Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,:D

I'm thinking about buying a Biturbo, and wondered what people's opinions where on this Biturbo on eBay.:autofahrer:

Link.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
In general, all cars of that era (biturbo, 224, 222, etc) are considered junk, and for good reasons.

Historically, Maserati went bankrupt because of those cars, they were a complete failure, so they hold no real historical value (didn't win any races or whatever). They were made because of a stupid idea that some idiot (Mr. Tomaso) had, to make cars that were supposed to "take over the US market". End result, the cars were junk from the factory, full of problems and what made Maserati's bad name of reliability.

Anyway, about the car you posted above, it has a lot of rust and needs a lot of work. Are you willing to spend so much money? If you are an engineer yourself, then you might be willing to work on the car on your free time, otherwise the money required to bring that car to good level is too much.

Also, finding parts for that car will be a problem, unless you buy ANOTHER biturbo of the same type and just strip it from the components that you need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lester.
What blue is saying is not necesarrily the case. He is right about the one on ebay. i have a 85 biturbo and thank god it is a well sorted one. No real issues and runs like a mother when the twin turbos kick in.
These cars can be alot of fun but they can be tempermental and are not the best daily drivers.
Look for one that has had the infamous fuse box replaced as the ones with the original fuse boxes cause alot of problems. Swapping the fuse box is the first order of business if you buy one with the original box.
The next thing to look at is the turbos. White smoke run, blue smoke run. The turbos can run 1000.00 US to rebuild and another 1000.00 to install. I know i replaced mine due to cracked wastegate seals. Which most of these cars have due to high heat. They still work with the cracked seals but dont get full or keep the boost at max.
Anyway dont be discouraged if you love the car you should get one. If you only like the car maybe not.
Parts are always available thru ebay or david askew in the UK.

Good luck.

85 Biturbo
88 911 Turbo
90 Esprit Turbo

·
Registered
32 Posts
I liked mine, granted it was far from stock...made mine into an autocrosser. They're size made them perfect for autocross. With that said, they're a nightmare to find parts for....luckily there are lots of parts cars around (my area at least).

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That one on ebay is a hoopty. I just bought one for $600, 60,000mi 3 owners solid body. The turbos went bad so the last mechanic removed the engine and began diassembly to rebuild and fit bigger turbos.

Are you looking for a project/fixxer upper or a completely sorted out car?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try Mecum

1985 Maserati BiTurbo E

Selling at Mecum Auction, Kissimmee, FL, with no reserve, on January 27, 2011.

Scheduled to be sold Thursday at 9:10PM.

Televised on HD Theatre.

1985 Maserati Bi Turbo E NotchBack Cpe 185 HP, 5-Speed for sale by Mecum Auction

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
BTW that sold for $5,250 according to website

·
Registered
175 Posts
Apparently there are a couple of good Biturbos for sale on the DC craigslist, all you have to do is come up with his/ her $19,000 asking price for both cars. That should not be read as a judgement of the owner (in case he reads this). Had I such disposable income I would have bought them straight away when the ad first appeared, even if I was too young to drive.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Apparently there are a couple of good Biturbos for sale on the DC craigslist, all you have to do is come up with his/ her $19,000 asking price for both cars. That should not be read as a judgement of the owner (in case he reads this). Had I such disposable income I would have bought them straight away when the ad first appeared, even if I was too young to drive.
These have been for sale for several years now. Never looked at them personally. The owner is a character (I mean that in a good way), has names for each of them. IIRC they are Carmella and Sofia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bad cars

I have a Biturbo 425 and it is brilliant.As for bad cars I suppose we can start a debate about the subject-1.7 million recalls for Toyota in 2010.However, I agree the Biturbo is temperamental-lots of love and care needed.But hell, I enjoy mine!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you can find a late model with the 4 valve engine that has been looked after - they are great. If your budget will stretch, then find an early well looked after Ghibli. If you are in the US, these are getting very close to the 25 year rule.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '87 Spyder with FI and it runs well, low miles, no rust, original everything. only issue is the windshield is starting to delaminate as these are known to do.
It's not a practical daily driver, but its great in the summer in good weather.

I haven't had any problems finding parts, there's a place in Italy that seems to have every nut and bolt for the car, the prices are not any worse than any other exotic, only bad cost is the shipping.

Probably I should sell mine or swap it for something more practical that I could drive in the NY winters.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Rust is a killer on these. If there's any, walk away. They're also very low to the ground. Oil plans can get sheered off like nothing. Emissions equipment is awful.

When the car is running at 90% or better they are ton of fun. GTV6 is a better 80's Italian car IMO. If you can find the tail end of the Biturbo cars they are a lot more interesting. Ghibli coupe is neat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. @ mike over
If you need help, try one of these facebook groups, they are very helpful and know what they are talking about, as they are all proud owners.:

https://web.facebook.com/groups/308749512544999/
https://web.facebook.com/groups/2455747438/
https://web.facebook.com/groups/biturbo.tech/

I love mine, had some trouble getting it to run in the very beginning, but there after... runs every day and never a problem, yes they have a bad reputation, but that's usually from someone who doesn't own one from all that I have read. Parts are somewhat expensive... but compared to most new cars since 2015, its about the same (not including the cheaper models).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts