Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a fun car to drive daily for a while. I have driven the 6-speed GT and the GS at our local dealer. I don't particularly care for "squishy" feel of the 6-speed. Although, the 6-speed seems to have a better sensation of speed. Anyway, my bride prefers the CC to the 6-speed.

So, with depreciation on these toys and a pending model update, I'm not interested in a new one. Thus, I have been looking at '04 CC's as I don't care for the body moulding on the GS nor the fabric inserts.

I am curious as to the performance difference between an '04 CC and a current GS? I can't imagine there's a tremendous difference, but I've been wrong before. Any opinions on this?

Also, while driving the GS my wife spied a green Jag XK she liked. I remembered a well equipped green CC in Fort Worth. So, I'm in discussions on their vehicle but haven't seen it in person. Objectively, it's a pretty decent looking car at a seemingly reasonable price, but I haven't seen it in person.

Anyone seen the Maserati green in person? Any thoughts on a green/tan combination?

Thanks in advance for all of your collective wisdom.

·
Registered
773 Posts
color me, green?

i have an 02 cc spyder, blk tan. good for me. green (many shades) from pale sea foam to british(dark) racing, with tan interior, is a perfect combo for any car. the F1 trans with sky hook option is just great fun to drive, and a good option for a used car to have, and at $35 to $40000 a buy considering my 02 purchase in dec. of that year. they were not given away, nor discounted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry to not specify. The green is actually quite dark. Also, I am unclear as to whether this vehicle has skyhook. Frankly, I forgot to ask as I (for some reason) thought CC's after some point all had skyhook. I'll check that Monday. Also, the '04 CC is quite a bit more than $35-$40 grand. It has less than 8,000 miles and can likely be had for mid $50's. Seems fair to me from what I've seen these things offered for.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Green/Tan is definitely a good combo.

as for performance difference, I urge you to have a go at the GS... you might not like the exterior moudlings... but the handling is, IMHO, better than the CC. Depending on your usage, I think both cars can be fun and practical at the same time.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
very traditional british color. works extremely well on jags and aston martins. but on a maserati?.. if you like it, it doesnt matter. Just get what you like!

they even bought out this color combo: green/cuoio for their GS Contemporary Classic edition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove the GS recently and the GT a few weeks ago. I was happy with the handling of both, but I didn't care much for Maserati's 6-speed--Ferrari's gates are a much better manual solution. Although, there was a bit of a sensation that the 6-speed was faster than the GS. I suspect this is largely due to the less refined manner of getting from 0 to 150. The Cambio just keeps going with deceptive ease. Handling-wise, I have to admit I didn't notice a massive improvement in the GS model versus the GT.

I will pretty much drive the car daily for a while, probably about 8,000 miles a year. I can see getting out of the GS after driving in the rain and getting your pant legs wet/dirty on those body mouldings. I can also see my wife jacking them up on a curb when she will inevitably want to drive it. Did I mention that I think the GS fabric is terrible?

I also have no interest in bearing the initial couple of years of depreciation. This is in spite of the fact that the local dealer will sell their current inventory of 2006's right at invoice as they want to move them. I expect this is due to new models on the horizon and relatively soft demand for new vehicles that, unlike their Italian relative, certainly don't command a premium to MSRP when new.

The way I see it, for around $60 grand, you can get a nice car that's a couple of years old with some factory warranty remaining and low miles. Plus, somebody else has hopefully endured the steepest segment of the depreciation curve (which is seriously convex on these babies). I am unaware of a better overall performance/luxury value out there that's also practical and a hoot to drive. The rear seats are actually functional if you had to use them on occasion.

As for the green, I definitely agree about Aston/Jag being a natural for the color. It is not my first choice of color. However, I don't want a black car. My wife won't sign off on red. There are a ton of silver ones about and they look nice, but I've never been much of a silver car guy. My first choice would be blue (strangely like my other vehicles). However, I hadn't really thought much about the green as I'd never seen one before the one in Ft. Worth, but it's a rather refined looking automobile with the tan leather and wood package.

You guys have ideas on a fair price? I expect green is a "discount" color both at purchase and resale.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hiya

My CC is green (Verde Mistral, which is a special spec color; used to be in the 3200 palette, but not on the 4200) with Tan (Beige) hide and Cuoio Sella piping. It is not a common color, given it's non-standard, and everyone (and I mean everyone) who has seen it has said what a nice, what a terrific color combo it is. Agree it may not be as exciting as a Rosso Indianapolis (even though, in the reds, I really like the Rosso Bologna, again with Tan hide) but it is neither commonplace as, say, gray (however noting the darker grays, e.g. Grigio Nuvolari, are really nice).

Ahhh, and if you ever see a Bianco Fuji... nice!

Have also seen a Maser in a British Green-like color in Milan, not bad but not quite right. I think it is the combination of an Italian car and British racing color which is a bit uneasy to the eye.

The alternative to greens is Black, which is another terrific color for the 4200. You see a Black Coupe Zymol'ed and the deep shine is just breathtaking.

If anything, try to avoid the Cuoio Sella as hide, looks nice when you look at the sample but it's a bit orangy when you see it on the car (esp. with good sunlight) and maybe too strong, at least for the eye.

Last comment on the Verde Mistral : it's a deep metallic color, very flaky, so for paint corrections (if you have to do touch-ups on stone chips) it's a bitch.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Troesma said:
Hiya

My CC is green (Verde Mistral, .... with Tan (Beige) ... It is not a common color, ... I really like the Rosso Bologna,...
Nice color. There was a 2003 GT on ebay a few months ago in that. With sella cuoio interior. Medium red is nice. i saw a Rosso Victoria that looked really good in a picture.

... British Green-like color in Milan, not bad but not quite right. I think it is the combination of an Italian car and British racing color which is a bit uneasy to the eye.
There have been a few on ebay both QPs and CCs. Too dark I think.

The alternative to greens is Black...You see a Black Coupe Zymol'ed and the deep shine is just breathtaking.
Not normally a fan of black but this is very true. Saw one in Holland, in the small town of Ede of all places. Very neat.

If anything, try to avoid the Cuoio Sella as hide,
My fave. Frequent in older QPIIIs. Very rich and warm.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I like the Mediterraneo. It is a sporty blue, but without being flashy red or yellow. I did not think Red looked good on the coupe, but does look good on the GS. Just my opinion.

I did exactly what you are considering. I purchased a used 2004 CC with ~10k miles. I was in the upper $50k's. I could have done better on a black or silver one, but I really wanted the blue.

My advice, get the color you really like. You will stare at it for excessive periods of time and spend lots of time cleaning, waxing, etc. Finding the perfect color is important.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts