Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Corvettes since i was 23 (I am now 31). I lusted after one my whole childhood. First i bought a POS 1984 on ebay, fixed it up drove it hard and sold it for a small profit and bought a 1991 Convertable, drove that, sold it at a breakeven, bought a 1999 coupe, sold that and got a 2001 Z06 and then added a 1993 Ruby Red Anniversary coupe at the same time. Sold them both for profit a little over 2 years ago and bought a new 2007 Velocity Yellow MN6 Convertable.

My point is I love corvettes. I have moved up in them over the years and achieved my childhood dream of owning a new convertible. The car has been perfect, no issues and tons of fun. My other childhood dream was to someday get an Italian sportscar and I loved Maserati's and Ferraris.

The current Maserati market is in shambles, resales are TERRIBLE (Not that the late model vette market is any better) but anyway i have been thinking of selling my Vette and buying a 2004 Maserati Spyder that I have my eye on. I think i can actually do that and still come out with 5-8k in my pocket at the end of the sell and buy. I really love these cars as they have a timeless design, the interiors are simply stunning and that Ferrari V8 is musical in nature

My wife thinks i will regret this and has told me that if i want to do it then i should sell her car which is a 1998 E320, give her my 2004 E320 and keep the vette and add the Maserati. The problem there is that then i have to tap into cash reserves to buy the Maserati and who really needs two sports cars

Does anyone here have any experience with the 2002-2006 Maserati Coupes and Spyders?? Am i nuts for thinking I will get the same level of enjoyment out of the Maserati as i have out of my corvettes or do you think it might be fun to move into a different automotive chapter so to speak.

I would be interested to hear the opinions fellow owners. I have mixed feelings on it and am just looking for some candid feedback.

Something like this car would be what I am talking about:
http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/995.../206367#11.jpg

Thanks,
Robert

·
5,887 Posts
Here are a couple of my thoughts...

Most of us here have Maseratis so of course, we love them! If you want an amazing car that is ultra rare, Maserati is a great choice. As a minor correction, Maseratis do not have Ferrari engines. Maseratis have Maserati engines. While the engine design is shared between some Ferrari, Maserati, Alpha models, the engines are still unique.

Maseratis depreciate heavily but so do Corvettes. After the first two years of ownership, it would probably be a wash on that side of things. Regardless, most cars make horrible "investments". If money is an issue, look elsewhere.

Corvettes are a dime a dozen. Get ready to be noticed when you go out in the Mas. This has good sides and bad ;)

Lots of pros and cons in moving from a mass produced American car to a low production Italian car. Check out the search feature on this site. You will find tons of great info.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Once you own one...

I have had my share of Chevelles, Camaros, Vettes and none of them could compare to my Maserati Coupe... Not only the sound, the comfort, the power, the speed, it's just a different ride all together and one that you never get bored with...

I will never go back...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a 78 and 82 Vette way back when. It will definitely be a different experience owning a Maserati. In my day a Vette was all about straight line speed and quality took a back seat, now their pretty reliable, great handlers and almost a year around car. To me Maserati ownership both past and in a few months a new one is more than speed, its about the sight, sound and history. I think many of this board share that same passion. The big possible disappointment is how much a priority you place on straight line speed, these cars just don't have the torque the Vettes have, but if your willing to accept more of a gran tourer experience with a strong hint of power when you need it, you might very well become a fan. The car without a doubt is unique, its lines make most European competition look like a piece of you know what. Like any new car purchase, test drive it, I'm sure that will answer many of your questions.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I know Corvettes are the bast bang for the buck, but that interior is too cheap, sorry. When you are inside an exotic car you feel special, even when the car is standing still. It's not about speed only...

My car is plenty fast, but it's a joy just to sit in it... quite an experience.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
...who really needs two sports cars
well, you don't need 2 sports cars but why not if your wife already approves it?

nothing really against corvettes, but owning a maserati or an italian sports car is on a different level of enjoyment. you will know what the mystique is once u own one.

i really hate people saying resale are terrible. you can buy them now at a fantastic price too. so really it is not that terrible unless you aren't buying them new.

i have an 05 90th anniversary spyder. i enjoy every moment of driving it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
More then love.

I have tons of pleasure to drive my '02 MCC, it's in an underground garage in my condo and want to know something? Sometimes on my way out or just with no reason I go to check the car out to see if everything is ok with it...what cand be wrong? Nothing but I have a passion for Maseratis. I've owned 30 yeah thirty cars in 10 years and none can match this one. I've had BMW's, Mercedes's and lots other from free ones to more pricey but my Maserati gives me pleasure and satisfaction driving it. I have people risking to get a ticket speeding to get closer on the highway to take a look or try to race me but maybe because of my age I am not into games anymore, for me it's just pleasure and if there it'll be a next car it'll be the GS.
I rode in a QP and I've had a feel of riding in a family car, everything was right there conveniently located. No offense but as a single guy sports cars suit me very well and the trickeries ignite my interest. The sport design and the unique interior of a CC or GS with that beautifull leather liner cannot be matched at this kind of money
As far as american cars I have my point of view on them, the old clasics are just astonishing but the cheap post 70's are just with junk cheap interior, plastics from here to the moon.
People argue that the exterior on some american sport cars are nice, yeah maybe but... I'm sorry... I drive the car from inside out, there is where I'm sitting and the pleasure has to be mine first and then maybe shared with the rest.
Maserati offers all that in one package: power, looks, luxury and music.:):):)
h.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Maserati Spyder has the following advantages:

- Great high revving engine (one of the best ever made)
- A good selection of reasonably priced aftermarket parts from FD
- Exclusivity/ panache (you do get noticed)
- Really nice interior
- Probably won't be driven by acne faced 17 year olds in 15 years
- Great price. This is very close to a Ferrari at 1/3 the price used

The disadvantges compared to a C6 include:

- Handling - Stock it sucks. After the FD mods the handling is very good but cowl shake is still brutal (you better be prepared to live with some pretty ugly rattling if you live where roads are bad)
- High Maintenance cost. Despite what people say, the cost of maintaining one of these is not cheap and when something goes it sometimes takes a while and costs big $$ to get parts - it is not a Chevy.
- Quirky electronics and ergonomics. This is a pretty minor point though.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Previous Corvette owner, so my opinion!

I have had the following;

63 split window(awesome!)
94 Vert
2001 Z51vert
2004 Z51 vert

I have the offical Corvette collection that was minted; every car made by Chevy I have the model, Corvette that is, hell I EVEN HAVE THE OFFICIAL PATCH COLLECTION OF every patch made for Corvette and finally memorabilia including a CLOCK!!! So I too WAS a Corvette NUTTTTT!!!!

Now, my wife ALWAYS said she did not care about price but felt like the Corvette was shall we say more "roughian", not very classy. As for me I was just wanting to see if something else got me just as excited to drive. I have also owned a 2000 Lotus Esprit and a Porsche 993, by far AFTER the mods and you can read my post yesteday, this COUPE GT 6 speed NOT CC is the most fun and exciting thing I have ever driven; not to mention as many have said the WOW factor, I mean the car is a 2004 and people actually are taking pics of it going down the road with camera phones; if I was single I told my wife this is a better babe magnet than a puppy at the park and I am a vet! I cannot speak for the convertible but I love my coupe! If the potential cost of maintenance issues does not scare you then pull the trigger and smile!!!!!!!!:D

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Robert,

The Maserati may be in contention these days for the "best bang for the buck" car out there... prices have really dropped. With that said, it's not as far off as you may think in some respects. Here are my thoughts:

You'll still have a very powerful V8 and with an exhaust mod you will be in heaven... I like vette's sound but I love the sound of a Maserati 4200 paired with the Larini Exhaust. It's nearly perfect, IMO.

The suspension is lacking, you'll definitely notice this. We have a good fix for this in our springs.

The interior will blow away the vette 10 fold. It's a serious upgrade.

You'll feel like a million bucks driving in the Maserati... and you will be treated differently, no doubt about it.

You'll spend more on maintenance. If you buy right, and avoid a few pitfalls, then you'll be fine.

This forum is great for getting help and info. Welcome.

-- Jeff

·
Registered
155 Posts
If actual performance is important, get the Gransport then. Same power as a C5 Z06 - ish. Great handling, rear seats you can bring adults in. I've driven mine on track among dozens of Ferraris and it did great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Robert,

I am a current owner of a 2006 Corvette Z06 since October 2005. My Vin # is number 351. I was one of the first to get the new Z06 back in 2005. Saying this I love the car. It has just over 10,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem with the car, not even the unglueing of the top which was common on the Z06's. The Interior was redone to match the exterior color. My Vette is DSOM (Only made 1 Year). I love the navagation unit. The interior is plan but then it is a Chevy so this is ok! This is my 4th Corvette. I have had a 1994 Coupe, 1996 Coupe, 2004 Conv. The Z06 tops them all in performance, as expected.

On to the Maserati. I currently own a 2006 Maserati Gran Sport Spyder. It is a magnificent Italian machine. If you want to be noticed then get the Maserati. The interior is impeccable and very attractive to the eyes. The only down fall is the Becker Radio system. It is shitty. I was thinking of switching to an aftermarket Navigation unit but it will block the climate controls when it would open. On to the performance. I suggest driving in manual mode using the F1 paddle shifters with sport on. Automatic mode is not as aggressive. The F1 transmission shifts great and it handles great around corners. The performance is great. The only problems I have had is a loss in tire pressure a few times and had to replace 3 tires on the car. Not too happy about the Pirelli's. Very expensive and you need to check your tire pressure all the time. Don't know why but that is the case with my car. It only has 5,500 miles and I have been thru 3 tires. The two front tires both development bubbles in the side walls and one of the rear tires blew a hole in the side. Pirelli wouldn't cover them under their warranty(That is a separate issue). Another down fall is the trunk. Very small.

As for having two sports cars....go for it! I do! LOL!

When I walk in my garage the decision is not easy on which one to drive. It usually depends if I am going out with the wife. The Maserati is the car for Saturday nights into the city and around town. It will bring you attention. Most people love the car as they should it is a Maserati.

Rob, If you are looking for enjoyment while driving then go for the Maserati. The base Corvette is a great car but performance wise it doesn't compare to the Z06 or Maserati. Then again if you love Corvettes put up the money and buy the new ZR1. That is a horse of another breed.

Hope this helps your decision. Let me tell you this. Next time I buy a new car it will be a lambo (40th Birthday Present to myself). The car that will be traded for it will be the Maserati not the Corvette. Hope this doesn't confuse you too much. At 31 years old you should be proud that you can get a Maserati, do it and enjoy it!

Jeff Bucks County PA

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Next time I buy a new car it will be a lambo (40th Birthday Present to myself). The car that will be traded for it will be the Maserati not the Corvette. Hope this doesn't confuse you too much.
Two sports car is ok, but two italian is crazy $$$$ :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts