Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 gs coupe. I have already done the larini mid pipe (x pipe). I want to remove the cats after the mid pipe by replacing that section with straight pipes to the rear boxes. My question is, would it trigger the check engine light. And if it does, does the comp. detune itself. SOme cars will purposely detune themselves when the checkengine light comes on. Do i need to worry about this or can i just go ahead and do it?

I HOPE THE ANSWER IS (GO FOR IT!!!!!)

·
Registered
202 Posts
gransport13 said:
I HOPE THE ANSWER IS (GO FOR IT!!!!!)

Dude, JUST GO MAN...

i was thinking of doing the same thing, i have straight pips for the back. i know that the european model has only one cat , and the us version had to have two of them for emission purposes.

in regards to the check engine light, i have a odb2 chip that can reset the check engine light on most cars. the thing is called carchip (http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/drive_product.asp?pnum=08221)and i use it to get a graphical summary of my acceleration and speed.

Now i don't know if it will reset the Maserati i have never had the need, but i revert back to my first comment GO FOR IT MAN!!!!

Good Luck,

Willie

·
Registered
187 Posts
you should search "racing exhaust system" in the search feature of this forum. There have been many people who put thousands of dollars into thier exhaust only to achieve what takes a few dollars. One member is $20000.00 into euro headers, kressieg f1 exaust and backboxes only to be at the same exact power as say..me, who only has spent $600.00 and have achieved the same results including big ass tailpipes with no back boxes, a smooth X with no resonator and loads of power with the "talk of the track day" sound. I did not remove the rear cats NOR do I have the tuning he has installed and we have the same power results. However, removing those last cats do have an impact on sound. It is in the oweners own description "UNSTREETABLE". Sounds like a super loud jet/croch rocket.
There might be more tuning availible than he has to make a larger power increase, but currently nobody offers a true custom tune to make the most of it. Even then, you are only talking 5 horsepower.

hope this helps, since I saved all that money on the exhaust, I figured I could part with my 2 cents for you. :)

Robb

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think Gransport13 and I may have talked by phone about my Kreis-sieg system. For the extra money you do get the ability to turn that insane sound on and off with a switch, and you get a racing cat that keeps the computer happy so you can get an emissions sticker when that unhappy time comes round.

Shortly before the dyno test in Houston I had driven the Maserati a good distance on the beach, and learned some time later that the cells in the BMC air filter were full of sand. (Beware driving these cars in the sand!) Now with a new air filter it feels a whole lot more powerful. I need to do another dyno test to get at the truth.

The implication I wasted money has certainly come up before. Well, along those lines I guess we all did by choosing a Maserati instead of a faster and much cheaper car like a Corvette or Cobra Mustang.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the replies. And yes CDF I do remember talking to you. The fact that you put that money into the car is fine by me. I have a 1997 mustang gt that i have put over 80k into throught the years and sadly to say it would smoke anyone of our beloved maseratis. Even the beloved MC12 so people thought i was crazy to do that to a mustang. I answer " because I can". Now in reference to the cats I donnot have to pass emmissions until 2011 so I am cool. I am just worried about the car detunning it self because of the check engine light.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, what about the original question. Hard to get answers because so few people seriously tune their Maseratis. With the racing cat I occasionally get a CEL due to "reduced warm up efficiency for right/left catalytic converters" (which of course were removed). I don't observe any detuning while the light's on.

Lots of Ferrari and Porsche owners remove their cats and put in test pipes. I'm planning to spend a little time at Ferrarichat where there are over a million posts to read. If some F360/430 owner writes anything that sheds light on the detuning question, I'll be back. All I know so far is Ferraris do tend to get the CEL with test pipes, but the problem can be resolved with ECU reprogramming.

By the way, if anyone browsing the thread is wondering what test pipes are, here's a Cliff's Notes version from www.the355.com:

Test Pipes

What are test pipes? Well, these are a replacement for catalytic converters. They consist of a piece of straight tubing with positions for the lambda sensors just as in the catalytic converters. They are referred to as test pipes because they are not road legal and therefore would normally only be used for testing purposes. They are also often referred to as 'cat bypass pipes'. A car with these installed is often referred to as a de-cat'ed car.

TUBI make a set of bypass pipes, pictured below. For a couple of pipes they are a bit on the expensive side at around £200. However, they have the effect of transforming the car, especially when combined with an aftermarket exhaust. The standard catalytic converters are a bit restrictive and so onced remove the engine feels more responsive, even though there really isn't any extra power. It just has better 'pick-up' if that makes any sense.

An alternative to removing the cats is to replace them with high performance cats. These are a lot more expensive than test pipes but they have the advantage of being able to keep the car within emmissions regulations.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Has any one contacted Hyper-Flow or the like to see if they have a high flow cat for the Maser?

-dsd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts