Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am considering taking this course (the 2 day) in Atlanta. Has anyone taken this course or heard about it and if so, what are people's feelings about it in general? Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did that course in September 06. Can only recommend it. We had a blast, great bunch of people and they really let you drive the GS full out on the track. Autocross competition is a lot of fun and the Panoz Racing School instructors are great to deal with. Especially here in the US where you don't have many opportunities to drive a Maserati the way it was intended to be driven it is well worth it. The hotel and all other facilities are top notch and way better than any other program I have attended in the past.

I hope you end up doing it and have as much fun as I did! Let me know what you decide to do and if you do it I am curious how you experience it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Driving School

I was going to take the course this year as well. I was told at the end of last year that they would be discontinuing the course in 2007 and selling off all of the coupes.They said it was because of the cancellation of coupe production. They do still have some courses in Europe. If you find out otherwise please let me know.
Ron:confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
watch out for these cars

All of the cars were sold, and I haven't heard that they are doing it at all this year.
If you are in the market to buy a Maserati couple/GS watch out for these cars. If you see a car in the market which has never been titled but with a lot of miles on it, most probably it was from this course.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was going to take the course this year as well. I was told at the end of last year that they would be discontinuing the course in 2007 and selling off all of the coupes.They said it was because of the cancellation of coupe production. They do still have some courses in Europe. If you find out otherwise please let me know.
Ron:confused:
I guess this speaks volumes about how the new coupe is considered a Sporty Luxury car, as compared to the current sports coupe.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not really, it isn't out until at least October... Don't write off their sports car \ racing heritage \ future just yet.
While I would like to agree with you, I can't see a sports car company not making sports cars for a year or so.

Can you see Porsche saying to it's customers, "Hey, we won't make the 911 this year, just get a SUV to hold you over"

·
Registered
36 Posts
While I would like to agree with you, I can't see a sports car company not making sports cars for a year or so.

Can you see Porsche saying to it's customers, "Hey, we won't make the 911 this year, just get a SUV to hold you over"
lol

It's funny to see how different crowds have reacted to the new Turismo... on a different car forum I used to frequent back in the day (www.e46fanatics.com, younger crowd), it seems like virtually EVERYBODY is in love with the new body design. Regardless of opinion on looks (and I do believe the new body has been designed with a bit of a younger target audience in mind), what the outside admirers fail to realize is the lack of duo select/cc just kills it.

i'm still on the fence with it physically, but as has been stated already, pretty bummed that they stopped the driving school as a relatively new owner :mad:

·
Registered
160 Posts
"Hey, we won't make the 911 this year, just get a SUV to hold you over"
I think Fred has got a good point here. It will be interesting to see what FIAT will do with MC12 racing. I think they will withdraw from GT racing all together ..... :mad: In ten years time, Maserati will be remembered as a small company desperately trying to copy Mercedes/AMG.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think Fred has got a good point here. It will be interesting to see what FIAT will do with MC12 racing. I think they will withdraw from GT racing all together ..... :mad: In ten years time, Maserati will be remembered as a small company desperately trying to copy Mercedes/AMG.
I certainly don't hope so and I think you are seeing things a little to bleek. The Gran Turismo is a great looking car, I think, and Maserati will bring on a CC version with increased power. For me, the new GT is a real alternative for the QP in a couple of years, as I need 4 seats, but not necessarily 4 doors. I agree with everyone though that in its current state the GT is no option to what I have.

I hope Maserati continues its racing and therwith further it's brand and solidfy the marque.

·
Registered
517 Posts
lol
i'm still on the fence with it physically, but as has been stated already, pretty bummed that they stopped the driving school as a relatively new owner :mad:
No need to be bummed out, you can still get your Maserati on the track with Professional Instruction at the Maserati Owners National Meet. June 22 -25.
www.italiancarsatpocono.com

It is nice to hear that you are interested in tracking your Maserati. I've been watching all the negative posting about the new GranTurismo not having enough HP. It does seem like the people that are complaining are nothing but bench racers and not real drivers that actually track their cars.

These guys look at the pages of Road & Track or Car & Driver, they point out that this car has more power or that car has a faster 0-60 time. But none of them will ever take their cars on the track to fully exploit the mere 400 HP of their current car.

The fact of the matter is that if any of these bench racers turned off the electronic driver aides and tried to use that extra 100 hp they claim they need, the only thing that extra 100 HP will do is get them to the spot in the wall their going to hit sooner!

Joe

·
Registered
82 Posts
I certainly don't hope so and I think you are seeing things a little to bleek. The Gran Turismo is a great looking car, I think, and Maserati will bring on a CC version with increased power. For me, the new GT is a real alternative for the QP in a couple of years, as I need 4 seats, but not necessarily 4 doors. I agree with everyone though that in its current state the GT is no option to what I have.

I hope Maserati continues its racing and therwith further it's brand and solidfy the marque.
I think we need to look at the luxury brands owned by the FIAT Group to predict where Maserati is going. Lets see, there's Lancia (who are possible headed for extinction) and then there's ........

Unfortunately, Maserati is a wonderful brand that has cachet and lure everything that makes it a competitor for the luxury market. FIAT owns Ferrari - so they have that market covered. Its sad, but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just after I decide to transport my car from NJ to LA! i'm sure I can find some good instruction around here this summer :)
Talk to the Southern Cal region of the Maserati Club, we just arranged for a couple of transport trucks to ship their cars from LA area to Pocono & back. About $1,350 each way, we already have at least 1 MC 12, plus a 3500 GT, Bora and a few other cars coming from LA.

Or you can drive it, which is a hell of a lot of fun. I've done it 5 times including in a Ghibli & Bora, it is still the ultimate Road Trip.

Joe

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been watching all the negative posting about the new GranTurismo not having enough HP. It does seem like the people that are complaining are nothing but bench racers and not real drivers that actually track their cars.

Joe
Joe,

If you really think we're all a bunch of poser bench racers who know nothing of the history of the marque, why the hell hang around?

I've driven Infineon, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow without hitting a wall. I didn't turn off the traction control cause the Porsche don't have no fancy driver aids, and I'm very distressed at the lack of respect for the history of the Maserati that Fiat's showing with this warmed over, underdeveloped Coupe.

Quit apologizing for a bunch of corporate beancounters and pull your foot out...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Joe,

If you really think we're all a bunch of poser bench racers who know nothing of the history of the marque, why the hell hang around?

I've driven Infineon, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow without hitting a wall. I didn't turn off the traction control cause the Porsche don't have no fancy driver aids, and I'm very distressed at the lack of respect for the history of the Maserati that Fiat's showing with this warmed over, underdeveloped Coupe.

Quit apologizing for a bunch of corporate beancounters and pull your foot out...
First I applaud you for being one the few that actually tracks their car. That tail happy 911 must be a thrill going down the corkscrew. However there is a bit of a difference between driving a 230 HP 911 and 400 HP car, yet alone 500 HP without driver aids.

How can you claim that the GranTurismo is underdeveloped when neither you nor anyone else has driven it? I don't want to get into a pissing contest, but if you actually examined Maserati's history you would find that the GranTurismo is exactly the type of road car that Maserati has traditionally produced.

They have never produced a hard core race car for the street type of vehicle like Ferrari or Lamborghini. Whereas many of Ferrari's road cars were dual purpose track/street, Maserati were not. For track purposes Maserati built race cars.

The philosophy of Maserati's long time chief engineer Guilio Alfieri was on refinement and comfort. Remember Maserati was known as the car of kings from the days of the 5000GT. The Quattroporte I was considered a sporting alternative to a Rolls Royce. It was the first true Sports Sedan.

Maserati's always had less power and a lower top speed than their Ferrari or Lamborghini counterparts. But it was a car that could be driven for hours on end having the driver and passenger with luggage arriving at their destination in style and comfort. Ferraris and Lamborghinis (not their very early cars) tended to beat up their occupants after more than 2 hours of driving.

In fact the type of cars (regular production) that Ferrari is builiding today are more in line with Maserati's traditional type of car than the type of cars that Ferrari used to build.

Joe
Ghibli SS # 2110
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver test car)
Mistral # 1216 ('67 NY Auto Show Car)
Bora # 1046 (Next to last production car)
Islero # 6243
Mondial Cab # 40713
Lele Marlboro # 184 ('73 Geneva Show Car)
Laforza # 159

Past Maseratis:
Bora # 962
Quattroporte I
Quattroporte III (82)
Quattroporte III (86)
Biturbo Spyder
Biturbo Spyder
Biturbo E

·
Registered
530 Posts
First I applaud you for being one the few that actually tracks their car. That tail happy 911 must be a thrill going down the corkscrew. However there is a bit of a difference between driving a 230 HP 911 and 400 HP car, yet alone 500 HP without driver aids.
Thanks for the applause, but I'm not sure what your point is. Certainly there's a huge difference but it's on the straight, and out of the corners, not necessarily places where driver aids help you. The purpose for taking your car to the track is to build up to 8/10ths, 9/10ths, 10/10ths, and learn where the limits are. If you do that, the drivers aids don't matter. They DO help you have the confidence to get there.

Truthfully, the average driver in an unfamiliar car (or at and unfamiliar circuit) is going to be faster with TC and whatever else turned on rather than being hairy chested and truning them off.

How can you claim that the GranTurismo is underdeveloped when neither you nor anyone else has driven it? I don't want to get into a pissing contest, but if you actually examined Maserati's history you would find that the GranTurismo is exactly the type of road car that Maserati has traditionally produced.
How? Hmm...

They've gone from a two seat spyder and 2+2 coupe to a 4 seater coupe that's considerably longer, wider, and heavier than the car it replaces. At the same time they've used the same engine from the previous car with a minimal 5 HP increase despite having a new 4.7 liter 50+ HP engine available. They've also reported a 5.2 0-60 time. I read that as .4 slower than the previous model. I call it lazy carmaking on a par with the best Detroit has to offer. Not what I expect from Maserati.

They've also yanked the manual and cambiocorsa transmissions in favor of a ZF slushbox.

How'd this happen? They dumped Karl-Heinz Kalbfell, a car guy with credentials from BMW and Rolls Royce for Roberto Ronchi, a beancounter with credentials from Fiat. He ran their Fleet Sales operation.

Actually, they didn't dump Karl-Heinz, he voluntarily departed when "they" took the ready for production coupe/spyder platform along with the new engine and gave it to Alfa - it's the underpinning of the new 8C.

You see where this is going. Fiat has Ferrari to fill the boutique, small volume GT and Sports category. Alfa to fill the mid range and intro sports category. Lancia to fill the Luxury segment. That doesn't leave much for Maserati. Fiat has to reposition the brand to compete in high end luxury with BMW, Aston, Audi and Mercedes/AMG

They have never produced a hard core race car for the street type of vehicle like Ferrari or Lamborghini. Whereas many of Ferrari's road cars were dual purpose track/street, Maserati were not. For track purposes Maserati built race cars.
We'll forget the MC12 cause it's really just an Enzo in disguise. The 300S and 450S were street legal - in the day, you could and would drive to the track and home again.

The philosophy of Maserati's long time chief engineer Guilio Alfieri was on refinement and comfort. Remember Maserati was known as the car of kings from the days of the 5000GT. The Quattroporte I was considered a sporting alternative to a Rolls Royce. It was the first true Sports Sedan.
Quite correct, and Maserati still fills that niche with the modern QP. what they don't have is the A6 GCS or Birdcage. while they were the Car of Kings, they also won at the Nurburgring, Sebring, Indianapolis, and a World Championship for Fangio.

Maserati's always had less power and a lower top speed than their Ferrari or Lamborghini counterparts. But it was a car that could be driven for hours on end having the driver and passenger with luggage arriving at their destination in style and comfort. Ferraris and Lamborghinis (not their very early cars) tended to beat up their occupants after more than 2 hours of driving.
Exactly why I don't have a Ferrari or Lambo.

In fact the type of cars (regular production) that Ferrari is builiding today are more in line with Maserati's traditional type of car than the type of cars that Ferrari used to build.

Joe
Ghibli SS # 2110
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver test car)
Mistral # 1216 ('67 NY Auto Show Car)
Bora # 1046 (Next to last production car)
Islero # 6243
Mondial Cab # 40713
Lele Marlboro # 184 ('73 Geneva Show Car)
Laforza # 159

Past Maseratis:
Bora # 962
Quattroporte I
Quattroporte III (82)
Quattroporte III (86)
Biturbo Spyder
Biturbo Spyder
Biturbo E

1 - 19 of 19 Posts