Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker and new member. I have been a Ferrari owner for the last 7 years, 360 Spider, but sold last year due to being tired of the continuous maintenance and fear of something breaking!

With that being said, I am looking at a 2014 GT MC Convertible. Maybe I am a glutten for punishment? LOL..But from what I have heard from owners, it is much more reliable than the 'Rari was.

I am doing a full PPI with my Independent tomorrow. Anything to keep an extra eye out for? I knew all the weak points in my 360. Can you guys advise me what they are on the GT? Is the Top Mechanism reliable?

It only has one key FOB and Key, but the key code card is in the owners packet. is that good enough to get a spare? and How much should I expect to shell out for a Key #2 ?

Thanks in advance and will post some pics if all goes well!

Chris

·
Registered
441 Posts
by that year model, variator issues are pretty much no longer, but listen for any rattles on cold starts or when lifting off the throttle after acceleration.
timing cover seals near the bottom. valve cover gaskets at the rear corners which will potentially drip on cats.
full services are great when recommended, but diff fluid is crucial i'd say. hard driving, the fluid will be black by 12k miles.
haven't had many issues with soft tops, periodically a microswitch will go bad or have tang bent out. occasionally one the of the c pillar inner trims won't align right.
look for tire wear to indicate an alignment is needed. regular alignments are great two fold, for tire wear and also to keep the lower control arm bolts from seizing in their bushing.s

key fobs are a variable market, i've seen as low as ~500 and as much as ~1200 for just the fob w/cut keyblade. factor another half to 1 hour for programming. the key code card on hand will speed up the process.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this car failed PPI horribly. Every body panel on the shows paint work. They even I have pics in case anyone is looking at the MC Convertible in Costa Mesa, PM me. I paid for Transport and PPI, so I am out about $500 now. I guess the search continues. What a waste of time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by that year model, variator issues are pretty much no longer, but listen for any rattles on cold starts or when lifting off the throttle after acceleration.
timing cover seals near the bottom. valve cover gaskets at the rear corners which will potentially drip on cats.
full services are great when recommended, but diff fluid is crucial i'd say. hard driving, the fluid will be black by 12k miles.
haven't had many issues with soft tops, periodically a microswitch will go bad or have tang bent out. occasionally one the of the c pillar inner trims won't align right.
look for tire wear to indicate an alignment is needed. regular alignments are great two fold, for tire wear and also to keep the lower control arm bolts from seizing in their bushing.s

key fobs are a variable market, i've seen as low as ~500 and as much as ~1200 for just the fob w/cut keyblade. factor another half to 1 hour for programming. the key code card on hand will speed up the process.
Thanks Scoob, much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, this car failed PPI horribly. Every body panel on the shows paint work. They even I have pics in case anyone is looking at the MC Convertible in Costa Mesa, PM me. I paid for Transport and PPI, so I am out about $500 now. I guess the search continues. What a waste of time.
I feel badly for you, but that $500 PPI just saved you a TON of money!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel badly for you, but that $500 PPI just saved you a TON of money!

Thanks Tal. Yea you are right. It sure did save some big money in the long run. I think I have found another but its across the country! Wondering if I should even pursue it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's pretty bad for their reputation. I've seen ferrari dealers and aston martin dealers knowingly selling cars with accidents without drawing attention to them in the description by not including a free Carfax or the accident wasn't on Carfax but was obvious even from pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts