would come & go since my Spyder was new in 2002. I had 3 different Ferrari/Maserati dealerships look at it & each time they said they could not find any issue. I would change the oil every 1 miles & wouldn't hear any noise for a month or so but it always came back. Finally tried half a can of Seafoam a few months ago & have not heard it since.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts