Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a Coupe GT, most likely a 2002 with 5-6k on it. I test drove one and I admit I am impressed by the feel, the response and the sound of the engine. I loved the response of the engine to bleeping the throttle for heel-and-toe downshifting - phenomenal! The responsiveness of the suspension, at least in the sport mode was a pleasant surprise, as I was expecting more of grand touring type of ride. The car isolates the driver a lot less than I expected from what the tires try to communicate. It does a good job of hiding its weight too. All this is good, as I prefer sports cars to GTs (current and favorite car to date: BMW MCoupe). Also, the feel of the car from a driver's perspective was way superior to that of a BMW 645i, which I was (but no longer) considering.
My first impressions of the GT versus the MCoupe (or the 993
Porsche I have had experience with) is that (a) handling beat my expectations (but I still give the edge to the MCoupe) and (b) the engine
is a true gem, has real soul and is the strongest advantage of this car.

Now for the concerns. Some posts I have read on this forum notwithstanding, my impression from the car I drove is that it will have considerably more rattles and little sqeaks after a few thousans miles than my MCoupe. Not my first concern, but worth mentioning.

Reliability. I would really like to hear from owners who have put serious miles on their cars. I intend to put 10k+ miles a year on mine and use it daily. It kind of makes me a little uncomfortable that most 2002 and 2003 Coupes I see for sale have less than 6k miles. Does anybody drive these cars as a daily driver? I have some appreciation for Italian character (spent a few years tossing around Alfas in my native Greece), but I do not equate soddy workmanship and having relatively new components fail unpredictably with "excitement" and "character".

Finally, call me weird, but I have not taken any of my cars to a shop for non-warranty work in the last 20 years. I like to do stuff myself and I keep my cars a long time. I do pretty much everything, short of a block rebuild. What will be greatly appreciated are any educated guesses, from old hands out there, about the probability of a decent repair manual appearing for this car .

Thanks to all who care to respond.

·
Registered
252 Posts
First off I would look into when they changed the clutch on Maserati, From what I have read they switched it after the original 2002's. Also by going with a 2003 you will get another year of warranty. I traded a "02 M3 SMG for an "04 Spyder GT and while yes that car is quick I did not find it very fun for sporty driving. It seems you are way to disconnected from the driving experience. Maserati gives you that drive by the seat of your pants feeling. I have not heard much about squeaks and rattles being a problem with the coups. I might have only put on 2,000 miles since getting car April 1st but have driven every single day. Even now I cannot wait to Finnish my Coffee and jump into for my ride to work. So now after driving the Spyder for 7 months I can easily say it is by the far the most fun I have had with a car. Also have not been back to dealership since picking up car so quality seems very good, Had an early Boxster S and that car had 3 trips in for problems in first driving season. Engine is pretty much a straight forward V8 so I would think with a proper manual you could continue to do much of your own work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Amazing...i also have an M Coupe....

I have a '99 Imola Red M coupe... I absolutely love it. I bought an '02 Maserati Coupe GT about a month ago, and i love it even more. First of all, there is NO comparison. I really dont want to sell my Coupe, but the 20K will come in handy in paying this Maserati off. Although I bought my car with 10K miles on it, i have driven it about 3K miles in the last month...because i drove it here from Texas (i'm in Los Angeles). I use my car as a daily driver and have no problems whatsoever. The GT itself is kind of a pain to get used to. The stick gets stuck shifting between 1st and 2nd sometimes, but i'm used to it... and i've mastered it by now. Other than that, the car is amazingly beautiful and powerful. Go for it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
im gonna have to agree.. working for a dealership, especially one that specializes in highline cars has given me an extraordinary oppurtunity to drive a lot of cars..

the m coupe is definately an impressive machine. i believe the newest versions were the fastest bmw's until e42? m5 was released.. and i definately love the look of that car, if for no other reason than how unique it is.

but the driving experience cannot be compared to the maser. the maser sounds better, looks better, and is overall more fun to drive. personally i really love the 993 porsches as well, but again i think the maser wins. i think you hit the nail on the head when you said the maser communicates more to the driver than most other sports cars out there these days, including the 996 Porsche's. plus, the maser has the traction control, rev limiter, abs, assisted steering, and engine management all tied together.. sport mode turns down the traction control and abs, which i find much better than m coupe's on or off fine tuning.

i would say that these do tend to get a few more squeaks and rattles than some other cars, but i think the other cars catch back up a few years later.. i think this is most likely to do with the fact that these cars are hand built..

as far as working on them yourself, there are arguments for either side, but im willing to bet that this is in about the same league as the m coupe to work on. (although im sure there are more parts \ information available for the m coupe than the maser, just because of market saturation. but if you cared about that you'd be driving a honda civic)

one little tidbit - the maser shocks have threaded tubes with coil-over springs. all you have to do is put it on a jack, and you can change the ride height as soon as you get it home. i personally think an inch off of these looks awesome.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver. So far, so good. I have had the following:

1. Trunk does not close, adjusted by dealer, new pin
2. Some recalls done during the 6000 mile service (fuel line, steering bolts, etc.)
3. Rattle, audible at idle. Cat shields got tightened, rattle still there
4. Low batt light, went away with driving the car
5. Parking brake was engaging on last click, adjusted
6. Nav system software issues, still troubleshooting, might need factory CDs, on backorder from selling dealer

Overall, nothing major, but I have only put on a 1000 miles so far. I have owned an M6, a 318ti, and have test driven the M Roadster before I purchased my Boxster, and the other repsonders are right, there is no comparison. For me, it is the craftmanship, the exclusivity, and the styling that sets is apart. BMWs are very competent dynamically. When it comes to reliability, BMW and Mercedes slipped quite seriously as of late, so you are not going to be in a completely different zone with the Maser. As long as you are not expecting a Camry...
:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The most noticable thing with the Maserati is the looks and comments you'll get. The other day I was getting out of my black CC coupe and this quite lovely woman, driving the other way, slows way down and says "nice car!" My wife and two kids were already out of the car waiting for me. The wife wasn't amused.(she's a good sport though). My kids teachers, both middle aged women, keep bugging me for rides. I say this cause I never got this attention in my red NSX. There's something about the Maserati...oh, and it's fun to drive too :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
marcw
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing