Maserati Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
that car is a DISASTER waiting to happen. My co-worker had the same model - in one year of daily driving she incurred $20,000 in expenses (list is too long to post) - IMO get rid of it now before it's too late! those cars are barely worth $12-15k. She paid $17k and thought she had a "good deal" until the maserati dealership bills totaled more than the car in 13m!!!!
The car we're talking about here is an outstandingly beautiful example of how nice these cars were when new--not some bogus claim about how "bad" your girlfriend's car was. There is no way that she was able to buy an identical 2006 car, from a dealer for $17k and you well know it. The only "DISASTER" here is clowns like you continuing to bad mouth these cars on this forum--and then wondering just why they dont hold their value. As usual, you know the price of everything and appreciate the value of nothing.
It looks like you've been a lurker here for many years and my guess is that you helped her buy the car and feel somehow responsible because YOU didnt tell her to get a PPI--or maybe you "advised" her not to, so she could have just enough money to buy it--rather than the Honda Accord or Jetta that she should have bought instead.
IF she was somehow able to get a 2006 Spyder for $17K and had to put $20k into it, she's still way ahead of the game, but you and I KNOW that your story's not true
These cars never were intended for everybody and if you dont maintain them properly, they can bite you.
The gorgeous red car here is a total winner and would be my first choice if I didnt already own an Anniversary Spyder.
Nevertheless bad mouthing these cars on this forum is totally unnecessary, unwanted and uncalled for.
We're here to share information so knock this crap off.

· Registered
905 Posts
remind me that this was one of the last hand-built Maseratis in Modena under the Ferrari umbrella and how different (in a good way) they are than its contemporaries.
And right there is why the 4200s whether a CC or 6mt, Classico, Facelift, or GS, are such great cars. My apologies to our QP, and GT brothers but the engineering of a 4200 is much more sophisticated than the later cars.
Maserati had been run out of the US market in the late 90's, and Ferrari knew anything less than a spectacular car would be doomed. Ferrari would be selling them beside their own cars. After the divorce the cars (QP and GT) got much cheaper.
I truly think that these will be sought after in the future. Buy one while they are so undervalued.

· Registered
21 Posts
As for OP, I think you can shoot for $45,000 (maybe wiggle room to $40k+). I have seen a couple listed at that in past. But for quick sales $35,000. Issue is these are not in the collector's radar yet. Not many people know these are rare or special. And they still carry the all-around Maserati bad rep (from people who don't even own one). I'm in LA and I snagged my GS Spyder for $22K at 24k miles, Thats about what a regular 4200 goes for. Right now prices are completely CRAZY, for known cars, even crappy "collector" ones. I mean an Alfa Romeo Spider for 20K and some plus, totally redic! A Ferrari 360 now pushing $110K, and not even the Modena version! They were as low as $60k last year! But unfortunately, the GS Spyder don't have that name on tongue demand yet.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts