Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a QP and wanted to know how the ride is compared to the coupe. Is it more comfortable (like a Merc) or more harsh (like the coupe?). Also, does the clutch wear out on the QP like it does on the coupe? Are there any other costs to maintain the QP that are more than the coupe? How does the QP compare to the Merc S class or other luxury sedans?

Thanks,
Zearnold
'04 Maserati Coupe
'04 Mercedes E320
'04 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,

can't compare to the Coupe but I had a few other big cars (mainly BMW "the drivers car") the latest a 745i (with body-roll control). The BMW (745i) is good but the QP is just at another level! A real drivers car. You'll take the long way home! Ride is harder but not annoying. Motor is to die for and you'l be revving it much more than you should just for fun. And the sound, ah (especially with a tubi). F1 could be slightly better but I do prefer it to the BMW ZF Auto. However I do only 15% city driving and in stop and go the F1 is a bit annoying. If you do 50%+ city I would wait for the new full automatic ZF QP....
So it is much more much appealing, sporty, stunning than almost any BMW, MB, Jaguar, Audi.....

Now the "bad" things: Trunk is much smaller. Maintenance more expensive. Drinks more premium gasoline. Too few service places and that can be a bore if you make many long trips and you need assistence. If something breaks you need more days to repair it since dealers normally don't have parts in stock and they have to come over from Italy. Less electronic gadgets than a BMW (can be good also). Finally the car attracks much more attention and looks (my windows are always dirty from people peaking into the car) then I suspected.....and sometimes you don't feel ok letting it parked in a parking lot/street....

Great car, I love it and so far (30.500km) the only problems I had was a suspension sensor breaking down (warranty and I could drive the car meantime) and the keys were not as drop-proof as my BMW ones.....

Go for it! (my choice now would be Sport GT but with 19' wheels)

PS when changing I was doubting between M5 V10, S6/S8 and the QP (need 4 doors) and went for the QP. It is much more sexy and has soul. The M5 is probably the better, easier, faster, more rational choise but has less (no?) soul...The M5 is a hell of a car...the QP is a lifestyle

·
Registered
278 Posts
oops just see that you have the coupe so most things I have been going on about you knew already....sorry..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the QP is sportier than the 7er and S.
the suspension in both normal/sport modes are less harsh than the Coupe/Spyder/GS (point of reference = QP with sports susupension, 19" wheels) but by no means soft.

being "front-mid engine, rear wheel drive", the QP does have driving dynamics that these competitors can dream of.

you should take one out for an extended test drive and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buy your QP and join the family

If you can afford it and love to drive, then go for it. I love mine, an amazing machine! The looks and admiring glances is something that I never grow tired of..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can't compare to coupe but to MB-SClass and BMW 7, as well as Audi A8 - They simply do not compare! The QP is a much more involving drive. The ride is good but the suspension really shines when driven faster and harder. The QP ride is not as buttery as a Lexus or a MB, it is also not as harsh as you might expect from a sport sedan as capable as the QP. It is much better than the current Audi RS6 with the Lambo engine though.

I love mine and wouldn't want any other car. For me it is the right compromise between an large luxury sedan and an involving sports car. If you love to drive this is the sedan to go for!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
QPIE003 said:
... It is much better than the current Audi RS6 with the Lambo engine though....
cosworth (or what it used to be). not lambo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
M! said:
cosworth (or what it used to be). not lambo.
Sorry M! I misspoke: The Audi S6 is powered by the Lambo V-10, not sure if Audi hast the RS designation in the current line up of the A6 model anyway. The S6 is the one with the stiff ride (read punishing), and the Lambo engine. Thanks for pointing out my error.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts