Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 6 speed last month, 2004, and I keep looking at the GS.........I think I want to try the F1 but then as my brother says; you already have had a sort of shift/auto with the tiptronic on the BMW and the Porsche, and it is not that exciting; but I love the GS look, in and out,guess I have to decide what is most important...........looks or driving,lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Either way.....

You're driving a Maserati, which is so much better than anything short of an F430...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I just got my 6 speed last month, 2004, and I keep looking at the GS.........I think I want to try the F1 but then as my brother says; you already have had a sort of shift/auto with the tiptronic on the BMW and the Porsche, and it is not that exciting; but I love the GS look, in and out,guess I have to decide what is most important...........looks or driving,lol

You won't be disappointed with the shifting/driving of the GS, once you've practiced a bit. F1 engineers can't be all wrong...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't agonize - easy decision - F1 CC transmission is a superb piece of engineering. Took me 4 or 5 weeks or driving and experimenting to master it, but once you get it, you'll realize how superior it really is to a regular "stick shift." Very few people get to appreciate Ferrari race car technology first hand - Maserati GranSport owners do!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Agree with El Capitano......I've been driving BMW 5 and 6 speeds for close to 20 years and wondered the same as I was about to step into my '06 GS. After about two days of driving, it got it. As much fun as it is to drive a stick, you can improve your driving game so much more by having both hands on the wheel and dialing into the gearbox exactly when you need it. It's just incredible! :D You won't regret the decision.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As a brand new owner and also only previosuly owning "sticks" I can confirm that this transmission is phenomenal. With 2 days behind the wheel and 400 miles I am getting it. It brings the driving experience full circle compared to what you thought you knew about cars.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
your bro is right. it is not that exciting with the tiptronic on the (BMW) and Porsche.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Manual vs. F1

DogDoc,
I recommend you find one and drive it! I have been fortunate enough to own a few automatic BMW's and a 911S manual 6 speed and for me, there was no comparison to my CC coupe. Keep it on sport manual mode and shift at redline....when it hits third and is pulling hard in less time than you can push in the clutch on a manual...well, thats what did it for me! The rev matching and throttle blipping (same thing) are way cooler than anything else I've ever driven. The only thing I thought was a little strange was having an aotomatic mode that did not downshift when you pressed the throttle hard while in a higher gear. After a short time and a talk with the service manager at the dealer, I followed his advise and began driving it like a manual on sport mode all the time. It is more entertaining and I think the clutches last longer that way,from what I've read on the forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agree with El Capitano......I've been driving BMW 5 and 6 speeds for close to 20 years and wondered the same as I was about to step into my '06 GS. After about two days of driving, it got it. As much fun as it is to drive a stick, you can improve your driving game so much more by having both hands on the wheel and dialing into the gearbox exactly when you need it. It's just incredible! :D You won't regret the decision.
x2. Took me about a week. I love my CC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
F1 shifting

Other vehicle is z car. While the z is faster and you can feel more of the car responding, the F-1 shifting in the mas ALWAYS sends me back to drive that car . . . more fun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do a search on "Clutch" in this forum.

If you don't mind changing out clutches and F1 pumps, go for a CC.
I'm sticking with the stick.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Tiptronic on a motorcycle would be an interesting project!
Yamaha currently produces an electrically operated clutch and shifter based upon their standard six speed sequential transmission. It is offered on one of their larger bikes. It has issues, but it is only a matter of time...

Now, returning back to topic.

My personal preference is a F1, SMG, or DCT transmission, I've plenty of seat time with stick shifts. I am ready for the new stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Triptronic on motorcycle . . .

Closest thing to that I've seen is the old Honda ct70s with 3 gears to change but no hand clutch . . . . just let off gas and kick it into next gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Tiptronic on the BMW is not really comparable to the Maserati CC system. It's a torque converter automatic that you can operate manually – not a true manual. The CC system on Maserati is a racing transmission derived from the transmission employed on F1 race cars. It is a true manual in the sense that it has a real clutch, but the clutch is operated by a hydraulic system. Personally, I think it’s a ton of fun. Shift times, in sport mode with the tach above 5500 RPMs, is 300 nanoseconds. No human could shift that fast. It allows you the control and quickness of a manual, without the distractions of a clutch and a shifter that takes your hands off the wheel. Of course…mine is in the shop having the F1 pump replaced right now, so be prepared for a big maintenance bill….

1 - 20 of 23 Posts